Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Marinmo posted:

Does anyone know if (U)EFI will be the default on the motherboards coming out with SB (which would be sweet!)? Think I saw a video by some Swedish site previewing UEFI, but I don't know if it was a SB-related thing or not. Anyone?
I think I remember seeing that video, which was basically a preview of ASUS's implementation of UEFI for their Sandy Bridge lineup. I'm guessing most motherboard manufacturers will be moving to UEFI because of the improvements/enhancements. Like being able to boot from drives over 2 TB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Second Sun posted:

Seeing the i3 variants not being overclockable is tremendously disappointing. I was looking at building a cheap pc for running dolphin and pcsx2 emulators (they only use 2 cores). Having a ~$100 4.5ghz cpu would have rocked.
The roadmaps and pretty much all info from the past several months mentioning specifics stated that the "K" variants would be the only unlocked processors, and that the i5 2500K and i7 2600K were the only "K" CPUs on the roadmap for the initial release. Sorry that you're disheartened, but this shouldn't really be a surprise if you were following the lead-up so far.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

So, am I wrong to assume that DDR3 1333 and 1600 will have minimal real world difference even if you overclock these processors? Is it also true for Sandy Bridge that you're supposed to use lower-voltage 1.5v RAM? There's an 8GB kit of G.Skill 1333 on sale for $69.99 and that Corsair "Vengeance" DDR3 1600 for $54.99 per 4GB stick at NCIX right now.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Eh. I'm comfortable tweaking and I'll likely end up overclocking the processor at some point. I just usually don't see a point when it comes to memory timings since they barely seem to affect anything besides benchmarking.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

I stuck a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ on no problem. Gigantic and efficient and cheap. Parts picking megathread's default suggestion. Just be sure you're working with a case that can take it.
I'm trying to decide on a cooler, too, but it seems like most of them worth anything for overclocking hang over at least the first RAM slot when you attach a fan, making that slot useless if you happen to have memory with taller heatsinks. Does the Hyper 212+ not do that?

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

It hangs over, but there's enough clearance for non-heatsinked or low-profile heatsinked RAM. I use G.Skill Sniper, and it would fit, but Ripjaws (with the fins on top) would not, for example. :ninja: Hangs over the first slot only, so 2xhigh profile heatsinks can still be installed if you use the B channel, which the manual said is the preferred channel for 2-DIMM setups anyway.
Ah. Alright. Guess I'll just have to buy some memory with shorter heatsinks. This is meant to be my (relatively) inexpensive at-home rendering workhorse, so I might end up filling the slots.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Splat posted:

How does one go about removing whatever thermal paste residue is left by the stock fan?
General advice (and what I usually do) is to just stick with high concentration isopropyl alcohol (90+%) on cotton pads and/or swabs until no more thermal paste residue comes off, and then wipe off any little cotton remnants with a lint-free cloth or a coffee filter and let everything dry for a bit. Try to avoid "rubbing alcohol" as it can have extra oil in it since it's meant to be used on skin.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

I wouldn't trade it for all the bottles of rubbing alcohol and things made out of cotton in the world.
Isopropyl alcohol is easily obtainable in your local pharmacy, can be found for pretty damned cheap, and works just as well as something like ArctiClean. But the economics part really only matters if you're working on a lot of systems. Plus, from what I remember, ArctiClean might remove thermal paste residue faster. It's not a miracle product, though, and you're just as well-off using isopropyl alcohol instead.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Siroc posted:

Just put together my new Sandy Bridge system with the P8P67-M pro mobo. I started out with CPU temps about 85C. I took off the heatsink, wiped off the heatsink and proc with isoproyl, reseated the heatsink, applied arctic silver to the proc and started it again. Its down to about 70C now. These are high, right? Is it probably another poor heatsink seating? Any thoughts?
Could be some kind of major seating issue (seems unlikely when you already re-seated it and it dropped the temp by 15*C), or it could be something like a temperature reading/reporting problem in the BIOS/UEFI. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any updates for the P8P67-M Pro yet and there aren't any posts in the support forum for the board, so I have no idea whether or not this is a known issue. You might want to check what something like Real Temp says the temperatures are before getting too worried about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

So, do those of us on older systems like Sandy Bridge just wait and hope that Microsoft release a microcode update in a patch? ASUS isn't likely to release an updated BIOS/UEFI for my old P8P67 Pro any time soon, and I can't exactly afford a new system right now.