Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The worst part about this is the timing: Chinese New Year is going to shut down Intel's, the OEM's, and the board partner's plants for at least the next week, so reaction time is going to be terrible on correcting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

I really hope the recall isn't handled poorly. It would be a huge pain to go through a normal RMA process in March. I think I would almost rather deal with four dead SATA 3 Gbs ports than tear my computer apart and wait 10 days for a replacement.

Yep, almost making me regret not just buying an i7 iMac, even if it would've been more money and less powerful. I'm not looking forward to :spergin: the inside of my case again.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

Dropping one frame every 3597 (2.5m*23.98f/sec)is not anywhere near 17%. Did you mean you drop a second every 2.5minutes? That isn't 17% either.

It's every ~42 seconds.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

madprocess posted:

Film wasn't 23.976 originally, that's a slowdown equal to the one NTSC color broadcasting does that was instituted in some cases to make 3:2 pulldown actually 3:2.

Good point, my history on the origins of the Hollywood/"movie" framerate was a bit rusty.

As for recall, I have this sinking feeling that some makers might do two tiers of service. Free = send your board back, get one back in 10-12 business days. Express = pay $$$ for advance RMA, suffer little to no downtime.

Wish they'd just all decide to follow standard advanced RMA procedure and toss a hold on your credit card until they get the defective board back. Thankfully, I think Asus has a USA RMA center (Idaho, or is that Crucial I'm thinking of...), so shipping shouldn't be painful.

I'm interested to know what they will do with the boards. Like I said earlier, it's a waste of MAC addresses (not a huge deal, but waste annoys me), but more importantly, there are still plenty of use cases for boards that have 4 dead SATA 3Gbps boards. End-users could use them (I mean, on the P8P67 Pro, you have 4 SATA ports available even if the 4 3Gbps ports die), a university could build a cheap rear end net-booting cluster out of them, etc. I'm sure they'll either be destroyed or "escape" the factory/return center in Asia realistically, though. :(

I'd pay $50-$75 for a board with the dead SATA 3Gbps ports. Granted, there's a chance other devices in the chipset could fail as well, but Intel seems confident that it's limited to SATA only.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

strategery posted:

Well crap. I JUST built a psp67 i5 2500k setup this past week. I used newegg. Now Ill need to call I assume to figure out what to do. My stuff should still be under the Newegg Warranty, but since there is no resolution, Im not sure what they will do.

I just built it this weekend, and 2 days later, bam, this. :negative:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So given that 6Gbps ports are backwards compatible would it still be worth picking up an SB rig now and how likely is it to find some discount mobos before march?
Assuming a gaming rig with 1TB spinpoint F3, SSD and an optical drive, not some insane home file server packed with 2TB drives.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Veinless posted:

"The systems with the affected support chips have only been shipping since January 9th and the company believes that relatively few consumers are impacted by this issue." per http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/01/31/intel-identifies-chipset-design-error-implementing-solution

According to Anandtech, every 6-series board shipped uses the affected B stepping. With the January 9th statement, Intel's trying to keep people from freaking out about the Dell they bought for Christmas.

Verizian posted:

So given that 6Gbps ports are backwards compatible would it still be worth picking up an SB rig now and how likely is it to find some discount mobos before march?
Assuming a gaming rig with 1TB spinpoint F3, SSD and an optical drive, not some insane home file server packed with 2TB drives.

I doubt you'll be able to find many LGA1155 boards until the revised chipsets are launched. It'll be a whole lot cleaner for motherboard manufacturers to recall everything now, and stick Intel with one big bill now. If they let bad boards float around in retail channels, quite a few will come back into their RMA departments, and it costs money to handle RMAs. They'll look to rip the band-aid off now.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Well I've got a asus p8p67 deluxe with 10 hds (2 of them in a controller card) and some drives make weird clicks (really noisy) when I boot the computer. Also a HD diagnostic program lists them as having a long spin up time (and the bios smart thinggie says something is wrong). The disks themselves are alright, I don't know what the problem might be :|

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
A leaky transistor isn't going to make your drives spin slowly or make them click. Sounds like your power supply is either too weak or you have bad drives.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Great. My intel iMac's HD dies for the second damned time so I decide to go back to PCs where I can fix em myself cheaply if a part goes. I do some research about what to buy and go with a P67 2500K 3.3ghz system.

What happens a week after ordering? THIS. Meaning I might not get my system till at least mid April.

Meaning 2 and a half months using this now ancient 1.8ghz G5 iMac and no hot system to get back into the PC Gaming thing.

Dammit. On the upside at least Intel is working hard to deal with the problem quickly.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

LastCaress posted:

Well I've got a asus p8p67 deluxe with 10 hds (2 of them in a controller card) and some drives make weird clicks (really noisy) when I boot the computer. Also a HD diagnostic program lists them as having a long spin up time (and the bios smart thinggie says something is wrong). The disks themselves are alright, I don't know what the problem might be :|
What kind of power supply do you have? It may be balking at the inrush current of all of those 12V motors spinning up simultaneously. Try enabling Staggered Spinup. Also, you can use Crystal Disk Info to check HDD health status, though it may not see through RAID controllers.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Yeah I thought about something to do with power, not really the SB problem. The weird thing is I had an old LC 550w lovely PSU that never had a problem with all the drives and a HD 2900XT+quadcore. In my new setup I have a Corsair TX 650w and a i5 2500k+hd5770 (which are supposed to be less power hungry, right?). Well maybe 10 hds really is too much.... I thought the hds were fine because when they do work there's nothing wrong with them, fast access, no corruption, etc... I will see if there's an option for staggered spinup somewhere. While Corsair TX650w probably isn't the best psu out there, it's not that bad, is it?

EDIT : Is there any difference if I use different power cables that come from the psu? I have 3 "main" cables (don't really know how to describe this), two for sata devices and one for IDE, can I put an adapter on the IDE cable and connect the sata drives, or does that make no difference.

EDIT2 : My old pc "only" had 8 hds but had 2 dvd writers.

LastCaress fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 1, 2011

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I kinda wonder how many people will actually be affected by this?

No one with one DVD player and one HD (aka 95% of users?) will ever know the problem exists will they?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If I'm reading the Anandtech article correctly its not the number of SATA devices its the ports that matter. You can only use 2 devices and still get effected unfortunately.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If I'm reading the Anandtech article correctly its not the number of SATA devices its the ports that matter. You can only use 2 devices and still get effected unfortunately.

Right, but what I'm saying is if you were only using two, you'd be using both of the 6 GB/s ports (which if I'm not mistaken are unaffected - it's only the 3 GB/s ports that are).

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Kashwashwa posted:

Right, but what I'm saying is if you were only using two, you'd be using both of the 6 GB/s ports (which if I'm not mistaken are unaffected - it's only the 3 GB/s ports that are).

I thought the problem was a processor issue, not a motherboard issue, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

strategery posted:

I thought the problem was a processor issue, not a motherboard issue, right?
Nope.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Yeah, from what I gather, if you ONLY use the 6.0gps ports (there should be four of them at least) then you will never have to deal with any problems. So really, there should be no problem at all waiting for April, when you should just replace the MB out of principle.

If I am incorrect please correct me.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 1, 2011

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
I have P8P67PRO which has 2x Intel 6gbit and 2x Marvell 6gbit but i use 6 SATA2 drives. I can use the 2x ESATA in the back to plug in the rest of drives if i buy ESATA to SATA cables right?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just checked. My data disks are both on the Marvell controller. The most IO happens on there, so they're out of harm's way. But I can't identify what the system disks are hooked up to, the device manager makes it impossible to discern, since both 3 and 6 Gbps ports are on the same controller.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nope.

So I need to contact newegg about replacing my motherboard AND CPU, yes? (As I have a p8p67 pro and i2500k).

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
What's annoying is I just had to buy a new mobo because my Gigabyte was a dud (and to be honest the difference in quality between it and my new Asus is a huge), so I'll have to put everything together for a third time next month or so when they actually start the RMA process. At least this time I won't have to do a clean install, but it really sucks this happened.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just checked. My data disks are both on the Marvell controller. The most IO happens on there, so they're out of harm's way. But I can't identify what the system disks are hooked up to, the device manager makes it impossible to discern, since both 3 and 6 Gbps ports are on the same controller.

On the disk properties, Details -> Location Information. 0 and 1 are 6 Gbps ports, 2-5 are the affected ports.

Or you could, y'know, look.

strategery posted:

So I need to contact newegg about replacing my motherboard AND CPU, yes? (As I have a p8p67 pro and i2500k).

The problem is about the motherboard's SATA controller. The CPU is not affected at all. Therefore, you only have to contact Newegg about replacing the motherboard. You do not need to replace the CPU.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

strategery posted:

The cpu's fine, you can put the cpu you have in a new motherboard (when they come out)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Or you could, y'know, look.
I never shut down my computer. Except when the power goes down... :colbert:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Did you pick a case where the power switch was hardwired to the screws? :confused:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, but it's tucked away neatly, and I don't want to move it around too much while the drives are spinning. I'm pretty paranoid about that.

But yeah, according to the location info, all drives are on 6 Gbps ports. I'll still need a new board at some point, for the next set of disks.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you have the Intel RST installed, it should tell you what port each disk is connected to.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, from what I gather, if you ONLY use the 6.0gps ports (there should be four of them at least) then you will never have to deal with any problems. So really, there should be no problem at all waiting for April, when you should just replace the MB out of principle.

If I am incorrect please correct me.
Sucks for us with 3 SSDs or similar in RAID though ...

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Man, I was expecting to upgrade to a 2500k system in the next week or two.

Is it possible to bypass the problem entirely if I bought a current MB and just use the good two SATA ports, and buy a separate SATA card for the other drives? If that works I might just continue with my plans and get the system anyway.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yes, or you could just use the ports which won't start deteriorating for a while and do a mainboard swap when that's made available?

MisterPhoton
Sep 5, 2007
If you can find a retailer still selling one of the current boards, sure, you could do that. Good luck, though - I was hoping to do the same thing but can't find anyone still stocking them.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
NCIXUS.Com has them still.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Looks like Amazon is still stocking them too.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
So now that Sandy Bridge is getting a recall is there any danger overclocking past the 1.35 volts that intel claims the motherboard is rated safe at? Isn't the only real danger of lessening the lifespan of the board, or is it possible to damage the processor as well? I'm running stable 4.5 at 1.3 volts and my temps are around 60 degrees at load, so I still have some leeway temperature wise.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It affects the processor primarily, so nooooope, no guilt-free 1.6V overclocks for us.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
Too bad that could have made the whole RMA process a little more fun :)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
So can this damage the hard disk itself?
Should I open my computer up right now and switch it to an unaffected 6 Gps port, or can I just wait a while, until either there's a recall or I start seeing weird stuff?

Snoring
Oct 21, 2008

zachol posted:

Should I open my computer up right now and switch it to an unaffected 6 Gps port, or can I just wait a while, until either there's a recall or I start seeing weird stuff?
It won't hurt your hard disks or whatever else is connected to those particular ports. The connection may go bad after awhile but you shouldn't fear any data loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

zachol posted:

Switch ports when you turn on your computer one day and find a drive or two missing. You will likely get a fixed board before that happens.