Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I thought Intel said earlier this year or late last year that they were getting out of the GPU market? If so, why the sudden change in direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disgustipated posted:

They said discrete GPU market, IIRC. Basically they killed Larrabee and that was it.

Ah makes more sense.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alereon posted:

Intel is bringing a feature from mainframes to the desktop: software-upgradeable processors. For $50, you can buy a scratch-off code that can be used with the Intel Upgrade Application to enable HyperThreading and an additional 1MB of L3 cache on a Pentium G6951. This seems like a pretty lovely deal, since it basically takes a $100 processor and still doesn't make it as good as a $115 Core i3 processor. If it turned the CPU into a real Core i5 with Turbo and the regular GPU clock speeds, in addition to HT and the rest of the cache, that might be a worthwhile upgrade.

...and this is why I'm going to stick with AMD, they haven't tried to pull poo poo like this yet

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WhyteRyce posted:

And even then, wasn't the AM1 socket an abortion at least compared to 939 and AM2?

I thought it was an abortion of the 940 socket, they shared similar pins

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Apple has been pretty big on tons of things that get unceremoniously shitcanned when they can do soemthing else...

I wish they'd bump up the GPU in the Apple Macbook Pro though

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

Unless intel's goal was "make a port for macs and maybe high end workstations that will die in ten years" how the gently caress did they think $100 for a license fee for a loving port was a good idea when OEMs can just spend $1 on a USB controller instead :psyduck:

Its why USB 3.0 and the new USB-C standards are sticking.

Because Intel didn't learn the lesson from Sony Betamax and Firewire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

No matter what anyone else tells you, the only true dealbreaker disadvantage Betamax had was the recording length issue. And that's really not applicable to Thunderbolt.

Licensing fees. Betamax was an excellent product held back by Sony jacking licensing costs.

The same could be said of Lightning.
Hell, that is what happened to FireWire. Excellent protocol, fast, but poor market penetration outside of high end or specialized systems.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Sony could have taped a $10 bill to every Betamax cassette and it wouldn't have mattered, because it still wouldn't have held a feature film.

True, didn't think about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Update your BIOS if you have Skylake CPUs:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/01/intel-skylake-bug-causes-pcs-to-freeze-during-complex-workloads/

quote:

Intel has confirmed that its Skylake processors suffer from a bug that can cause a system to freeze when performing complex workloads. Discovered by mathematicians at the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS), the bug occurs when using the GIMPS Prime95 application to find Mersenne primes.