Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The apple M1 is fast because it has encoders for video formats. When they use a non-supported codec it flats flat on its rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The m1 is still the fastest quad core processor period (I don't count the 4 power saving cores, because multithread performance is only ~4x single thread instead of ~8x like on other 8 core cpus). The m1x should be 8+4 core and murder every other 8 core cpu.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

redeyes posted:

The apple M1 is fast because it has encoders for video formats. When they use a non-supported codec it flats flat on its rear end.

What are you even talking about? Can you provide some kind of benchmark to back up whatever it is you're saying?

The M1 is a fast processor, period. It's very competitive on pure performance in its market segment (quad core mobile chips) and it absolutely slays on performance per watt-hour. This holds across all kinds of synthetic benchmarks that don't measure video encoding performance, and on various software-only video encoding performance tests.

Intel has a hardware encoder as well. So does AMD (although they tie it to their integrated graphics rather than the CPU itself). All three hardware encoders are very fast and power efficient, but don't offer tuning options, and don't do incredibly well on output quality or compression efficiency. So, serious video editing work might use the hardware encoders for previews, but will render out the final result with a higher-quality, slower software encoder.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

redeyes posted:

lol

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Intel should have added the Lena encoder and it would have won in every benchmark tbh.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Beef posted:

Intel should have added the Lena encoder and it would have won in every benchmark tbh.

redeyes posted:

So now the Intel chuds are posting their hot takes that it's all just about video and image encoding. Even the generalized benchmarks are all rigged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

screamin and creamin posted:

So now the Intel chuds are posting their hot takes that it's all just about video and image encoding. Even the generalized benchmarks are all rigged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont think redeyes is an intel fanboy (based on his 8700k comments), i think hes probably just a weirdo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wait, has the use of chuds here officially evolved past a politically partisan framing?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

wait, has the use of chuds here officially evolved past a politically partisan framing?

I still think it's missed opportunity by every streaming service to gain the rights to stream the actual movie (unless someone did, in which case, I missed it...).

Beef posted:

I chuckled — especially because thinking for about 15 seconds as to how to actually achieve this cracked me up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

movax posted:

I still think it's missed opportunity by every streaming service to gain the rights to stream the actual movie (unless someone did, in which case, I missed it...).

eh the movie’s trash, even by the standards of the genre it was deliberately and cynically trying to cash in on

title’s kind of the best thing about it. certainly more memorable than the CHUDs themselves.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I admit there are sort of limited cross platform benchmarks to compare the M1 vs x86 but I've seen a bunch of software devs on twitter commenting on how quickly they can compile their apps on the new M1 vs pretty much any Intel mac. I'm pretty sure that isn't due to any fixed-function hardware on the chip, it's just fast.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how does it hold up in gaming though

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

About as fast as the other Macs :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

how does it hold up in gaming though

Depends- are you talking about native, x86 MacOS games running under Rosetta 2, ROMs running under a native emulator, ROMs running under an x86 emulator under Rosetta 2, or Windows games running via crossover/wine?

As far as I’ve seen, pulling from all of those categories games either run surprisingly well, shockingly well, or they simply don’t run at all.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

or Windows games running via crossover/wine?
Two posts by Codeweavers.
https://www.codeweavers.com/blog/jwhite/2020/11/18/okay-im-on-the-bandwagon-apple-silicon-is-officially-cool
https://www.codeweavers.com/blog/jnewman/2020/11/23/more-crossover-m1-goodness-see-3-different-windows-games-running
Seems quite promising.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

There are so many layers of emulation going on here, that twitch in my left eye started acting up again.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

I think there are some jokes that have gone over your head in your rush to post Intel chud takedown posts.

https://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/lenpeg.html

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I feel like I'm going to have to go buy one of these things and run the same compiles and poo poo on them just to get an actual answer was to what has better XYZ microbenchmark dickwaving stats.

Christ.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I feel like I'm going to have to go buy one of these things and run the same compiles and poo poo on them just to get an actual answer was to what has better XYZ microbenchmark dickwaving stats.

Christ.
Will you do me a favour and run a bunch of them, then put them through ministat?
You should be able to just grab a few files and build on Linux or macOS.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Will you do me a favour and run a bunch of them, then put them through ministat?
You should be able to just grab a few files and build on Linux or macOS.

Ppl in the Mac threads could probably help with this

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kazinsal posted:

Anandtech ran quite a few tests:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested

I picked up a M1 Air a few days ago. It's absurdly fast for a fanless computer. Also incredibly power efficient.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seems pretty early for full(ish?) clock Rocket Lake to be showing up in prebuilt leaks, wonder if it’s coming sooner than the rumored March?

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5125074

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is the top RL since they aren't doing the 10 core this gen, right? The numbers look identical to the 5800x so mayne I'll actually be able to get one of these before the Zen lol.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

This is the top RL since they aren't doing the 10 core this gen, right? The numbers look identical to the 5800x so mayne I'll actually be able to get one of these before the Zen lol.

AFAIK yes the i9 for Rocket Lake is going to be an 8-core

the reported max frequency of 4.8 GHz is roughly in line with the leak from mid-October

gradenko_2000 posted:

A Rocket Lake leak?

https://twitter.com/harukaze5719/status/1318559787794092032

I rewrote it so it's easier to read:

EDIT:

It's good that Rocket Lake might be capable of matching Zen 3 if it means it's going to push AMD to either drop prices or come out with non-X versions of its Ryzen 5000 SKUs.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 3, 2020

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Rocket Lake is still a monolithic arch with a ring bus, right? I'm curious to see how die yields for it on a super-mature node will compete with Ryzen chiplets. This matters for stuff like Silicon Lottery's binning and also what to expect for quality/endurance in general

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

Seems pretty early for full(ish?) clock Rocket Lake to be showing up in prebuilt leaks, wonder if it’s coming sooner than the rumored March?

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5125074

So compared to a 3800X, they're matched for single thread perf but the Rocket Lake has a 10% lead in multicore. It would be interesting to know where the discrepancy comes from.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Will also be interesting to see if that 20% increase in single thread over a 10900k in Geekbench actually results in a 20% lift in games. If it does, that would be a pretty massive jump and should be the clear gaming leader. I'm kinda skeptical of that though.

Also gonna be interesting to see if Z590 is just Z490 + mandatory PCIe 4.0 support on the CPU lanes, cause i dont see anything else new on the Tiger Lake laptops chipset really?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
What's the Intel equivalent of the 3600x?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Zeta Acosta posted:

10400 I guess?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

There is none because Intel limits memory speeds on their mainstream chipsets.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Zeta Acosta posted:

i5-10600K maybe

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Arzachel posted:

There is none because Intel limits memory speeds on their mainstream chipsets.

IIRC at least for gaming comet lake with 2933 is faster than zen2 with 3600.

Edited: accidentally wrote rocket lake instead of comet lake

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MSI leaked Rocket Lake again with the same 3.4 base 5ghz boost frequency. 125w stated TDP.

Im actually considering it if da gamez framez are good/better than Zen 3, otherwise ill prolly spring for a 5900x/5950x.

https://videocardz.com/newz/msi-mistakenly-reveals-8-core-16-thread-intel-rocket-lake-s-cpu-z-specificaitons

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Are current intel mobo chipset's also furnaces like the AMD ones? That is one thing putting me off of getting a zen3 (and the absolute lack of availability here in Europe). I've been going "Ohh I could possibly wait one more generation till I upgrade" for 3 years now, whats another half year...

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Ika posted:

Are current intel mobo chipset's also furnaces like the AMD ones? That is one thing putting me off of getting a zen3 (and the absolute lack of availability here in Europe). I've been going "Ohh I could possibly wait one more generation till I upgrade" for 3 years now, whats another half year...

No, but temps on b550 are also fine. It's really x570 that gets hot so unless you actually need the additional bandwidth for some reason, b550 is a good option for zen 3.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

VorpalFish posted:

No, but temps on b550 are also fine. It's really x570 that gets hot so unless you actually need the additional bandwidth for some reason, b550 is a good option for zen 3.

Ah ok. I had assumed it was across the board. But makes sense - its not handling PCIe 4 datarates.

E: vvvv Ya that's what I am saying, x570 chipset I handling PCIe4, b550 isn't.

Ika fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 5, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
nah its all the extra pcie 4 lanes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeta Acosta posted:

The i5-10400 (or the F model) is the 6-core-12-thread CPU from Intel's 10th gen. This is a locked (no-overclocking) part, and while you can't always compare performance based just on clock speeds, the max turbo of the 10400 is only 100 MHz behind that of the 3600X (and greater than the 3600 non-X).

What holds the 10400 back is the issue with memory speeds: if you're not going to overclock, then you could make-do with an H410 or B460 motherboard, since those boards don't allow for overclocking... which is fine if you're getting a locked chip, but then your memory speed is limited to 2666 MHz*.

The only way to allow your memory to run faster would be to get a Z490 board, but if you're getting a board that lets you overclock, then you're also leaving some performance on the table by not getting an overclockable CPU, which brings us to...

the i5-10600K (or the KF model) is the 6-core-12-thread CPU that's unlocked.

Having said all that this issue with memory speed caps against the boards and the locked/unlocked CPU models is problematic because you're looking at something like a 150+ USD gap in pricing between the 10400 and an H410 board, versus a 10600K and a Z490.

___

* i3 and i5 CPUs are limited to 2666 MHz memory speeds on an H410 / B460. i7 and i9 CPUs are limited to 2933 MHz on the same boards.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

IIRC at least for gaming comet lake with 2933 is faster than zen2 with 3600.

Edited: accidentally wrote rocket lake instead of comet lake

The overclockable/higher turbo models maybe, but the 10400 is locked at 2666 MHz memory so a 3600 with a half decent memory kit ends up sweeping both gaming and all core benches. Really hoping Intel doesn't kneecap their mid-range chipsets again with Rocket Lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I could have sworn I saw something about manufacturers saying that low-/mid-range 500-series boards (coming out to coincide with Rocket Lake) are going to support higher memory speeds, but I can't dig up a source anymore and googling just gives me Smart Access Memory hits.