Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mew force shoelace posted:

The return of the turbo button

The turbo button used to slow computers down, not speed them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:v: True

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Magnificent Quiver posted:

You're saying that when the button was in its activated position, it made the computer faster?
edit: I see what you did there, grammar nazi.

The turbo button 'on' ran the computer at normal speed, with it 'off' it was slower... like for games/apps that were synchronized to the clock rate.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 14, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spime Wrangler posted:

And keep in mind that poo poo like memristors are probably going to hit within a decade. What the gently caress are people going to be able to do with nonvolatile memory an order of magnitude denser, and order of magnitude lower-power, and two orders of magnitude faster than flash that work better as they get smaller, can store non-binary states, can be used as programmable analog circuits, can implement neural networks in hardware, are likely stackable in 3D, and which can do computation without a CPU?
This sounded like a spergy movie quote. It was loving awesome. :coal:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

When has this been the case past 2008? The market differentiation right now is between number of cores, not clock speed, and the cost for another core on the AMD side is about $15. It's not as if we're all looking at Conroes anymore where the difference was 0.5ghz and a cache bump for $70.
Look at the 930 i7s that are conservatively overclocking to 3.8ghz on air fairly easily.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

A company I used to deal with for work was called White Power. They are still around but thankfully tweaked their name.

I get that WP was for the founders initials, normal thing like JRZ or whatever, but the choice to call it White Power was always a bit weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, my mistake, I was thinking of the Austrian suspension company WP