Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
What about the H67?

It's cheap and basic I know, but it does a decent job right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Alereon posted:

If you're sure you'll never want to overclock or use dual graphics cards, then yes it's a perfectly reasonable option.

Oh. No amount of overclocking is possible on the H67? Wow then it's basic as gently caress and while cheap it's probably overpriced anyway.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
How does the P67 UD3 compare to the UD4?

I read UD3 doesn't seem to be ideal for sli/crossfire and doesn't overclock as well as an UD4. Does this means anything for the "enthusiast" who will just do some mild overclocking? What do you consider would be the 2500k sweet spot between the two?

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

movax posted:

@Paino - terrible for SLI since they didn't split the lanes from the CPU. I dislike Gigabyte, but that board seems to be a solid choice for single-GPU, no deluxe-features needed type computing.

Thought so. My idea is to put a gtx 570 in it and then, in a poor attempt at future proofing, buying a second one for the SLI when it gets cheaper. However this implies overclocking the cpu a bit, buying an additional fan, upgrading to a better, at least 850w PSU.

Does this even make sense or I'd be wasting money?

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

movax posted:

What resolution do you game at? If you plan to do SLI in the future, definitely get a board that will amenable to it (i.e. 2 x8 Gen 2 lanes split off the CPU).

1920x1080, but I want ultra details everywhere and consistently high FPS. I wonder if, by putting a gtx570 in a lower pci slot and buying a P67 UD4 plus an 800-850w PSU, I'd already be set for a second 570 in, say, 1-2 years to keep the rig in solid shape.

Obviously I'm not on a tight budget but I still would like some value for my money: again, does the above make sense?

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
I don't know if I'm the only one in this silly situation, but my retailer now WON'T SELL ME the P67 that goes with the 2500k that arrived today (it was oos before). I haven't paid it yet, the idea was to pay the whole configuration and bring it home today, but apparently he's telling me he's received instructions NOT TO SELL any of those mobos and that (hush hush) they won't be supported in the future as the new ones to be manufactured in March-April.

Besides, he's telling me there are several reports of people having issues with the SATA 3gb ports from the start. Now we're in this bullshit impasse where I want to buy it anyway and he'd rather not sell it.

My pc is a pretty high end configuration (gtx570, 8gb ram, Corsair Force 120gb), does it make sense to buy an i5 760 now? Upgrading my current pc (duo e6400, x1950pro that stays at 68C even when loving perfectly clean at idle, 2 gb ram) is obviously not an option.

What the gently caress am I supposed to do?

EDIT: this was in the system building thread but it's probably more appropriate here

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Space Gopher posted:

Of course they WON'T SELL YOU a P67 board. They've been recalled. What did you expect?

I expect them selling it to me anyway because my pc is dying, my new setup is ready, I can't wait 3 months and the mobo is perfectly fine except for sata ports THAT I WOULDN'T EVEN USE. Once the new mobos come out I'll receive one while returning the old, which is exactly what will happen to people who bought a P67/H67 piece of poo poo 24 hours earlier than the recall news.

Also, I probably won't buy the same components 3 months from now or if I do I may find them elsewhere at a lower price. My retailer's going to lose money by not selling me the mobo.

My pc is 4+ years old, I don't see what's so weird in not wanting to wait 3 months for an update. I certainly don't care about the recall, it's the retailer's problem: if I'm not getting my setup he's putting me in an unpleasant situation there's no way out of. Buying an old i5 760 is bullshit with my specs. A Bulldozer means a long wait an not necessarily a better cpu.

I already bought a Dell U2311H for my new pc: maybe I could've grabbed it at a lower price 3 months from now, so I've wasted money. I bought COD:Black Ops, a game whose biggest selling point is multiplayer, and I will get no more than 5 months of play before the new one comes out, making the old worthless. Oh by the way: word is that new Asus/Gigabyte mobos are expected in Europe by May at the earliest.

And I believe there are other people in a worse situation than mine, so a "lol, sorry, no pc for you now!" from your (trusted) retailer is simply not good enough.

Paino fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 3, 2011

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

brainwrinkle posted:

The problem is that their supplier has said, "Don't sell any more and send what you have back to us." The fewer RMAs they have to handle the better. The retailer cares more about its relationship with its supplier than you.

I suppose, but if it shows this much he's going to lose a few customers.

brainwrinkle posted:

Honestly a cheap $99 Athlon II quad core and cheap $60-70 AM3 motherboard will work fine for games. Since you ran into some awful luck with SB, return your processor, get an Athlon II setup, and upgrade when SB or Bulldozer is available. It sucks but you don't have many other options.

It's not a bad idea but it would still be a waste of money, and consider that I'm putting that CPU in a pc with a gtx570, 8gb ram, and an SSD Corsair Force. Heh. What I could do is buy the mobo from ebay regardless. I suppose if I bought it and it's flawed I'm entitled to a replacement/refund in April anyway.

Or am I missing something here?

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Factory Factory posted:

An Athlon II system will be perfectly fine for gaming unless you decide to play GTA IV with all the AI settings turned to maximum or something equally over-the-top.

Which is exactly what I want to do with 8gb of fast ram and a gtx570. I certainly don't feel special because of it, I just wanted to spend moderately more to have a high-end rig and play games accordingly.

Factory Factory posted:

You just dumped $350 on your graphics card alone, bought into launch technology, MUST have a new computer NOW, and you balk at spending $160 in a motherboard and processor which you can replace in four months and resell for $120? Don't be an idiot.

It's still very annoying, not to mention the more I spend the more the retailer is supposed to help me find an alternative. Say, maybe a used i5 750/760 is sitting in his shop and I can use it until the new mobos come out. Doesn't seem that crazy to me.

Space Gopher posted:

If you don't get what you want and pitch a fit about it, the retailer loses one customer. If Asus/Gigabyte/MSI/whoever doesn't get all the motherboards back, and finds out that the retailer's been selling products after they've been recalled, the retailer doesn't get to sell their boards any more and goes out of business. Guess who the retailer's going to listen to?

I see your point but with these volumes there are a number of ways to sell them anyway and go "ooops!". Some retailers here do it, some don't. I doubt they're gonna go out of business because they sold a handful more mobos to the most annoying customers (and you can be sure I'm among them). Worst case scenario, the manufacturer refuses the return, you give me the new mobo anyway and use the old one wherever: if I were a retailer I'd rather lose spare change than having some customers not buy a whole setup and tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Sorry about the tantrum, I guess I'm a bit frustrated by the situation and my old pc is slowly dying on me.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

fleshweasel posted:

Honestly, this is kind of a lesson to buy all your parts at the same time. Even though you can wait a few weeks on different stuff and hop on the various sales that come up, it's a riskier way to go. Sandy Bridge guys, return your hardware and if you need need need a new system now then get the i5-750 and resell if you want when the new boards come out. Intel processors retain a lot of value because they don't put discounts on their old platforms. You'll get most of your money back reselling the old cpu and board. For gaming you will probably not even see a difference between the new and old platforms.

So let me get this straight: I have a gtx 570, 8gb ram and an SSD. I want my games at max settings at 1920x1080 and if they don't look good enough like that I'm gonna loving force antialiasing until they do. I want games to melt my face. I want to be forced to wear a mask to prevent melting. What kind of difference I'll notice between an i5 760 and a 2500k while playing now and in the foreseeable future? Is it going to bottleneck the rest of the system a bit? Because in all the benchmarks I've read the i5 gets his rear end handed to him, but then again we're talking about crappy resolutions where cpu performance is more significant than gpu's.

Also as ridiculous as it may sound considering what I decided to spend on my setup, I don't want to lose money by buying and reselling an i5 to get a SB. Either I can get a reasonable deal now or I just won't play poo poo for fear of my old pc exploding and buy everything in April. Keep in mind all my components are ready but nothing is paid for yet.

Paino fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

fleshweasel posted:

also, yeah dude if you're gonna spend so much money why not give 3d a shot too? it probably rules

Sometime during 2011 I probably will.

One last thing, which mobo should I get with an i5 760? I don't need anything fancy feature wise, the only premium I'd be willing to pay is if it had a better onboard audio.