Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Speak of the robot devil.

They're an Ubuntu shop but I haven't found less lovely laptops anywhere even on paper.

They have a more reasonably priced laptop in that form factor, with the rest of your options available, but it's get what you pay for territory.

If you're wondering why it takes a Linux shop to deliver something like this, it's that no one really cares about laptops anymore beyond enterprise, enthusiasts, and Apple fans, and their Venn diagram isn't too far off of three separate circles.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Josh Lyman posted:

If they plan to only sell a CPU integrated into the motherboard, what are desktop DIYers supposed to do until the next tock comes out?

That depends.

If it's just system builders, we're stuck with what evilweasel said.

If they let the component manufacturers in, we could see essentially integrated motherboards. That does raise concerns like this user can't overclock and that user doesn't have all the neat features they want, but we're not too far from that now even with discrete processors and motherboards - and unless you keep unjustifiable spares, losing either part still leaves you down a computer for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a litmus test for Skylake - if the CPU is generally good enough (arguably it was for overclockers two generations ago and is even for stock users now) and it doesn't stand in the way of typical addons, the number of people legitimately left out in the cold may be too small for Intel to care.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 18, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It's around a 6% difference. For ports, a 2500K with a modest overclock (4200 MHz) will still run them handily (and at stock it'll still almost certainly do the job). For native games, they still have to at least try to accomodate the poor souls hidebound to their Q6600 (which even overclocked by 50% is about 2/3 of a 2500K at stock at some tasks and as low as 2/5 at others).

The 4570 is as powerful as that OC 2500K. And since the consoles are x86-64 rather than exotic POWER variants, and get to use 6x1600MHz* of instruction sets that are very nearly all a clean subset of Sandy Bridge or APU-specific (and the rest will be worked out either by the engine's integrated porting process or by the fact you can't count on everything being there on a general PC), it's going to take a lot less time for developers to either discover they have more than enough CPU or max the CPU out - at which point performance is up to your GPU anyway. Odds are pretty good that a 4570 will carry you this generation, and where it couldn't the 4670K won't do much better.

Getting the K matters if you want to overclock, and you're looking at a minimum of $70 in aftermarket heatsink+fan to guarantee a jump worth overclocking for. At this point I don't even recommend non-reference GPUs unless it's something like an R9-290X (which pretty much calls for a 4-slot shotgun cooler or something mad to go with something equally mad) and a CPU is involved in just about everything, not just rendering and the occasional vector calculation, so you can infer my opinion on overclocking from that.

*Yes, I know Xbox One is closer to 1800MHz now. Thanks to the Kinect reserve it's still pretty much level.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 8, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The Lord Bude posted:

I for one certainly won't be making the same early adopter mistake I made with DDR3 ram. There's nothing I regret more than blowing 2 grand on Ram.

Okay, you have to tell us how much RAM you got for 2000 dollars. :allears:

(Also what the exchange rate was then, but given it was when DDR3 was still new this will be hilarious no matter what.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Both, from a CPU standpoint.

From a GPU standpoint it's still dependent on what you're playing, how it's set, and what you're showing it on when you play it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

HalloKitty posted:

That's identical to a 4771 for $40 less. $30 less than the SLOWER 4770, and of course that's locked! For some reason I hadn't thought of Xeons, but I think people definitely should, is there some reason this hasn't featured more prominently in the parts picking thread?

vv Yeah, Xeon is a more high end brand than Core

Integrated GPU is invaluable in diagnostics and a cheap hedge against having no computer if you end up with a bum video card.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

1gnoirents posted:

I still feel like they should just roll the motherboard in half so it has two functional sides.

I too have seen Halt and Catch Fire.

So does your proposal involve using pencil-long standoffs on both sides of the board or just making all PC RAM and not-video add-in cards laptop RAM and add-in cards?

And maybe making video cards themselves socket into the board sideways. (For SLi, socket one into the other.) Then you get the option of having either a computer you could fit in your media cabinet or one with multiple tower coolers.

EDIT: Also this would probably take us back to the "no motherboard is cheap" days, which wouldn't be fun.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Keep in mind that you cannot reliably overclock the i5-4690K past the i7-4790K's stock turbo clocks. Often enough? For making it worth a coinflip, probably. To make it an actual wise investment on a computer you're probably going to have for five years, not so much. Sure, the 4790K is considerably more expensive, but boards and heatsinks for overclocking worth a drat on Haswell aren't cheap either (to the point where it takes a hell of a deal to make it worthwhile).

Don't be surprised if Intel publicly doesn't see the point for K chips past Skylake.

Or possibly for Skylake.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 8, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Panty Saluter posted:

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/201044

I don't know how much I trust this benchmark. The worst performing component in my computer is my 3TB storage drive and that's just "OK", not terrible. Yet for some reason I have a 35% total score? I don't know how they derived that average.

Read a result.

It threw out your SSD because RAM-caching, and they're absolutely right about the risk to your data if it shuts down any way other than gracefully for any reason (they use loss of power as an example because it's by a wide margin the most likely reason).

I don't think they give any weight to the OS, but your system is evaluated as running off of a media drive, because those are the only data the benchmark can actually trust.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 3, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Panty Saluter posted:

The SSD is OS and games basically, I don't think there's anything that would get too bent out of shape on power loss.

I'm glad you've programmatically redirected all your document and save directories to other drives.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Hey, remember that time that AV Comparatives habitually refuses months to years of Windows and other software updates that Microsoft and everyone else on the Internet relies on to block the stuff that's patched already? I mean it's better than the old "Windows 7 SP1 never Windows Updated ever" but it's still pretty bad.

And that time that AV Comparatives habitually assumes a user so dumb and spiteful that you're probably threatening national security by giving them a mint-in-box iPad?

Yeah those are standard operating procedure (Flash Player 12 wtf and they don't even BOTHER accounting for Chrome). You can ask them yourself. Not a surprise when you check out who their grant money comes from.

Also I never see discussion of how anyone handles CVEs, either damning or exonerating. The recent spat between Google and Microsoft is revelatory (and probably capable of inducing crippling depression in the IT Crew here) and they have the least to gain by sitting on vulnerabilities.

This discussion seems to happen in every SHSC thread. And it seems to go the same way in every SHSC thread.

EDIT: Simply by being here and typing in the manner of someone who has heard of English grammar and style selects yourself as someone who Probably Knows Better than most Internet users, and you're probably fine with Microsoft AV (and actually keeping your software actually up to date, and with the sad state of the Web these days probably ad-block) - or whatever thing filters files entering and exiting Mac/Linux hosts or guests - unless you go out of your way to live dangerously. Stubborn family members are going to require training or iPads, in case-by-case measure.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 11, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Intel can probably get back their breathing room just by making 4 cores + hyperthreading a standard.

Boiled Water posted:

However outside of rendering, movie editing and other easily broken up tasks it's not useful at all. DX12 and gaming is not at all close to being multithreaded since it's super difficult to make (I am told).

Pretty much everyone uses middleware/abstraction/someone else's API these days (especially on consoles, where you're probably using the system SDK AND something like UDK or Unity) and there's quite a few of those and they're cutting down on abstraction losses all the time. asm.js of all things is getting viable these days.

Difficulty reaching the metal is real, but not the issue you believe it to be.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

At this point I'm holding on to my 2500K until they make IGPs that hit like my current good-by-2011-standards card. There's some PC exclusives that still call for that but are still worth playing if you don't have a 970 or whatever, and for everything else I've got a PS4 and I'm tired of chasing the graphics dragon.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

No, and whoever told you that shouldn't be giving computer advice.

Celerons traditionally had higher-order instruction sets and other performance characteristics disabled (TW: Wikipedia). Actually some Celerons are pretty much Atoms at this point.

Pentiums are less cut down than Celerons.

The letter (if any) after a given part defines what its priorities are. T processors, for example, are designed to use very little power for their performance level, but this is mostly useful for when getting rid of heat is actually an issue. Think very high altitude, not servers (you should probably be using Xeons in servers and custom A/C jobs in server rooms). Intel ARK will let you compare the different letter versions of a given processor number - this is quite handy.

On the other hand, for Intel processors power draw and thermal discharge are mostly a concern for high/heavy use circumstances - even if it's constantly doing low-level stuff (Internet) it won't be doing much more than what it would be idling (read: probably nowhere near TDP), and when actual serious work or play is to be done you'd probably rather the performance. Stick with baseline or unlocked processors.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 26, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

HalloKitty posted:

I didn't really read too much into it, but suddenly I'm whisked back a few years to the time of the announcement that memristors would be replacing our storage and RAM by.. 2013.

:agreed:

And even if it DOES pan out, it'll be a few years before it hits stuff you care about, and who knows if the general public will even be able to get general-purpose computers without extortionate price tags and onerous regulations, the way the mobile revolution or whatever is going.

Just get the SSD now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any meaningful bullshit kneecapping happening to the 6700K versus the 6700, similar to the 2600K vs 2600? I see the 6700K has VT-d, so no? --edit: Oh, it lacks vPro and TXT. Should I be bothered about this?

That's pretty much enterprise security stuff, and there may actually be something wrong with you if you use unlocked-multiplier chips in an enterprise.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

lDDQD posted:

Why do people want these [5775c] for desktop, again? The integrated graphics (which you aren't going to use) takes up like half the die. Surely, you'd be better off with with that die area used to give it... I dunno, like 20 megs more cache or 4 extra cores or something?

The integrated graphics are an Iris Pro 6200. A little shy of a GTX 750, to be sure, but it also means that A) a lot of people will be just fine with that depending on their game portfolio, and B) you can still game if your card kicks it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

wargames posted:

I must ask why are people wanting to delid their cpus?

Intel can't/won't (don't remember which) solder the heat spreader to the CPU die so they attach it with thermal compound. Reportedly way the hell too much thermal compound.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

isn't 8.1 actually more invasive than 10 in the telemetry since it doesn't have explicit and stringent exclusions that windows 10's has

I don't know if it came that way, but I DO know that the telemetry stuff from 10 got backported to 7 and 8.1, that even vigilance won't help you because of Microsoft's habit of reissuing KB updates (like GWX), and that they have no fine control like they have in 10.

So effectively probably yes.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is there a way to force Windows 10 to use the Start Screen and, on Winkey + S, bring up that nifty sidebar instead of the Start Menu?

You can full-screen the Start menu in PC Settings > Personalization > Start with the "Use Start full screen" toggle (fifth from top).

The Charms bar is gone.

We have a Windows 10 thread, and it's mostly good-faith.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The 4790K and its near-gigahertz jump was kind of exceptional, though. The 6700K only gets a 200 MHz stock rise over the basic 6700 (according to ARK, anyway), and it's hard to imagine a task where 4000 MHz isn't already good enough.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Don Lapre posted:

There are games which requirea quad core cpu unless you futs with dlls

Some will quit themselves if they can't see four threads, because their developers are poo poo. Skylake i3s are all good for four threads.

I don't know of any games that demand four physical cores.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Intel's got something working for most HD4000 cards - go to the Microsoft Update Catalog in Internet Explorer and search for your GPU's VID and PID from its Device Manager details if you want to like triple-check it. Don't know if it'll still Crossfire, but it's really only a stopgap anyway because even AMD retired all support for the cards. Almost three years ago.

Pryor on Fire posted:

In a previous life we'd overclock Xeons that were part of a ~$10 million cluster for shits and giggles. There is no such thing as a "day long calculation" that the server is going to crash right before it completes, clusters or mainframes like this are constantly reading/writing data and crashes don't really matter much, just have to reprocess some segment of the model that never completed when it should.

Out of curiosity, once you've overclocked your Xeon how do you certify the numbers it gives you independently? After all, Intel's certification isn't valid anymore and you don't have their testing suites.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 8, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

HD 4000?

2560x1440/QHD it can do fine - in fact this is declared as its maximum supported array size and it's actually okay for its time - and it's the oldest series of Intel IGPs supported by Windows 10. For WQHD or UHD you can use hacks to get it working in 24 Hz mode but seriously just bring in outside help - in which case nVidia's 750 Ti is Maxwell-based (their current GPU series until Pascal comes out) and some of that model can run on bus power alone, if those matter.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

DeaconBlues posted:

Are there any models that are particularly quiet in that class?

Bus power is 75•W (stock 750 Ti is designed for 60) and desktop compositing doesn't take much these days. Don't be surprised if the only time you hear the fan outside of POST is something like 4K video.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SuperDucky posted:

Yeah they must really be having yield issues with that L4 cache...

Of course, the most compelling upgrade reason in 3 years and they kill it off. :rolleyes:

I'm going to end up riding my 2500K into the ground, aren't I.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Z270s have a questionably valuable additional feature over the Z170 in that they'll will be Optane-ready.

RAM you can't flush by rebooting. *shudder*

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

AEMINAL posted:

ryzen is plain bad

Marketing has to be going with the redemption/phoenix :supaburn: angle. Now with EXTREME alternate spelling for market clade triangulation.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

If you're on Windows 10 you could probably just try updating from Windows Update - through its Update Drivers wizard in Device Manager, not in Settings.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Depends on if the platform were still flexible enough to take non-ECC RAM (if not, it's all just RAM now), and if the economies of scale wouldn't pull the price closer in line to what non-ECC RAM costs.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Gwaihir posted:

Anand's sample was reportedly middling and their non-AVX OC topped out at 4.9ghz before voltage and heat got to be too much for their cooling. So like 14% ish.

Yeeeaaahhhh... :sigh:

The most I ever got out of my 2500K without stress-inducing voltages was 42. One multiplier tick over what a locked 2500 could get on this board. Then again I clearly lost the lottery on it.

Palladium posted:

Besides like the 7700K, how much OC can you realistically get for a K-chip that is already at base 4.2GHz....maybe 10%?

I would rather see a AMD branded i5-K Haswell at <$150 but I'm not holding my breath for that either.

AMD even slightly undercutting them, even with Sandy Bridge IPC and current-ish instruction sets, would light a fire under Intel's rear end - but Intel might just settle for getting burnt given the state they're in.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 3, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

A 5U case would at least have the kind of heatsink headroom people have come to expect of standard workstation/Steamstation cases worth dollars.

It would take up as prodigious amounts of desk and/or wallet space as you'd expect it to take up in its proper place in the rack, however.

Then again, I'm the kind of person that would, after everything else, probably still buy another Silverstone PS07 for a new build because there's something deeply wrong with me.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 15, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Whoever asked before, I don't know about literally tacking components to the wall, but if you're okay with just mounting the entire computer to the wall Lian-Li had a Micro-ATX that looked pretty fit for purpose.

Or you could get one of their trademark literal computer desks.

priznat posted:

That new Phanteks Elite case is friggin sweet but too bad it costs like $700 :laffo:

http://phanteks.com/Enthoo-Elite.html

Someone else can be the materials heavy enough to be part of a fitness plan.

I'm the designated mount points for an additional Mini-ITX computer with its own power supply. :whatup:

And it's not even their only case with that feature :magical:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

2500K poo poo sample. 4.1. 1333 RAM (1CT at least).

I could switch to Ryzen (2nd gen, I'd like to think I'm not an idiot), and not miss the extra 'muh frames' I never had, and not have to deal with Intel's BS anymore.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The 1700 is 329. Watch Threadripper come in at an even thousand.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BurritoJustice posted:

"12K" as is commonly marketed is an incorrect way of naming 3x4K multi-monitor (11,520x2,160), so it is actually less than "8K" as properly marketed (7,680x4,320).

But then again "4K" is actually 4096x2160 not 3840x2160, so whatever, hail satan

Why did you think inherently and incontrovertibly quantifiable phenomena would be exempt from 'lol nothing matters'?

In relevant news: Brazen intimidation over Microsoft's x86-on-ARM interpolation! Who else actually has anything vaguely resembling a commitment to x86 these days, Intel? Do you really want to tango with Microsoft over this?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

fishmech posted:

Uh, are you really dumb enough to think a smartphone-class ARM SOC running x86 emulation was going to be at all acceptable for performance?

Um.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U&t=79s

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Will Intel release X299 BIOS updates like AMD for free :pcgaming: performance gainzz????

Nope, they'll charge 89 bucks a flash for 'em.

It's almost like Intel forgot people have only been buying their products for the past 6 < x < 30 years under duress.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Custom drivers and firmware.

After making a show of the Surface line being a charge against snowflake hardware and pre-wrecked software environments, led from the front.

:ughh:

Goddamnit, Microsoft.

EDIT: Wait, how much of the snowflake drivers made it into the Microsoft Update Catalog to be spewed at first-run Windows 10 installations on things that aren't Surfaces? :ohdear:

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What I want to know is whether this is a legitimate "oops" vulnerability or something Intel put in both officially and intentionally for the NSA and GCHQ to exploit, and it's just a matter of time before such things are found by the public, or it's being revealed piecemeal from sources like Snowden's trove, etc.

Intel's not "nVidia doing the latest WDDM point release live" bad quite yet, but based on their hardware and driver track record they're really not what they used to be.