Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Remember when some people once thought that only 640K of memory was needed?
I don't remember this because it never happened

Alereon posted:

It was actually clocked at ~400fps, and that includes decoding, scaling, and encoding simultaneously.
I don't care if it's four times faster than x264 if it looks like utter poo poo.
(I can get >100FPS decoding, scaling and encoding an HD video to 480p)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you need to hit a certain file size, there's no way around two passes.
Who needs that? The only reasons I know of are 1) Encoding a file onto media with limited space, like a CD or DVD, and 2) Scene rules.

I don't need either of those. And I'm pretty sure encoding to a constant quality and limiting the max bitrate means you don't need 2-pass for device-compatible encoding, too.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

If CBR would churn out decent results, people wouldn't have invented two-pass modes.

And in regards to the Intel Media Engine, I'm pretty sure it won't hold its water to software implementations in terms of encoding quality and complexity.
CRF + limited max bitrate isn't even close to CBR.

Also CBR looks great with enough bitrate, it's just ridiculously wasteful and should only be used in broadcast/streaming.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

freeforumuser posted:

Let's face it, the only real apps left that are still primarily CPU limited are rendering and video encoding. Interestingly, both apps lend themselves well to massively parallel processing on GPUs, same for gaming physics. And now, we see Intel and AMD are pushing with CPUs with integrated GPUs. Coincidence? Me thinks no and let me proclaim the multicore era is already over and welcome our new GPU-dominant processor overlords.
Hell loving no it doesn't. GPUs are really good at embarassingly parallel things. Mathematical computations that can be done in 1000+ threads at once is a good example; GPUs will slaughter CPUs at that.

Video encoding, if you're looking for good quality, cannot have very many threads. Frames reference each other in H.264. If you're encoding hundreds of frames at once, they obviously can't effectively do that; you'll have to use another method of threading, like slicing frames into slices and encoding each frame with multiple threads. Sliced threading is inherently lower quality.

On the whole, CPUs are better for video encoding. There are certain things that GPUs can do better than CPUs in video encoding. There's been some study into stuff that they can do, such as motion estimation (see the qual. task too). Note that it is listed as very difficult and needing a large amount of work. There's also probably been lots of papers, but papers are just theory, and are very often not practical.

Thanks a lot for making me sperg :mad:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

All proper 24p content is actually 23.976fps.
Nope. 24FPS video is actually a Thing. I've seen a few Blurays with actual 24.000FPS content.
24p refers to both 23.976 and 24.000. (eac3to will state that 24.000FPS is "unusual", though)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Alereon posted:

Also, I'm not sure, but I think they may have fixed the AA messing with text by putting in application profiles that disables AA for apps like web browsers.
It messes with text in games.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Is it worth upgrading off an i7-2600k yet? I'm occasionally CPU-limited in Planetside 2 and do some video encoding, but I haven't been able to tell what the performance improvements are for that of the current gen vs mine.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Would the rumored i7-6850k (6 cores @ 3.6GHz) work well in gaming vs an i7-2600k @ 4.0GHz?
I do some video encoding where the older CPU hurts me but I don't want to upgrade my CPU/mobo/RAM only to lose a bunch of frames in games.

vvv: thanks, I think I'll plan an upgrade to Broadwell-E then

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 17, 2015

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117403
Haswell-E i7-5930K for $460. ($125 off)
I can't decide between going for this now or waiting until Broadwell-E.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

ASRock have released BIOS updates for most (all?) of their Z-series motherboards allowing Skylake BCLK overclocking. Given the big "NON-Z" at the top I'm guessing budget mobos will be joining in on the fun soon. Personally, I'm looking at that 4.3GHz 6400 and salivating a little.
why did they take screenshots of cpu-z, save them as jpeg, and then upscale them

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Lord Windy posted:

How do you guys use so much RAM? I have 16 and through normal use have never used more than 8
Keeping both Firefox and Chome open with lots of tabs (Chrome is currently using ~4.5GB), leaving other stuff open like IDEA. For a while uTorrent would cause 3-5GB of RAM usage somehow. I've got 18GB used right now total.

I just don't like closing things I'm going to reopen a minute/a day later. And games are already hitting 6.5+GB of RAM usage, so 16GB is shrinking fast.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

I upgraded from a 2600k to a 5820k (@4.2GHz) and got ~2x the performance in x264. Worth it.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

My current laptop is running with some hosed up combination that added up to 24GB (too lazy to disassemble to remove the old) and I never noticed a speed decrease, FWIW.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

You can't play Fallout 4 at 144FPS anyway, physics and FPS are linked.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Nam Taf posted:

:psyduck: How does that decision get made and be considered a remotely acceptable solution?
It's been in their engine since at least Skyrim and probably Oblivion.
It doesn't affect consoles, most people on PC are at 60FPS, and it's not a directly linear increase. So 30->60 is almost unchanged physics speed, majority of players have no issue.
It probably requires a major engine rewrite to fix.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

blowfish posted:

Is it even possible to see a difference between say 60 Hz and 144 Hz?
Very much so, yes. Stable 144FPS feels much smoother than 60FPS. Useful in fast FPS games.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

eggyolk posted:

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.
My workstation PC has a 5820K in it with a 240mm AIO liquid cooler. I built it myself and it runs great for Solidworks stuff. During rendering it clocks 4.4 at 50C.
Problem is that I've been trying to get it to run at 3.6GHz default because some programs don't trigger the turbo boost and it runs slow as poo poo. After adjusting the bios to a higher minimum clock, it seems to switch between 1.2Ghz and 3.6 at a very high frequency according to Intel Power Gadget. Is this safe for the CPU? It switches frequencies several times per second and I'm worried it's damaging things. How do I get it to run at a constant bottom end speed?
I don't know why you're changing BIOS settings when minimum CPU speed is an option you can change in Windows. Look in Power Options advanced settings, Processor Power Management

Also if your CPU isn't clocking up under load that sounds like you have something set up wrong, my 5820k clocks up at the slightest hint of load

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

My 5820k has gone from stable at 4.3GHz@1.3V to DPC_WATCHDOG BSODs about once per night (near-zero load) at 4.1GHz. Did I melt it or something?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you are not putting load on the CPU when it crashes I don't see the OC or voltage being the problem here.
Motherboard complained "overclocking failed" during startup after a recent BSOD. Updated BIOS and it lasted a whole two days

Broadwell-E please get here faster so I can hopefully get a new processor cheaper

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Can someone explain to me what this Turbo Boost Extreme 3.0 tech might be compared to the normal turbo max frequency shown in the slide here?

And man those prices are getting stupid. I really do hope that Zen can do something, anything, to Intel's dominance as they are just getting stupid greedy now. Even at a 50% discount it is still freaking expensive for the top two chips. (the only ones I would get if I did a new build from my still spunky 3930K...)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10337/the-intel-broadwell-e-review-core-i7-6950x-6900k-6850k-and-6800k-tested-up-to-10-cores/2

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

sincx posted:

Looks like I might have to keep using this 2600K until it dies. :(
move to a 5820k

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

DrDork posted:

You "I don't like wide-aspect ratio monitors because I code" people can just turn that frown upside down by turning the monitor into portrait and getting fucktons of vertical space. And when you're not doing Srs Business work, you can watch movies all pretty like. It's fine!
or you could just set line width to 180 chars

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I was hoping for 5% but I guess I'll take 3%. If Intel can get it to OC close to 5 GHz (17% improvement over Broadwell-E's 4.3 GHz) then that would put it ~19% ahead of BW-E in total, which puts it 24-29% ahead of Ryzen in single-thread performance. Which is really close to the magic "6-core Intel matches 8-core AMD" target that would mean price-to-performance parity between the two.

(Side note but lately I've been feeling that Cinebench is an increasingly irrelevant benchmark. It seems to bear no resemblance to real x264/x265/Premiere/Blender anymore - the 1800X blows out the 6900K in the synthetic Cinebench but the 6900K wins all the real-world benchmarks. Maybe it's OK for comparing within an architectural family (eg Broadwell vs Skylake) but I don't think it's the least bit useful anymore for comparing (say) Ryzen and Broadwell.)
The TechArp x264 benchmark isn't a real world benchmark, though. It uses an x264 version from 2012. If I manually update x264 my 5820k gets 50% faster in the first pass and ~15% in second (very brief test). Who knows what it does to Ryzen

e: Also I don't know why they even bother with TechArp's x264 benchmark when they're already testing using HandBrake (where Ryzen wins)

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 6, 2017

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Wish those placeholders had feature lists so I could know what the gently caress the top end is adding to be worth $600

edit: wifi, tb3, u.2, and a built in screen

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 12, 2017

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

If the 7900X is so much further ahead in performance in Handbrake, which seems to be limited in scaling to six cores via x264 (forgot which thread said this), and the power draw is that huge, I suppose it's AVX at play here, and rather well performance-wise?
I'd assume it's AVX-512, yeah. Also x264 thread scaling depends on how tall the video you're encoding is. 10 cores should be fine for 1080p.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm guessing that current x264 builds do not, but guess what was just checked into nightly a few weeks ago:

Intel has provided hardware (remote access?) to x264 devs going back years so it gets optimized for new instruction sets fast.

(also, people generally just run latest x264 - no such thing as a non-stable build of it anymore really, at least not on x86)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

DrDork posted:

Liquid cooled is better than intel's stock air cooler :bignews:?
I really doubt Intel's stock cooler is what they're using as the air cooling. No way it's getting that close to a dual fan 240mm AIO

(Does Skylake-X even have a stock cooler? Pretty sure my Haswell-E didn't)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Delidding is scary since it's very obvious you've done it and it voids the warranty

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

only fools use water cooling, intellectuals (me) use the more convenient noctua nh-d15s

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Microcenter is starting to clearance 2011-3 hard. Just got an ad showing $300 for a 6850K or two for $500 (my local store is sold out)
According to /r/buildapcsales you can use that Microcenter deal to get a 6850k for $262 from Staples

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What do they think that second fan is really going to be doing for them?
the D15S actually only comes with one fan, second fan drops by like 1-2C. I run mine with two because it ends up being silent like 99% of the time

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Hey, here's a question, if I change CPUs do I need to reinstall windows? What if I change motherboards to (say, to a Z270)?

Question pertains both to weird driver issues, and also Windows activation.
You'll probably need to reactivate but I think it should work without a reinstall

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Khorne posted:

Why are people so hyped about ryzen/threadripper? It seems competitive on paper, but if you look at benchmarks it has 7%-10% worse single core performance than a 6 year old intel architecture. Which is mostly what matters on the desktop. It's nowhere near competitive with the Kaby Lake X processor.

source your press releases

edit: your addition about "competitive price" is the point, AMD's CPUs here are slightly worse on performance but price also matters and they are absolutely competitive/winning on performance for the price

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

i'm dumb

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/63508/Denverton

Dang it goes from 2 all the way to 16

Is it just me, or is it wierd how the higher core number processors have higher clocks? :thunk:

That's a weird bin
almost totally unrelated, why does Intel refer to all their processors as "Products formerly X"?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What I want to know is whether this is a legitimate "oops" vulnerability or something Intel put in both officially and intentionally for the NSA and GCHQ to exploit, and it's just a matter of time before such things are found by the public, or it's being revealed piecemeal from sources like Snowden's trove, etc.
If Intel is cooperating with the NSA/GCHQ like that they wouldn't need this backdoor, they could just sign code.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12355/supermicro-at-ces-2018-x299-motherboards-for-upcoming-300w-cpus

quote:

Staying on the CPU for a second: the reason it is called the ‘PG300’ is because this motherboard is geared up to accept CPUs with up to 300W TDP. This comes across as somewhat odd – the X299 platform only has CPUs up to 165W listed. Even with turbo modes applied and all cores going, somewhere around 240-250W is ‘normal’, which would mean that the system is being geared for something bigger.

Now at this point, I should point out that the Z370 motherboard on display said ‘support’ up to 120W TDP, which might draw the same conclusion, although the CPUs that the Z370 supports have been observed at 120W in regular use with motherboard turbo modes. Also, there was a Xeon W motherboard on display, stating support for CPUs up to 165W TDP, which is what I would have expected. So with this C9X299-PG300, listing 300W TDP support, it can mean one of two things.

1. It is geared for extreme overclocking. To which Supermicro has no serious heritage.
2. There are CPUs still to be released that might flirt with the 300W TDP.

Obviously trying to confirm this on the record is somewhat of a fruitless task. Supermicro couldn’t answer any questions (not even as a negative), and Intel does not comment on rumor/future product.
looking forward to intel's new 300W CPUs

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

craig588 posted:

New bios for Asus X99 motherboards released a couple weeks ago. For mine it's listed as version 3902, but it's also listed as a beta version for all of them so I'm not going to jump in. From other peoples testing it does have the Spectre/Meltdown fix in firmware now.
Figures that a week after I use the manual BIOS patching method they'd release a new patch for my mobo. I didn't even keep checking, figured Asus had just given up

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

What's the context of this
probably posting embargoed slides or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Would you be happy with 2x7700K performance at 2x7700K TDP? Somewhere around 140W, TDP does start to be a real problem. There's a reason server cooling is so obnoxiously loud.
140W TDP isn't a problem if you have a cooler of the right size