Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Looking to build a couple broadwell-e based graphics workstations and I'm having trouble picking a mobo that has the performance features I would like without the "gamer" crap like disco balls and actual whistles. Would something like the Asus x99-e be a good fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Majere posted:

Looking to build a couple broadwell-e based graphics workstations and I'm having trouble picking a mobo that has the performance features I would like without the "gamer" crap like disco balls and actual whistles. Would something like the Asus x99-e be a good fit?

Unless you need six physical cores, in a lot of instances the 7700K (especially when overclocked) is outperforming the 6950K, and there are bling-less Z270 boards out there, as well as a few that are 'workstation' boards.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

fishmech posted:

There are already a bunch of other companies who offer that if that's what you want though. Where's the room for Intel to do that? And how's Intel doing it going to bring down costs across the board?

Instead of designing a NAND SSD that is both very very fast and dense (basically chasing everything on all fronts), you can focus more on the later. Fewer ASIC spins or redesigns for performance improvements, less need to squeeze out everything you can in FW, and none of the subsequent validation effort involved with said activities either. And less time to get it to market. Again, theoretical. And it's not a fix to the entire storage product line, just the ability to focus your efforts in other areas. Fast Optane handling the brunt of the workload backed by a bigger NAND solution. I'm not talking bring the NAND devices down to poo poo tier level performance, just that you don't have to go chasing down that last 10% of the performance gap that Samsung has over you in some data center workload when you have another solution that is way faster than both anyway

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Majere posted:

The Asus WS series boards are pretty much built for exactly that, yea: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99E_WS/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WhyteRyce posted:

Instead of designing a NAND SSD that is both very very fast and dense (basically chasing everything on all fronts), you can focus more on the later. Fewer ASIC spins or redesigns for performance improvements, less need to squeeze out everything you can in FW, and none of the subsequent validation effort involved with said activities either. And less time to get it to market. Again, theoretical. And it's not a fix to the entire storage product line, just the ability to focus your efforts in other areas. Fast Optane handling the brunt of the workload backed by a bigger NAND solution. I'm not talking bring the NAND devices down to poo poo tier level performance, just that you don't have to go chasing down that last 10% of the performance gap that Samsung has over you in some data center workload when you have another solution that is way faster than both anyway

But dude, they already don't target being very fast SSDs on their large drives in the first place, they just do fairly normal speed SSDs in that range and have for a while. What are they going to achieve by making SSDs slower than they do now? What market is this going to compete in that isn't already covered by the lower tier manufacturers? They've got to go into poo poo-tier performance to take a step down from where their high capacity offerings tend to be at the moment.

You're trying to solve a problem that Intel doesn't seem to have basically.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

fishmech posted:

But dude, they already don't target being very fast SSDs on their large drives in the first place, they just do fairly normal speed SSDs in that range and have for a while. What are they going to achieve by making SSDs slower than they do now? What market is this going to compete in that isn't already covered by the lower tier manufacturers? They've got to go into poo poo-tier performance to take a step down from where their high capacity offerings tend to be at the moment.

You're trying to solve a problem that Intel doesn't seem to have basically.

Who said anything about making them slower? I just mean you can theoretically relax the performance focus and tweaks you need to do in new products as opposed to chasing down multiple fronts.

And are you talking about data center products or workloads or the consumer line of stuff?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WhyteRyce posted:

Who said anything about making them slower? I just mean you can theoretically relax the performance focus and tweaks you need to do in new products as opposed to chasing down multiple fronts.

And are you talking about data center products or workloads or the consumer line of stuff?

...they already don't have a "performance focus". That's already not really what Intel SSDs go for, they aim to market themselves for long term reliability and large storage sizes, with adequate speeds. Samsung and others are the ones who really focus on very high performance.

This applies for all their SSD products, Intel hasn't really been on the forefront of SSD speed for a while, presumably because they've been in deep on developing Optane all this time.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
There's also the question if the gamer bling poo poo fundamentally matters. Unless you have a windowed case, you are only going to look at it when you have the case open, and presumably thats only going to be iff you are changing things out. If the price is right and it has all the right features you want, who the hell cares what it looks like in the dark enclosed box?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wait, who cares about hard drive appearance?

E- oh, I guess you mean mobos :haw:
I don't mind whatever dumb lighting they fit as long as it's all switch offable.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 27, 2017

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wait, who cares about hard drive appearance?

E- oh, I guess you mean mobos :haw:
I don't mind whatever dumb lighting they fit as long as it's all switch offable.

First thing I found and turned off in the BIOS on my ROG Z270.

EDIT: I wanted the dual m2 slots, but so much circuitry and BIOS complexity for all your GAMER BLING needs. Ugh why.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 27, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd prefer an old school BIOS interface over flashy uefi anyday at all. I know what you mean. 

The default led setting on my board looks exactly like an excess of status LEDs on a board that's power cycling. It's like a schizophrenic Christmas tree. 

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 28, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'd prefer an old school BIOS interface over flashy uefi anyday at all. I know what you mean.

The default led setting on my board looks exactly like an excess of status LEDs on a board that's power cycling. It's like a schizophrenic Christmas tree.

It doesn't help that hardware-centric companies are generally still awful at making software.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

The Asus WS series boards are pretty much built for exactly that, yea: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99E_WS/

Thanks, looks like that x99e-ws board is over $500 while the regular x99e is $200(newegg prices). Does "Workstation" tag add a premium even over "Gamer"?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
E3 v6 Xeons are here, and it's an even more underwhelming bump than the consumer desktop chips: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11232/intel-launches-xeon-e3-1200-v6-family

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Majere posted:

Thanks, looks like that x99e-ws board is over $500 while the regular x99e is $200(newegg prices). Does "Workstation" tag add a premium even over "Gamer"?

The WS board notably has seven 16x (mechanically) slots instead of three 16x and two 1x. There are also more USB 3.0 ports on the WS as well as eSATA.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The x99WS motherboard has a couple of PLX PCIe switches to give a lot more supported lanes, how many depends on if you get a 28 or 40 lane cpu. That's the main reason for the price bump.

We have one at work and it is a nice motherboard. One thing is ensure you do the usb bios upgrade if you are running a broadwell (6800k+), with the cpu not populated. It didn't seem to want to upgrade with the cpu in. This depends on if it needs it but the chance of getting old stock on an expensive board like this is probably high.

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 28, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

speaking of eSATA, has anyone had any luck using that on a X79 based board?

I cannot for the life of me get reliable usage with eSATA on my P9X79 Deluxe. I can get it to see some drives, but usually with any sort of load, the drives disconnect like it was unplugged, reset, spin up, and do it again and again. Making it completely useless. Tried with multiple external bays and they all exibit the same behavior.

Wish I splurged for the X79 Deluxe that Asus released once IB-E arrived since that seemed like a more polished Deluxe board than this one in about every way.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've never had issues with the eSATA on my GA-X79-UP4. Is the chip powering it also running any other drives, or just the eSATA?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I believe it's its own thing. ASMedia® ASM1061 controller : 2 x Power eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), green

The only thing is how it pulls PCI-E lanes but since I don't have anything plugged into the lower 1X ports, it has the lanes it needs or else it would not work at all.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Unless you need six physical cores, in a lot of instances the 7700K (especially when overclocked) is outperforming the 6950K, and there are bling-less Z270 boards out there, as well as a few that are 'workstation' boards.

Definitionally, the 7700K outperforms the 6950X in all situations in which you do not need 6 physical cores. That's a tautology. :confused:

The Broadwell-E series in particular is somewhat marginal since it overclocks so poorly, it actually more than ate up the IPC gains on at least the lower-end chips.

But no, graphics workstations are pretty much one of the defining use-cases for "more cores" so you're kinda wrong here.

And in general the HEDT chips keep up better than you would think even in gaming when OC'd - Haswell plus DDR4 at 4.5 GHz is still no slouch, Skylake didn't have much IPC gain and Kaby Lake didn't have any at all. HEDT chips are probably 15% slower in single-threaded performance (mostly from faster clocks) but more and more games are scaling past 4 threads nowadays, and running threads on real cores is still better performance than running them on hyperthreads.

(Also, the Intel HEDT chips are still at least 10% faster than Ryzen in most games, sometimes 20% or more)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

What the gently caress is the point of eSATA in 2017?If you have a DAS then just get a SAS card with ports out the back, if you have a regular external hard drive then just go USB3. Every time I see an eSATA port the question is "why didn't you put something useful like more USB ports or a mDP there?"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Does esata play nice with bitlockered drives? I have a stack of the things and can't get them running with my usb3 to sata dongle.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blowfish posted:

What the gently caress is the point of eSATA in 2017?If you have a DAS then just get a SAS card with ports out the back, if you have a regular external hard drive then just go USB3. Every time I see an eSATA port the question is "why didn't you put something useful like more USB ports or a mDP there?"

Uh, obviously the point is that there is still plenty of perfectly functional eSATA enclosures and drives around or even for sale? And it does not cost much to implement.

It would seem a bit silly to expect people to toss out all the old drives and enclosures and so on to switch to other attachment methods.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kaby Lake Xeons are announced http://www.anandtech.com/show/11232/intel-launches-xeon-e3-1200-v6-family

Real question: If you can buy a mobo that supports ECC RAM and don't need all the I/O is there really a reason to buy them? Maybe dual socket support on mobos? Relative to Ryzen maybe iGPU on some models?

I also haven't been shopping around for server parts before, so there's that.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I got 2 different 4 bay eSATA enclosure for cheap and around 30 500G SATA HDD's for free so trying to use them in a useful way. USB3.0 is great sure, but since these are older 500G HDD's their max transfer speed seems to top out around 30MB's. If I could get them to do a software Raid-0 over eSATA then I could get a good speed boost and for whatever reason I cant do that with USB3.0 unless the bays themselves do their own Raid thing which in my experience outside of Raid 1, is a total crapshoot.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Boiled Water posted:

Does esata play nice with bitlockered drives? I have a stack of the things and can't get them running with my usb3 to sata dongle.

I'd give it a shot, since it's just a SATA connection to your motherboard there should be nothing that could feasibly prevent drive recognition like with an adapter dongle.

Literally the only differences between eSATA and a normal SATA are a locking connector and power delivery (with eSATAp), it's just like opening your case and plugging it in.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Huh, so semiaccurate is calling out intel on deceit involving optane.http://semiaccurate.com/2017/03/27/intel-crosses-unacceptable-ethical-line/

Apparently it might not be as good as they claim? Who'd a thunk it!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

They might have been able to hit their claim if they didn't lay off most of the talent with ACT. New College Grads don't quite have the skills that someone who's been working on the tech for most of their career might have. Go figure.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Stop the radiator hate. A fanless pc is a dream of mine and idgaf about trying to cram everything into something the size of a pack of cigs
Hey WAR DOGS OF SOCHI I mentioned the prototype before but this is now live on Kickstarter for purchase

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1489140137/nsg-s0-worlds-first-fanless-chassis-for-high-perfo/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That looks cool, and better than most other fanless cases in the past, but... It doesn't include a fanless PSU (not a huge issue) but I can't see it being anywhere near OC friendly without much airflow over any other components on the PC. Other parts get really hot outside of the CPU/GPU cores.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

*shrug* when Linus tested the prototype he was impressed,

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/707325-calyos-nsg-passive-cooling-kit/

but then again that was the one-off prototype and also OCing and being fanless are incompatible goals in general.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

NewFatMike posted:

Kaby Lake Xeons are announced http://www.anandtech.com/show/11232/intel-launches-xeon-e3-1200-v6-family

Real question: If you can buy a mobo that supports ECC RAM and don't need all the I/O is there really a reason to buy them? Maybe dual socket support on mobos? Relative to Ryzen maybe iGPU on some models?

I also haven't been shopping around for server parts before, so there's that.

Those are E3 Xeons - quad core only, based on the same die as desktop and mobile quads and starting in a similar price bracket. They don't have dual socket support and have similar I/O options to desktop quads as a result. I think you'd get them mostly to use in professional workstations that require certified platforms for full support or server applications that are fine with quad-core performance but need ECC. They're not really trying to compete directly with 8-core R7s, I feel like. Isn't the ECC support in Ryzen kind of unofficial anyway?

vvv That's not quite true, check out the desktop dual-cores since Haswell. They gained ECC support after Ivy Bridge when dual-core Xeons were discontinued. But yes, the main raison d'etre for E3 Xeons is ECC. vvv

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 29, 2017

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Go find a current socketed non Xeon intel processor that supports ECC (you won't find any).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NihilismNow posted:

Go find a current socketed non Xeon intel processor that supports ECC (you won't find any).

https://ark.intel.com/products/97130/Intel-Core-i3-7101E-Processor-3M-Cache-3_90-GHz
https://ark.intel.com/products/97125/Intel-Core-i3-7101TE-Processor-3M-Cache-3_40-GHz

i3 ECC

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

I thought they had removed that from all socketed i3's starting with the 7 series, but appearently not on those 2. Seems like decent options.
E: Not available for consumers except through Chinese import. Can't find a single european/american shop that has these, seems to be OEM only right now.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 29, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
They're the embedded versions. For some reason Intel removed ECC from all the non-embedded desktop i3s in Kaby Lake, but left it in for Pentiums and Celerons which creates the curious scenario where there's nothing in the lineup with ECC between a G4620 and an E3-1220 v6.

Haswell, Broadwell, and Skylake desktop i3s all have it if I recall correctly though.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'm thinking that the low-end CPUs with ECC support may have come from HP and their on-going small server projects as well as hardware appliance folks like some NAS makers. Haswell i3 CPUs had ECC and HP's microservers went from Celerons up into the Xeon E3 series for a while. I dunno how many units they moved but there's probably others in a similar niche that would like continuing ECC support.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Eletriarnation posted:

They're the embedded versions. For some reason Intel removed ECC from all the non-embedded desktop i3s in Kaby Lake, but left it in for Pentiums and Celerons which creates the curious scenario where there's nothing in the lineup with ECC between a G4620 and an E3-1220 v6.

Haswell, Broadwell, and Skylake desktop i3s all have it if I recall correctly though.

Not sure what you mean by embedded but those are socket 1151.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Eletriarnation posted:

Those are E3 Xeons - quad core only, based on the same die as desktop and mobile quads and starting in a similar price bracket. They don't have dual socket support and have similar I/O options to desktop quads as a result. I think you'd get them mostly to use in professional workstations that require certified platforms for full support or server applications that are fine with quad-core performance but need ECC. They're not really trying to compete directly with 8-core R7s, I feel like. Isn't the ECC support in Ryzen kind of unofficial anyway?

vvv That's not quite true, check out the desktop dual-cores since Haswell. They gained ECC support after Ivy Bridge when dual-core Xeons were discontinued. But yes, the main raison d'etre for E3 Xeons is ECC. vvv

I see! That and the follow ups were very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Huh, so semiaccurate is calling out intel on deceit involving optane.http://semiaccurate.com/2017/03/27/intel-crosses-unacceptable-ethical-line/

Apparently it might not be as good as they claim? Who'd a thunk it!

I would take that with more than a few grains of salt. Semiaccurate is, well, look at the name. The guy who created and runs the site holds tons of grudges against particular companies because their PR departments pissed him off this one time. Not where you go to read accurate, levelheaded, technically competent analysis.