Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Coffee Lake may be Z270/1151 compatible after all... :salt:

eames fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This seems bad?

https://twitter.com/newsycbot/status/878988555456045057

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

:laffo:

Jesus Intel, it's a mature platform. How do they gently caress these things up?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair, there is already a microcode update that fixes it. Definitely a good reason to keep abreast of UEFI updates for your board though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

Coffee Lake may be Z270/1151 compatible after all... :salt:

Nobody thinks Coffee Lake isn't going to be on the LGA1151 socket. They just think it'll need a new, potentially incompatible chipset, hence the bump to the "LGA1151 v2" designation.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I find it hilarious that they clock the 7800X lower than the 7820X, despite expecting more headroom due to more unused silicone for heatspreading, probably to justify the Coffee Lake, which sits in between based on clocks based on the stats above. Like what the gently caress.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some more Coffee Lake geekbench scores leaked by MSI, with an underclocked 3.2ghz example being essentially identical to a Ryzen 5 1600X. Earlier leaks were of a 3.5ghz base 4.2ghz boost example that may be a higher SKU or actual launch speeds.

If you can stomach wccftech: http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-6-core-i7-cpu-performance-benchmark-leak/

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

To be fair, there is already a microcode update that fixes it. Definitely a good reason to keep abreast of UEFI updates for your board though.

it seems to just hit the kill bit for that particular optimization, but I think that's pretty typical for microcode fixes

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's unclear whether turbo boost was enabled or not, though. Not sure why Geekbench doesn't observe CPU clock during the bench and stores it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
A 4619 ST score assuming it turbos +400MHz to 3.6GHz is basically 5% more IPC over SKL/KBL, but you know Intel is just going to gently caress up something in the end product nonetheless.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Older server question:

Anyone know how the CPU compatibility for LGA1366 works? Is it L-series, E-series, X-series separate or can I upgrade a E5620 to an X5640? Older hexacores are so cheap right now.

Going in one of these old servers.

At $110 for the CPU and $90 per 16GB of ECC Ram (*3, triple channel) it seems like a cheap way to dump some more horses in the box. Unless those used-server boards for $600 are A) still around and B) are the same form factor... they had 128GB of ram on them, I think. Anyone remember where those were?

It was natex.us and they're EATX so they won't work in a proprietary supermicro rack. Too bad.

Might be worth buying just for the 16 8GB DDR3-1333 Registered ECC sticks though.

Harik fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 27, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Z370 in Q4/2017, Z390 in 2018.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel-z370-chipset

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Looks like my 2500K/Z68 gets to soldier on into 2018. Here's hoping they don't instantly EOL the Z370.

"Q4" is troubling - though it's at least nice that they're giving more information on when to expect Z370 and Coffee Lake.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you told me back then I'd be using my 2600k this long, I'd call you a liar...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PerrineClostermann posted:

If you told me back then I'd be using my 2600k this long, I'd call you a liar...

When my coworker asked me whether building a brand new desktop for basic Internet use is a good idea now, I just LOLed and promptly directed him to a $150 Lenovo i5 Ivy Bridge + 4GB DDR3 + 500GB HDD refurb.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palladium posted:

When my coworker asked me whether building a brand new desktop for basic Internet use is a good idea now, I just LOLed and promptly directed him to a $150 Lenovo i5 Ivy Bridge + 4GB DDR3 + 500GB HDD refurb.

my mom did this, and she loves the little thing

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Palladium posted:

You can get refurbed Ivy-based i5-3470s systems with 4gb RAM and an 80gb SSD off of Ebay for $120. I even found some i5-3570s systems specced and priced the same way a month ago. Amazing bang for the buck.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bobfather posted:

You can get refurbed Ivy-based i5-3470s systems with 4gb RAM and an 80gb SSD off of Ebay for $120. I even found some i5-3570s systems specced and priced the same way a month ago. Amazing bang for the buck.

Well, that's about the best deal I'm able to come across in Singapore. Would love a full-size version to put in standard PCIE cards instead of SFF, but the refurb still beats the living poo poo out of DIY where $150 here barely gets a G4650 and a cheapest H110 mobo into the door.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Palladium posted:

Well, that's about the best deal I'm able to come across in Singapore. Would love a full-size version to put in standard PCIE cards instead of SFF, but the refurb still beats the living poo poo out of DIY where $150 here barely gets a G4650 and a cheapest H110 mobo into the door.

For full size look for Dell Optiplex and Lenovo m systems of that vintage. They're priced a bit higher, but still around like $150 shipped.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Same, plus if you told me we were all excitedly waiting for an AMD CPU release and dreading how Intel was going to gently caress up their response...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So 2 new performance chipsets that don't offer anything new, and both of them are dead when Cannonlake comes out? Oh intel.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

2500K still going strong. Used to upgrade every 3 years or so, but now, eh.

Actually just want to upgrade at this point to get M2 slots.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cygni posted:

So 2 new performance chipsets that don't offer anything new, and both of them are dead when Cannonlake comes out? Oh intel.

Icelake will use a 400-series chipset, so not even Cannonlake is potentially safe.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CitizenKain posted:

That's pretty much what I did. The sandy chip itself was totally fine for me, it was just boredom and wanting a new chipset.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CitizenKain posted:

If you wanna use an NVMe/PCIe M2 (and you should!), there are dirt cheap adapters.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124167

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cygni posted:

If you wanna use an NVMe/PCIe M2 (and you should!), there are dirt cheap adapters.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124167

It just isn't as good as booting from them, and PCIe 2.0 speeds limit them to under 1000MB/sec.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It just isn't as good as booting from them, and PCIe 2.0 speeds limit them to under 1000MB/sec.

Thats true, I didn't think of the boot issues. You could probably get it to work but I imagine it would be a hassle.

eames
May 9, 2009

eames posted:

Looking at the various benchmarks I believe that the reason why Intel is clocking SL-X so high is the smaller L3 cache. It seems to impact gaming performance negatively, so much so that Broadwell-E could be faster than SL-X in gaming and at comparable frequencies.

Shameless selfquote but golem.de reports that SL-X has 4.6% lower IPC than BW-E. (i7-6950X vs i9-7900X both at 3.3 GHz)

https://www.golem.de/news/core-i9-7900x-im-test-intels-10-kern-brechstange-1706-128520-4.html

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CitizenKain posted:

Being able to boot from NVMe SSDs is a really cool + good leap in the features department. As noted, there are adapters that let you plug em in to PCIe slots, but only post Z87 chipsets support booting from them. And if you're not booting from one, then you're sorta losing out on a lot of the reason for having it to begin with.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eames posted:

Shameless selfquote but golem.de reports that SL-X has 4.6% lower IPC than BW-E. (i7-6950X vs i9-7900X both at 3.3 GHz)

https://www.golem.de/news/core-i9-7900x-im-test-intels-10-kern-brechstange-1706-128520-4.html

6-core small Kaby Lake "Coffee Lake" confirmed as best gaming chip for the next 2-99 years.

eames
May 9, 2009

X299 pulls so much juice that VRM cooling is now a OC bottleneck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7BqAjC4ZCc

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
AMD: "Boy my VRM's ran really hot on my 290x GPU's"
INTEL: "Thats nothing, Hold my beer"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So much for cheap X299 boards :staredog:

I guess they do make mobo-chipset waterblocks but normally that's just like a turbonerd showoff thing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 29, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Most of the "heatsinks" on VRMs are just held down with pushpins. No TIMs, nothin. Some of em don't even really touch anything to cool, which is always funny. Really just for looks to sell to ultra nerds.

Sounds like that stuff aint gonna work with a CPU that can draw 300 fuckin watts. What a mess intel put themselves in, just to try to out-due a niche CPU that not many people were ever gonna buy in the first place.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Scarecow posted:

AMD: "Boy my VRM's ran really hot on my 290x GPU's"
INTEL: "Thats nothing, Hold my beer"

"I dunno, maybe I should call them heat insulators."

LMAO

edit: wtf his goddamned CABLE measured 65 degrees celsius LOLOLOL

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

eames posted:

X299 pulls so much juice that VRM cooling is now a OC bottleneck

"That's probably 80-90 degrees cable which is probably pretty close to it catching on fire" :eyepop:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DrDork posted:

"That's probably 80-90 degrees cable which is probably pretty close to it catching on fire" :eyepop:

"I'm not really sure what to say" is a half-sentence. The other half is "...without jeopardizing my ability to get free testing gear and swag from Intel and mainboard makers."

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Well now at least there's a good reason for some sexy monoblocks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, except the price of admission for just the base config with a 7800X, base model motherboard, and 4x8 DDR4-3000 kit is just around/shy of a grand, and $1200-1300 with the 7820X. Intel has gone insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
What a lovely, worthless release.