Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Pryor on Fire posted:

Have you literally never taken any class related to economics, money, or business, while simultaneously never having any single conversation with anyone about how pricing works?

Come on, at least he isn't misusing excessively powerful SSDs for gaming.

In seriousness, some people actually browse SH/SC to learn things. It shouldn't come as a surprise if someone made a few wrong turns in life and says something wrong on the internet. You could just ignore the post and move on, or actually be helpful to a layman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

Have you literally never taken any class related to economics, money, or business, while simultaneously never having any single conversation with anyone about how pricing works?

Wow, I just mentioned that Intel didn't lower their prices during Pentium 4 era (as far as I know) even though they had a vastly inferior product than AMD, which is an indicator there's even a lower chance they'll do it now. Chill the gently caress down.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Otakufag posted:

Wow, I just mentioned that Intel didn't lower their prices during Pentium 4 era (as far as I know) even though they had a vastly inferior product than AMD, which is an indicator there's even a lower chance they'll do it now. Chill the gently caress down.

They probably can't get away with it now because what saved them in the Pentium 4 era was everyone assumed mhz = speed, and they'd reached a brick wall there. So people in the know new AMD was better but most people looking at the specs wouldn't realize that.

Now, the Ryzen look better both on benchmarks and things that a random person would look at and think more=better (specifically, cores). And the people buying the really high-end chips are almost certainly comparison shopping and Intel will need to respond there.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

evilweasel posted:

They probably can't get away with it now because what saved them in the Pentium 4 era was everyone assumed mhz = speed, and they'd reached a brick wall there. So people in the know new AMD was better but most people looking at the specs wouldn't realize that.

Now, the Ryzen look better both on benchmarks and things that a random person would look at and think more=better (specifically, cores). And the people buying the really high-end chips are almost certainly comparison shopping and Intel will need to respond there.

Don't forget the illegal as gently caress price fixing/rebate scam, where they locked in every major manufacturer with an exclusivity deal, where they get a $300 proc for like $90, but only if they only use intel chips. 10 years later they got slapped with a huge fine for it, about 8 years too late to fix the issue.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Don't forget the illegal as gently caress price fixing/rebate scam, where they locked in every major manufacturer with an exclusivity deal, where they get a $300 proc for like $90, but only if they only use intel chips. 10 years later they got slapped with a huge fine for it, about 8 years too late to fix the issue.
intel is particularly lucky nobody wants to bother with ARM yet largely because microsoft has yet to jump ship from x86-64 or move towards ARM operating systems

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

intel is particularly lucky nobody wants to bother with ARM yet largely because microsoft has yet to jump ship from x86-64 or move towards ARM operating systems

Windows RT :smuggo:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

isn't part of that microsoft still wanting to sell a regular surface tablet since intel poo poo the bed on making <3w atom chips?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NewFatMike posted:

Windows RT :smuggo:

You mean that thing that's pretty much dead? They haven't even brought it up to Windows 10 level, or introduced a version for 64 bit ARM, it's not been touched since 2015.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

isn't part of that microsoft still wanting to sell a regular surface tablet since intel poo poo the bed on making <3w atom chips?

The Surface tablets with ARM was discontinued in January 2015, and the only other Windows RT device in production was a Nokia tablet that got discontinued in February 2015.

Since the Surface 3, all "Surface" branded devices have been x86-64.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

fishmech posted:

You mean that thing that's pretty much dead? They haven't even brought it up to Windows 10 level, or introduced a version for 64 bit ARM, it's not been touched since 2015.

The Surface tablets with ARM was discontinued in January 2015, and the only other Windows RT device in production was a Nokia tablet that got discontinued in February 2015.

Since the Surface 3, all "Surface" branded devices have been x86-64.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/31/14450780/microsoft-windows-10-cloud

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

That's not actually targeted at ARM CPUs at the moment. Current plans seem to suggest it's going for the low-end x86 laptop market again, in a similar way to Windows 7 Starter.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I keep hearing rumours that Apple will ditch Intel for ARM in their laptops. This wouldn't have a massive effect volume wise but with the amount of press Apple gets for every little thing it would seem like a bigger deal for Intel.

mewse
May 2, 2006

priznat posted:

I keep hearing rumours that Apple will ditch Intel for ARM in their laptops. This wouldn't have a massive effect volume wise but with the amount of press Apple gets for every little thing it would seem like a bigger deal for Intel.

I've heard that and related rumours that they will lock down the app store like iOS so they won't be general purpose computers anymore

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve heard that Apple murders Christian children and uses their blood to manufacture iDevices.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mewse posted:

I've heard that and related rumours that they will lock down the app store like iOS so they won't be general purpose computers anymore

Gross. Isn't that also something Microsoft is planning too, only signed apps from their store? They probably have a disable switch (hopefully) though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

priznat posted:

Those rumors started about as soon as Apple finally dumped PowerPC, over 10 years ago (and before that, there were people swearing the next move after PowerPC would be ARM, just as others swore it'd be MIPS or whatever).

Really what makes that particular rumor bullshit though, is the lack of mentioning what they'd do with their desktops. It really wouldn't make sense for them to make ARM laptops but still just x86-64 Mac Pros and iMacs.

priznat posted:

Gross. Isn't that also something Microsoft is planning too, only signed apps from their store? They probably have a disable switch (hopefully) though.

Windows RT only ran apps from the store by default, but no one cared because a) nobody bought Windows RT devices and b) there weren't really any ARM-architecture Windows applications to run that weren't on the Windows store to start with.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Microsoft has seemed to have a hardon for that ever since they started pushing TPM -- they kept saying total trusted execution path will protect everyone from viruses blah blah. I think their customers would revolt.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

priznat posted:

If this were true, this'd go over so goddamn well (like not). While most people just browse the drat web, a fair share of them have very occasional bouts of power usage, and this is where ARM will gently caress them over and upset them. Both in performance and app availability.

mewse
May 2, 2006

fishmech posted:

Really what makes that particular rumor bullshit though, is the lack of mentioning what they'd do with their desktops. It really wouldn't make sense for them to make ARM laptops but still just x86-64 Mac Pros and iMacs.

Apple has been neglecting their entire desktop line

quote:

The Mac mini was last updated in October 2014
The full iMac range was updated in October 2015
For many this 2013 Mac Pro didn't ship until spring 2014 though

The performance hasn't been there to justify a refresh but the neglect might mean they'll tell people to hook up a macbook pro to a monitor

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

fishmech posted:

Those rumors started about as soon as Apple finally dumped PowerPC, over 10 years ago (and before that, there were people swearing the next move after PowerPC would be ARM, just as others swore it'd be MIPS or whatever).

Yeah it's a rumour with just enough "yeah that could be" to keep it alive. Especially with laptops as underpowered as the Macbook in the product lineup with beefy ipad pro tablets. Convert the macbook to be a different form factor ipad pro with an attached keyboard and trackpad and.. I have no idea what the point of that would be.

It seems everyone is wondering what the heck Apple is planning with their desktops, they did refresh the iMac somewhat but the Mac Pro hasn't been refreshed in like 3 years now? The only CPUs that would make sense for those would be Xeon/HEDT really.

It's all academic interest for me since I wouldn't be getting an Apple desktop/laptop anyway but they get the headlines..

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Thing is that iMacs usually just get laptop type chipsets placed into them. They've slacked on that lately, but they were also pretty slow to do the last line of MacBook refreshes. It would be weird for them to completely discontinue the iMac when they're still selling pretty well in comparison to the MacBooks.

And as for the Mac Pro not getting updated, well, their last update also took many many years - before the 2013 trashcan Mac Pros, the last real update had been in 2010 (there was a 2012 "update", but the only change there was Apple made available some slightly faster CPUs that you could already put in the existing Mac Pro). It also seems likely that Apple painted themselves into a corner with the trashcan Mac Pro design since it doesn't really seem amenable to ongoing development.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

And as for the Mac Pro not getting updated, well, their last update also took many many years - before the 2013 trashcan Mac Pros, the last real update had been in 2010 (there was a 2012 "update", but the only change there was Apple made available some slightly faster CPUs that you could already put in the existing Mac Pro). It also seems likely that Apple painted themselves into a corner with the trashcan Mac Pro design since it doesn't really seem amenable to ongoing development.

And the 2010 Mac Pro was itself a 2009 with a firmware update.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

fishmech posted:

That's the joke, you see.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
The rumour I read that seems at least plausible was that MacBooks would get an ARM chip to handle certain functions when the laptop is asleep. Like get patches or check messages.
There's already a custom ARM CPU in the current MacBook Pro that controls the touchbar.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Riflen posted:

The rumour I read that seems at least plausible was that MacBooks would get an ARM chip to handle certain functions when the laptop is asleep. Like get patches or check messages.
There's already a custom ARM CPU in the current MacBook Pro that controls the touchbar.

Evoking memories of Windows Sideshow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Riflen posted:

What purpose does that serve?

Phones fulfill the notification role.

Are there people who walk around all day with a 13″ notebook and think “if only my notebook checked messages and beeped at me so I could be free of this burdensome phone”?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 13, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

If the arm mini-cpu is keeping software updated while the laptop is turned off, it would avoid a lot of the "updating please wait" that occasional users experience if they pull out the laptop to travel

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Platystemon posted:

What purpose does that serve?

Phones fulfill the notification role.

Are there people who walk around all day with a 13″ notebook and think “if only my notebook checked messages and beeped at me so I be free of this burdensome phone”?

Intel tried that once back in the Ivybridge "Throw whatever phone like feature we can at users to get them to keep buying laptops" days. Secondary e-ink screens for email, periodically waking laptop to fetch updates, why didn't this catch on?!?!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

If this were true, this'd go over so goddamn well (like not). While most people just browse the drat web, a fair share of them have very occasional bouts of power usage, and this is where ARM will gently caress them over and upset them. Both in performance and app availability.

Actually Apple's custom ARM designs are really good and I have little doubt that they could make good performing laptop or desktop ARM chips. It's probably mainly the software reasons that have prevented them from doing this.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MaxxBot posted:

Actually Apple's custom ARM designs are really good and I have little doubt that they could make good performing laptop or desktop ARM chips. It's probably mainly the software reasons that have prevented them from doing this.

This didn't prevent them last time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Intel tried that once back in the Ivybridge "Throw whatever phone like feature we can at users to get them to keep buying laptops" days. Secondary e-ink screens for email, periodically waking laptop to fetch updates, why didn't this catch on?!?!
My 3570K has a bunch of insane features for a desktop like turning on the computer to check email periodically, which I'm sure would only work with Outlook and probably doesn't even work with Outlook 365 anymore.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I thought that was simply a software thing and not something someone put in the CPU?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

MaxxBot posted:

It's more like they're in a holding pattern with the Mac, trying to wait and see how the PC world evolves in the mobile era before bothering to commit resources to doing something huge like switching to ARM. But, even if they did, they basically already have a ARM laptop in the iPad Pro. If they made some big interface changes, and stuck a permanent keyboard to it, it'd be a simpler solution than porting all of MacOS (with broken compatibility with all its old software) to ARM.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

aren't iOS and macOS pretty similar to begin with?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Apple can't actually do better than Intel at laptop level chips-- their process advantage is really excellent at that level and as we've seen with amd pretty much everyone can do similar architectural optimizations, with intel being the leader anyway.

Where intel suffered was phone level due to margins and arm being competitive if not better.

So you'll see a hybrid approach where Apple shifts less demanding tasks like email updates and notifications to the T1 soc to save power and give a more tablet like experience but will very likely keep the Intel soc ( remember that they can't just license thunderbolt 3 or even use Intel's Peak chips and they bet the farm on tb3) for its performance and efficiency and also not having to e.g. reimplement a USB 3.1 controller and display port and HDMI and pcie and x and y and z

They could do it, but Intel does it now and there's no compelling reason to switch. (Plus the arch shift is not costless if it loses major first party apps like office and Adobe for a while)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

iOS and macos are derived from the same core but that doesn't mean much

Apple shifting to its own chips would be purely a supply chain thing. They don't want to be screwed again with a disappointment MacBook because intel couldn't make kaby lake in time. The price would be multi sourcing from tsmc Samsung and maybe even intel if intel foundry lets them.

It would likely cost them more too

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

You don't just spin a soc at 10nm either it costs hundreds of millions and with multi sourcing double it

So Apple can amortize the cost over tens of millions of iPhones and ipads( less and less ipads, they are lagging here) but for the much smaller Mac market? It'd take a lot to make them switch

I dont doubt they have a team working on it but unless intel fucks up again it's unlikely. More likely they get amd to do a GPU CPU full soc deal ( Apple pushed for crystal well remember) and that works better.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ryzen MacBooks when?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kazinsal posted:

Ryzen MacBooks when?

Never.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

They already use AMD GPUs, so if they actually offered a decent CPU that was competitive in every way, I really don't see why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That's a big if.