Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
data from MSI's OC workshop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

yeah but that's worse in every respect than the relevant 14nm chip and seems to have been shoved out for no other purpose than to claim that it's in production
How is it worse? I can't track it down now but I did see some comparisons a while ago and IIRC the new chip was like 10% more power efficient for the same performance or vice versa. Other than the lack of integrated GPU, it didn't seem worse in any way, just somewhat disappointing.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Oh wow, is Charlie predicting doom and gloom for Intel? Wow how totally unprecedented, better take this solid info and base my entire worldview around it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Can anyone explain why Intel would just throw the entire process out? I have been part of enough computer screwups to believe that they might have to roll back six months worth of hacks and try something new to get yields up, or whatever, but to get to a point where they would need a clean sheet of paper seems really odd.

My understanding is that they haven't been able to get the integrated graphics to work, like, at all. I don't know if it has additional problems, but I'm guessing so, because all they've put out is a low-speed laptop CPU without integrated graphics, which sounds pretty much worthless to me. At some point, if they internally believe that it'll take them as long to get 10nm working as it would 7nm, of they'd be better off ditching 10nm and moving to 7nm.

The market was also in a pretty different place when they made their plans for 10nm.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
The 8114Y has popped up a few times on benchmarking databases with a working gpu. Also their 10 nm is the equivalent of TSMC 7 nm. Their 7 nm would be all in on EUV, which makes it slated for like 2021+.

Winks fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 23, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
MSI engineer discusses 9900K

115C Tj_max :tif:

ActionExpress
Dec 28, 2002
12. godlike is powerful.

very powerful indeed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

How has this not been talked about?!!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's awesome! Maybe that's the next thing in hardware, surviving higher temperatures. This would allow you to cool more easily, as the higher the temperature differential the more efficient the heat transfer. (This is correct physics, right?)

Note: did not read tfa

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It is good they released the 9900K not long before winter! Hope it’s a cold one this year!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LRADIKAL posted:

That's awesome! Maybe that's the next thing in hardware, surviving higher temperatures. This would allow you to cool more easily, as the higher the temperature differential the more efficient the heat transfer. (This is correct physics, right?)

Note: did not read tfa

High temps means you start getting inconsistent behavior, i.e. errors. We aren't going to see radical changes in this area until we have a materials breakthrough.

Right now it's much easier to improve on the architecture efficiency than trying to squeeze a little more headroom out of the materials, not that they aren't trying. Plus whatever improvements they come up with still need to be commercially viable.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

priznat posted:

It is good they released the 9900K not long before winter! Hope it’s a cold one this year!

A 9900k + 2080 Ti would make a fantastic heater. Stand in a fire in a game and feel like how it actually is to be in the fire. I also totally plan to have this combo once 9900k's are readily available.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Beautiful Ninja posted:

A 9900k + 2080 Ti would make a fantastic heater. Stand in a fire in a game and feel like how it actually is to be in the fire. I also totally plan to have this combo once 9900k's are readily available.

You don't need a $1500 computer to light yourself on fire

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mewse posted:

You don't need a $1500 computer to light yourself on fire

Add about $1250 onto that and you'll be close.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
So since I don't want to move up into a new board and cpu. I was thinking of getting this for my 8700k. Should I do it? Or is this just a waste of time and energy?

https://www.rockitcool.com/products/copper-upgrade-kit-for-1151

Its currently on an AIO right now with the stock IHS.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So since I don't want to move up into a new board and cpu. I was thinking of getting this for my 8700k. Should I do it? Or is this just a waste of time and energy?

https://www.rockitcool.com/products/copper-upgrade-kit-for-1151

Its currently on an AIO right now with the stock IHS.

Well, I'd advise against using Conductonaut on bare copper. The nickel plating is what insulates it from damage, even though it doesn't attack copper as badly as it does aluminum. Steve at GN did a video about Conductonaut's effects on different metals - and as I recall, it stains copper pretty readily, but I'd be worried more about long-term degradation.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 23, 2018

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, I'd advise against using Conductonaut on bare copper. The nickel plating is what insulates it from damage, even though it doesn't attack copper as badly as it does aluminum. Steve at GN did a video about Conductonaut's effects on different metals - and as I recall, it stains copper pretty readily, but I'd be worried more about long-term degradation.

So using the stock IHS with LM is the best current solution for long term use?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So using the stock IHS with LM is the best current solution for long term use?

To my understanding, yes.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

LRADIKAL posted:

It is. What is also correct physics is that 115C isn't all that hot. There are manufacturing steps which bake wafers at temps of like 1000C or more, fyi.

The main reason chips fail at high temps is actually package failure, not silicon. If they engineer the package for higher temps (e.g. use only high melting point solders, make sure the organic substrate materials are fine at a higher temp than normal, pay attention to differential thermal expansion strains, etc), hotspots of 115C should be fine.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Temperature also increases leakage, so you end up having to dissipate more power.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

MSI engineer discusses 9900K

8. if you are afraid of 115c cpu temp, and you are not luckly enough/rich enough to get the best silicon lottery's 9900k, then
dont use 9900k. the stereotype of 100c is no longer suitable for 9900k.

I mean, he pretty much sums up the entire 9900k's state of existence right there. "Be rich and buy a binned one, accept that it's gonna melt your poo poo, or gtfo you poor."

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I for one am glad I get to re-live the dying days of Netburst all over again

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I for one am glad I get to re-live the dying days of Netburst all over again

:hellyeah: it's a wild ride

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

suck my woke dick posted:

:hellyeah: it's a wild ride

Hell yes.
Where’s my 9900k amazon

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

rage-saq posted:

Hell yes.
Where’s my 9900k amazon

Silicon Lottery is looking into services to provide for the 9900k, and they seem to be thinking that at least delidding will still be on the menu, and that results in the greatest temp drop (something like 7 C as opposed to 2 C from lapping).

So, worst case I do without a gaming CPU for a week or two while I send it off and have them do the thing.

As an aside, though - I thought I saw someone say in this thread (edit: lol like a few posts above this one, good work brain) that if you delid you need to re-up the TIM every two or three years? Did I hallucinate that, and if I didn't, is that the case? If the latter, I think I'd just rather keep a lower OC than have to dick around with that every couple years.

Gyrotica fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 23, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've seen 20+ year old TIM, it still works, but works WAY better when it's fresher. Like saving 10 degrees from something newer. It's a very gradual process though so it's not going to fail one day, just like gain a degree over a year.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Gallium (or galinstan) will alloy with copper, but it shouldn't invade and destroy it like aluminum. You'll end up with an alloy layer on the copper that won't scrub off, but it shouldn't cause any problems.

seriously though, keep it the gently caress away from aluminum. one drop will completely destroy any aluminum part. gallium don't give a poo poo. gallium nasty.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

seriously though, keep it the gently caress away from aluminum. one drop will completely destroy any aluminum part. gallium don't give a poo poo. gallium nasty.

Yup. If anyone hasn't seen the effects, here's a relevant clip...

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I did direct die cooling using a copper waterblock and Conductonaut. The block has a silver, die-shaped, stain on the contact plate but it is otherwise perfectly fine. It was absolutely impossible to clean, it is clearly permeated into the copper and not just on the surface.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
You can get automotive grade chips that are designed to run at 125C but those are typically a lot lower power and cost chips than a desktop CPU so I'm not sure if it could work there as well.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 23, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Intels 9900K page says max temp is 100c. What the gently caress is going on here.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

redeyes posted:

Intels 9900K page says max temp is 100c. What the gently caress is going on here.

Based on context ("core temperatures may vary by 10C under normal conditions, and up to 20C is OK") maybe the cores themselves can run at up to 115C if the package doesn't exceed 100C?

MSI Guy may be wrong, but his screen does show his chip running at 109C.

edit: TweakTown says it's an option in the BIOS

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 23, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The part I don't get is isn't TJmax set on the processor itself? Can you somehow set this on the motherboard?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could override it even way back in the Conroe days. I remember setting mine badly with my Q6800 and needing to look up what the default was because the motherboard only had you key in values, it didn't have an obvious auto setting to use the CPUs recommendation.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ohhh, I never noticed a setting. I'm going to look and up my tjmax to like 110c on my 8700k. It it melts so be it.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Postin’ Paul saying that the 9900K was to be the fastest gaming chip for the next 5 or so years. Something about having to switch to CCX architecture and latency getting worse over the next few node shrinks. If that’s still true given the benchmarks we now have, does that make the price tag a bit easier of a pill to swallow?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I'll tell you in 5 years.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
The 9900k is back to $499 on Amazon. Perhaps this says something about stock levels? Like when the stock actually starts showing up I mean.

This also means for anyone that preordered above $499, this should be the 'pre-order guarantee' price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Siets posted:

I remember Postin’ Paul saying that the 9900K was to be the fastest gaming chip for the next 5 or so years. Something about having to switch to CCX architecture and latency getting worse over the next few node shrinks. If that’s still true given the benchmarks we now have, does that make the price tag a bit easier of a pill to swallow?

Pure self indulgent speculation.