Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sergeant Steiner posted:

My buddy literally just informed me he preordered his off newegg.ca, but I imagine that’s an international order as well. I’m curious myself, I won’t be able to build my new PC for 2 weeks anyway due to being away at work, but I’d like to put an order in because these are going to be hard to come by for awhile.

Ah I don't think I could preorder in newegg unless I am mistake but it does say you can preorder but it only let me get an alert when they have stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I ordered a 8700k from Newegg.ca back when they were just launched and they said it shipped from the United States but it showed up with no customs or duty required so I think they handle that on their side

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Extremely interesting data published by Silicon Lottery.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That makes a 5960x look better than a 6900k, I thought they did about the same speed, but their data suggests that a 5960x does about 100MHz more. Also a 5960x is cheaper than a 6900k on the used market by a few hundred dollars, 6900ks seem to go for about 550 while 5960xs seem to go for about 350.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The 6900k at >$500 makes no sense when the 9900k is $500-$550, and I'd expect to see that correct itself in a few weeks as 9900's get more available.

I can understand people with a X99 board not wanting the extra expense of a new motherboard, but dumping $500+ into a discontinued chipset isn't a great value proposition. Might as well get the 5960x (or even a 5820k) for much cheaper and wait a few months for overall prices to come down a bit and then make the jump.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I barely have apps that can use 6 cores, let alone 8. When apps that can use 8 start appearing regularly I assume the 5960x will be even cheaper. I'm satisfied with my 5820K because it lets stuff use 4 cores and not slow down background stuff at all.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
So I got an email from the site I ordered from.

quote:

"we have had an update on the 9900k ETA from Intel, there is going to be a delay of at least 3-4 weeks before we start seeing the Retail Editions of the 9900K coming into stock, with this in mind we are letting you know before hand that we will have the OEM 9900K's in stock for release, these are of course the same CPU, however, they only have a 1 year warranty and do not have retail packaging."

So OEM's are now in stock but retail chips in the decahedron packaging are about a month away. Some production or supply woes?

I couldn't be bothered waiting for 3-4 weeks so swapped to an OEM.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Eararaldor posted:

So OEM's are now in stock but retail chips in the decahedron packaging are about a month away. Some production or supply woes?

I ordered on Amazon - no word one way or the other yet from there.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Eararaldor posted:

What site and what country you are in would be helpful, thanks.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

B-Mac posted:

What site and what country you are in would be helpful, thanks.

The UK using Overclockers.co.uk. They are usually pretty reliable in my experience.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Eararaldor posted:

The UK using Overclockers.co.uk. They are usually pretty reliable in my experience.

Gotcha. I’ve heard rumbling of Europe being delayed nothing in the USA/Canada so far.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Xpoint is dead? Don't folks generally think Optane is nifty?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

JawnV6 posted:

Not dead at all, if you read some of the more in-depth articles about it. Optane is based on Gen 1 XPoint, and they're still working on Gen 2 which should trickle out some time next year. Gen 3--probably 2020-2021 time frame, is where Intel and Micron are going separate ways. I can only imagine that the rationale for the split is to allow Intel to pursue things on a different time-table or with different priorities than Micron, because it's just got too many advantages compared to other memory formats to let die. If nothing else, maybe it's to allow Intel to try to buy up more of the supply, since apparently the current agreement stipulates that each company gets a 50/50 split of the available memory, which might not be enough to satisfy Intel (especially since Micron doesn't seem to have any actually available products, so who knows what they've been up to with it).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, the prospect of cheap(er) Optane or consumer Z-NAND is why I'm only getting a ~500GB NVMe for a boot drive and remaining with SATA III everywhere else.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You should feel embarrassed! When you get your terabyte of octane you can mirror it to your old, slow flash via pci express adaptor card!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
HBM is DRAM

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

Optane right now for consumers is very niche but very nifty but all people care about is non Star Citizen load times :mad:

And this sounds like a Micron initiated thing not Intel

quote:

As it turns out, Micron is set to exercise its right to call Intel's interest in IM Flash and buyout its stake for about $1.5 billion starting from January 1, 2019, the company said on Thursday.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 19, 2018

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Optane RAM discs coming back from hibernate is giving me chills.

I wonder if that'll dramatically improve day to day battery life for laptops.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, GN's gonna be on MSI's poo poo list for a while - Buildzoid just (in his way) eviscerated the MEG Godlike board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4s1gQVPGlY

It's honestly down to the EVGA Z390 DARK and ASUS Z390 WS Pro for me at this point.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 19, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

Riflen posted:

https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Extremely interesting data published by Silicon Lottery.

I‘d love to see their RMA rates too because I don’t believe their advertised voltages (Coffee Lake: static 1.44V without Vdroop) are safe for 24/7 use over the span of a few years. Then again they only provide one year of warranty..

eames
May 9, 2009

eames posted:

It‘s only a matter of time until „enthusiasts“ start to complain that the soldered 9-Series CPUs are too hard to delid.

Well here we go, 10 Celsius temperature difference between solder and liquid metal at 4.8 GHz 1.25V, though the delidding seems not much harder than with regular TIM

e: Ha nevermind, apparently the die is twice as thick and „die lapping“ is a thing now if you want optimal cooling.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=r5Doo-zgyQs

eames fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 19, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Haha holy poo poo that i9 9900k power draw and temperature. Even that 5 GHz turbo running on all cores is a challenge that requires massive cooling and/or funny voltages.

Good luck, guys with Z370 mainboards :laugh:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

z390 is compatible with i7 8700k right?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Yea the temps on the 9900k are crazy, cancelled my 9900k preorder. Not sure if I’ll try to find a 8700k so I can use this z370 board or wait for Ryzen 2 next year. Annoyed that I didn’t grab a 8700k at launch now, could have been using it for a year. Pretty disappointed with the soldered thermals, is what it is though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

9900k, the true Prescott successor

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

is the 9900k temp bad on base or overclock?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ulio posted:

is the 9900k temp bad on base or overclock?

Yes

eames
May 9, 2009

Quite odd that they didn’t just scale up the 8700K and messed with substrate thickness, made the die thicker and the heatspreader thinner.

Der8auers preliminary 9900K OC stats from sampling hundreds of CPUs at Asus: 5.2 GHz golden sample (<1%), 5.1 „a few“ (25%?), 5.0 GHz just under half (40%). Heat is the main issue.

eames fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 19, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, GN's gonna be on MSI's poo poo list for a while - Buildzoid just (in his way) eviscerated the MEG Godlike board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4s1gQVPGlY

It's honestly down to the EVGA Z390 DARK and ASUS Z390 WS Pro for me at this point.

Without watching the vid can you tl:dr why for me? :haw:

Curious what PCIe switch they have on there. Apart from PLX there are the Microsemi or ASmedia switches now too..

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

priznat posted:

Price is more bigly than components are good.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

orcane posted:

Haha holy poo poo that i9 9900k power draw and temperature. Even that 5 GHz turbo running on all cores is a challenge that requires massive cooling and/or funny voltages.

Good luck, guys with Z370 mainboards :laugh:

Christ. Yeah I'm not switching boards twice a year. gently caress this poo poo.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

priznat posted:

Curious what PCIe switch they have on there. Apart from PLX there are the Microsemi or ASmedia switches now too..

Literally not one PCIe multiplexer or switch, outside of basic toggles. Prepare for the endless onslaught of "x slot shares bandwidth with y, filling this slot will disable the other device". The VRM is super overkill as far as maximum current goes, but it lacks a basic feature required for LN2 overclocking so it's literally for loving nothing. It also lacks a 2.5/5/10GbE controller and doesn't even use an intel chip.

It's a recommended watch, it is a disappointment in basically every single area.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BurritoJustice posted:

Literally not one PCIe multiplexer or switch, outside of basic toggles. Prepare for the endless onslaught of "x slot shares bandwidth with y, filling this slot will disable the other device". The VRM is super overkill as far as maximum current goes, but it lacks a basic feature required for LN2 overclocking so it's literally for loving nothing. It also lacks a 2.5/5/10GbE controller and doesn't even use an intel chip.

It's a recommended watch, it is a disappointment in basically every single area.

Whaaaat, that is ridiculous to put 4 x16 slots on a board without one. It looked like one is connected to the PCH from the manual too, gross.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
So glad I just cancelled everything and am moving full bore back onto my E3-1230 Sandy Bridge Xeon. If I need any serious CPU I’ll just use GCP and Azure credits for Skylake CPUs supporting AVX512. I didn’t realize how much of a potentially literal dumpster fire the 9 series would be.

Where’s the video caption edit of that crazy laughing guy making fun of the 9900k now?

eames
May 9, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Christ. Yeah I'm not switching boards twice a year. gently caress this poo poo.

To be fair all these extremely high temperatures are in stress tests, if all you do is play games you can likely run a 9900K at 5GHz on Air and set a 150W power limit without any negative effect on framerates/frametimes. The throttling would only occur in benchmarks or rendering/encoding.

My experience with CFL is that they run better below 80C, once you push past that the high die temperature and leakage causes higher power consumption far beyond linear scaling.
The german tomshw.de review confirms this, they get 229W with an AIO and 205W with a chiller at 20C water temp under identical frequency, voltage, workload and conditions. Aircooling would probably push 240W @ Tjmax. Kind of a vicious circle.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

bbbbbbut, its soldered!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
one hundred loving degrees lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

eames posted:

To be fair all these extremely high temperatures are in stress tests, if all you do is play games you can likely run a 9900K at 5GHz on Air and set a 150W power limit without any negative effect on framerates/frametimes. The throttling would only occur in benchmarks or rendering/encoding.

My experience with CFL is that they run better below 80C, once you push past that the high die temperature and leakage causes higher power consumption far beyond linear scaling.
The german tomshw.de review confirms this, they get 229W with an AIO and 205W with a chiller at 20C water temp under identical frequency, voltage, workload and conditions. Aircooling would probably push 240W @ Tjmax. Kind of a vicious circle.

The 8700K oc'd to 5ghz is really not any better. Massive heat production. According to monitoring programs it can hit as high as 220w with avx loads. Needless to say no air coolers can deal with that.