Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

do they make a motherboard that is completely enclosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

taqueso posted:

A laptop?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

taqueso posted:

Yup!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

taqueso posted:

NZXT makes a Z390: https://www.nzxt.com/categories/motherboards

I'd assume they'll make a Z490 ~eventually~. They seem to be extremely lax on BIOS updates - the last one for the Z390 was a year ago.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 3, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I want a game console PC with no dumb PC standards ~800W TDP built in power supply 10L kthx.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

eames posted:

I assume the Comet Lake NDA was lifted earlier today.

10900K apparently comes with a stock PL2 of 250W for 56 seconds (9900K was 128W for 28 seconds). I can understand the need for a new socket now, although the overclocking headroom is likely going to be smaller than it was.

The new 10 series also allows users to enable/disable Hyperthreading per core as a security overclocking feature. :confuoot:

obligatory Anandtech link:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15758/intels-10th-gen-comet-lake-desktop

What comes after Comet Lake for the desktop? Tiger Lake?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scientist Al Gore posted:

What comes after Comet Lake for the desktop? Tiger Lake?

Rocket Lake - it's still going to be on 14nm (however many pluses) and is expected to still be compatible with the same LGA1200 socket that Comet Lake will use.

I think the other big thing about it is that Rocket Lake is supposed to be using the new Xe iGPUs (which Tiger Lake will also use, but Tiger Lake is going to be mobile-only)

After Rocket Lake is supposed to be Alder Lake, which is going to be 10nm on desktop

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rocket Lake - it's still going to be on 14nm (however many pluses) and is expected to still be compatible with the same LGA1200 socket that Comet Lake will use.

I think the other big thing about it is that Rocket Lake is supposed to be using the new Xe iGPUs (which Tiger Lake will also use, but Tiger Lake is going to be mobile-only)

After Rocket Lake is supposed to be Alder Lake, which is going to be 10nm on desktop

Is Rocket Lake still essentially Sky Lake? If so, drat.

If the rumors are true hopefully Alder Lake comes out later this year and I'll have yet another excuse to build a new pc :dance:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

These lakes all look the same

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

If the rumors are true hopefully Alder Lake comes out later this year and I'll have yet another excuse to build a new pc :dance:

Yeah, Rocket Lake is still 14nm, except they're backporting all the I/O and iGPU stuff from Tiger Lake (which is 10nm-mobile)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rocket Lake is reportedly a backport of Tiger Lake so there should be some IPC gains this time around. It’s 14nm but a new uarch and PCIe 4.

Now, it's not all sunshine and roses, this is a core that was originally designed for 10++, with much higher density, so it will probably experience at least some clock regressions as things get farther apart and the timings loosen. I doubt it'll hit 5.0 let alone 5.3, they'll regress probably to 4.5-4.7 GHz territory.

But still, 4.7 is a lot better than 5.3 in terms of thermals. This will move Intel back towards IPC competitiveness (probably about on par with Zen3 in productivity workloads) and away from just maxing the clocks.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 4, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What are the enhancements with Tiger Lake that look interesting? I'm seeing DDR5, PCI Express 4.0 and support for newer versions of Display Port, HDMI, USB, etc.

The only one that's useful appears to be PCI Express 4.0.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

What are the enhancements with Tiger Lake that look interesting? I'm seeing DDR5, PCI Express 4.0 and support for newer versions of Display Port, HDMI, USB, etc.

The only one that's useful appears to be PCI Express 4.0.

higher IPC in general, Ice Lake alone is already +18% IPC vs Skylake and Tiger Lake is a generation beyond that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, Rocket Lake is a whole new core architecture (intel's first new one on desktop since August 2015) on an old process. It is kind of a "tock" by intel's old naming. Still 14nm, still on Socket 1200.

Care of Videocardz a while back:

It is after Rocket Lake (and after Zen 3 for AMD) that the whole market just turns to big question marks all at once. New sockets, new architectures, new nodes, new memory, new interconnects, new packaging, etc, for everyone all within a 1-2 year span. Gonna be wild, and the roller coaster is gonna start with mobile in a few months here.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What do they mean by CPU attached storage?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

persistent memory?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

E: I missed that it was in the new column, this is about something totally different. I don't know what that is aside from support for Optane on a consumer platform.

Instead of the lanes to that storage device coming from the motherboard chipset, which is a switch and introduces latency and bandwidth restrictions, the lanes come directly from the CPU.

Think of it like using a USB hub. If you have a bunch of thumb drives attached to it and read and write from all of them at once, you're going to get bandwidth limitations compared to plugging them all directly into their own ports on the PC itself.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Interesting, will that be supported by Non-Optane SSDs or just Intel?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Interesting, will that be supported by Non-Optane SSDs or just Intel?

It is just an M.2 attached directly to PCIe lanes from the CPU. It can offer better performance in specific scenarios (that dont really matter to home users), and it will let Intel support one PCIe 4.0 SSD on their systems (which doesnt really matter to home users). AMD already does it on their side.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Will we also see a whole new slew of SSDs in the Fall? Assuming that when Rocket Lake comes out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Will we also see a whole new slew of SSDs in the Fall? Assuming that when Rocket Lake comes out.

Yeah, there's a newer Phison controller (there is one that is their previous gen with pcie 4.0 bolted on already) along with new drives from Intel, Samsung (980 Pro), Kioxia (Toshiba) and Western Digital all showing up in the near future with pcie 4 connections.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't think youll see any Rocket Lake in Fall. Rumor is that Intel is accelerating Rocket Lake as much as they can, but even then, Winter at the earliest seems likely to me. Comet Lake isn't even out the door yet for desktop. Fall 2021, sure. :v:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cygni posted:

Yeah, Rocket Lake is a whole new core architecture (intel's first new one on desktop since August 2015) on an old process. It is kind of a "tock" by intel's old naming. Still 14nm, still on Socket 1200.

Care of Videocardz a while back:

It is after Rocket Lake (and after Zen 3 for AMD) that the whole market just turns to big question marks all at once. New sockets, new architectures, new nodes, new memory, new interconnects, new packaging, etc, for everyone all within a 1-2 year span. Gonna be wild, and the roller coaster is gonna start with mobile in a few months here.

Wait why are they removing the ~secure enclave~ in some of the models?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hed posted:

Wait why are they removing the ~secure enclave~ in some of the models?
6 attacks in about 5 years; Prime+Probe, Spectre-like, Enclave, Microscope replay, Plundervolt, and LVI attacks proved that Intel completely failed at making something that was supposed to be secure.
Each of those either leak information (including RSA keys) or let the SGX be controlled by an attacker. A few of them are remote attacks that just need privilege on the host.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 4, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks, I should have been more specific. My question is why do they say they’ve removed it from Rocket Lake-S? That implies to me they are going to do something different for the mobile chipset?

Really I want to know if it’s going to be completely phased out as everything cycles. It certainly seems so.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15763/first-atx12vo-consumer-motherboard-the-asrock-z490-phantom-gaming-4sr

I'm surprised anyone is launching ATX12VO designs in the DIY space. I don't think its going to be a very big market initially.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cygni posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15763/first-atx12vo-consumer-motherboard-the-asrock-z490-phantom-gaming-4sr

I'm surprised anyone is launching ATX12VO designs in the DIY space. I don't think its going to be a very big market initially.

Why? Because the power supplies don't exist? Getting rid of the 24pin connector is a good thing.

With parts obsoleteness rate in the PC industry I don't think anyone would mind not being able to use their old PSU.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shaocaholica posted:

Why? Because the power supplies don't exist? Getting rid of the 24pin connector is a good thing.

In principle you should be able to make an ATX12VO aftermarket/replacement cable for anything that has modular cables. You don't get the benefits of the smaller/less complex PSU, but it doesn't hold anything up either.

(or just a straight-up ATX-to-ATX12VO adapter cable)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I will love it if that 24 pin connector goes the way of the dodo!

Also the psu makers need a standard for their modular cables, because that stuff is all over the place often with disastrous results.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Any standard or trend to minimize DIY PC cabling is good no matter how minor.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

priznat posted:

I will love it if that 24 pin connector goes the way of the dodo!

Also the psu makers need a standard for their modular cables, because that stuff is all over the place often with disastrous results.

Yep, I got a refurbished EVGA PSU, and they gave me a SATA power cable meant for another one of their PSU lines. It plugged in fine, but when I used it, the computer wouldn't even boot (probably a ground fault). Luckily it didn't fry anything, but it's still incredibly stupid that manufacturers can't standardize it within their own lines because they're just buying stuff from third parties and slapping their names on them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Inept posted:

Yep, I got a refurbished EVGA PSU, and they gave me a SATA power cable meant for another one of their PSU lines. It plugged in fine, but when I used it, the computer wouldn't even boot (probably a ground fault). Luckily it didn't fry anything, but it's still incredibly stupid that manufacturers can't standardize it within their own lines because they're just buying stuff from third parties and slapping their names on them.

Yeah the pins are actually swapped in a dangerous way when going between corsair and evga power supply cables, which led to every one of the cables in the lab getting labelled for the appropriate psu

Also the fact you can plug in a pcie 6 pin cable into a cpu power 8 pin socket is also dumb as hell. Fix the keying because if it is doable somebody will do it!!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

priznat posted:

Also the fact you can plug in a pcie 6 pin cable into a cpu power 8 pin socket is also dumb as hell. Fix the keying because if it is doable somebody will do has done it!!

Fixed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh absolutely, it’s been done in my very lab with exciting results.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Here's a super simple convention. You know how the PCIe connectors have square ones and the one with 2 beveled corners used for keying. Just make one of those 12V and the other GND. No way to fuckup the pinouts between different makers, etc. Doesn't matter how many pins you use.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ain't none of you ever seen what happens when you plug a pci card in backwards

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaocaholica posted:

With parts obsoleteness rate in the PC industry I don't think anyone would mind not being able to use their old PSU.

Because the supplies don't exist and the standard was explicitly made for OEMs that have to meet bulk efficiency requirements in California, not DIY. It also raises the price/complexity of motherboards, which generally have a shorter expected use period than power supplies.

I'm personally all for the standard in a world where all the minor rails do is drive SATA and some old integrated ICs that should be replaced anyway (im looking at you ITE), but again, I'm just surprised anyone is bothering to make DIY boards for it already. But when you look at the board and specs, its pretty clear who the intended market is.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The power supply should just plug directly into a distribution board/wire harness built in to the case behind the motherboard tray, and the motherboard/drives/etc should all plug in to that, the only cables it should need are for fan hubs, pumps, GPUs and stuff like that. Like the power connector on the motherboard would be on the back side of the board and would just slot right in to a matching plug on the case.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If we going in the all +12V direction, why not just have PCI-E 8-pin replace the bulky 24-pin on the mobo side while standardizing all modular cables on the PSU end FFS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
why not full 48v like servers. highest efficiency, smallest cables