Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Krailor posted:

Intel's primary customer base (datacenters buying Xeons by the thousands) have indicated that they're much more interested in performance-per-watt rather than just raw performance. So that's where Intel has been focusing their research over the past several years and they've made huge gains in that department.

I've physically placed ~3000 e5 2680v3's in boards in the past 5 months. Can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Gravitas, how many K-corners were you running and what hardware setup? I'm personally curious because I work for an integrator and I want to see hard numbers against, say, K80s, given a modicum of optimization. For reference, I have CUDA benchmark numbers for 4 K80s with dual e5-26xx's on our hardware configuration.

I know the whole point of K-landing is you shouldn't need to optimize, I just want to know where the sweet spot is for that optimization, especially versus CUDA.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
2695 is the good stuff this cycle. It crushes the 2680 in Multimedia and bests it by about 10% in Arithmetic.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Kazinsal posted:

NATEX usually has a couple in stock. They're used, tested, and in working condition with a 60 day warranty. They're basically a wholesale previous-previous-generation electronics recycling/reseller.

I cannot find this place online. Link?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

mmkay posted:

Something I've been wondering for a while - how many Intel employees are on SA?

I don't work for Intel but I'm in the high end server business and I'm under NDA for everything Xeon. So, close?

Related: needed to replace my workstation at work so I retired my 2500k based z97 to that duty and bought a 6700k/z170 with Samsung M.2 in anticipation of GTX1080.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
We're having some, uh, interesting stability issues with Broadwell-EP on boards that worked just fine on Haswell. AMI and Intel are stumped.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Aquila posted:

Uh Oh, and Dell just "upgraded" our most recent order to v4 xeons for "free".

Essentially a BIOS issue with two faces. If we use the Broadwell BIOS and put a Haswell in, CPU1 doesn't show up if its a "-L." Sorta similarly, non-engineering sample 2680v4's (our primary go-to) don't show up in the BIOS at all, whereas all other v4s work fine. Mind you, the engineering sample 2680v4's work fine in the same serialized board. :frogsiren:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

seems like they pushed a testing bios to production because there can't possibly be any other reason why Haswell isn't recognized

Right but why would there only be issues with the 2680? All non -L Haswells and non-2680 Broadwells work fine.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Twerk from Home posted:

4+ year old servers are not worth the electricity they take to run, so there's a lot of refurbishers selling machines even with warranties and support for very cheap.

My favorite vendor for that kind of thing is http://www.savemyserver.com/ , you can get Dell PowerEdges with 24 threads and 144GB of RAM and the management tools for ~$800 ready to go with a 2 year warranty. If you're willing to go without support or just ebay the parts yourself it can get even cheaper.

Edit: This vendor has free shipping too :grin:

...oh...oh my god. I'm about to waste some perfectly good money.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Does anyone else have hard data on the performance differences between 970(Superclocked) to 1080GTX on a 6700k. I don't have to upgrade immediately as DOOM is my most intense game right now and I only have a 1080 monitor, but I did build this skylake machine as soon as I got wind of the 1080, in preparation for VR.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

PerrineClostermann posted:

Do you think it'd be fine for me to reuse my Corsair H50 as the cooler? Or should I get something new? I've had it since this computer was built in 2011.
Age is certainly a detriment, there. I will say that my load temp on a H110 with my 6700k at stock is like 35*C max, so water is still worth it, but you might wanna consider upgrading to ensure you don't have issues, while you're in there.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Potato Salad posted:

Rare metals often sourced from locations with endless war, monstrously toxic chemicals with expensive storage and disposal, delicate multi-million-dollar fabrication gas chambers or etchers or whatever else in rows upon rows upon rows...

If you ever get a chance to tour a fabrication facility's floor, take it.

I interned at a plant that built steering racks in highschool. The hermetically sealed cell that built stuff for the (then-super secret, hadn't-been-revealed-yet) Camaro was awesome. I can only imagine the PPE requirements to work in a fab.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

PBCrunch posted:

Can I expect something like this to work?

We had this conversation a few pages ago but that is a "ES" i.e., engineering sample, and board compatibility can be wonky.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

wipeout posted:

This is how I felt about it; so I just bought a 6600k. Maybe by the time gains (hopefully) start to show, it'll be kaby lake time.

Point made about streaming etc.

LOL. I can't say more than that, sorry.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

PBCrunch posted:

The "E5-2650v3" I got from ebay seems to work just fine in my Gigabyte X99-UD3P motherboard. The clock speed is down 100 MHz compared to a real 2650v3, and the max turbo frequency is down 200 MHz, but it is still pretty amazing when allowed to perform multi-threaded work. I saw something like 1200% in top when transcoding videos in Handbrake. Even with only two channels of memory, the chip transcodes in less than half the time compared with ye olde X3450 (i5-750 with Hyperthreading).

The platform has all kinds of neat stuff like lots of native USB 3.0 ports, ten SATA ports, four full-length PCIe slots, and an M.2 slot.

Absolutely, the binning isn't complete until after ES time. Gigabyte and ASRock boards tend to be the best about handling ES for whatever reason. Intel boards don't like them generally because they change the BIOS to be picky after RTM.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Aquila posted:

Two mysterious kernel panics with our new v4 Xeons (E5-2640 v4) in just a month so far, a little bit worrisome. First one was extra special:

code:
$ uptime
19:37:36 up 8 days,  6:43,  1 user,  load average: 4294362016.47, 4206909163.29, 3689414057.19
Yes I was able to SSH in. Unfortunately the forced reboot I sent didn't take and only stopped the hdfs-datanode and ssh, not the yarn-nodemanager, so I had to have it power cycled by remote hands. Lots of "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#34 stuck for 22s!" in the logs. Second one was just down hard with a scheduler kernel panic on the console.

I mention all this just because I recall someone in this thread complaining about problems with v4 xeons, but haven't seen too many complaints googling around the internet at large. Overall of course these new chips are awesome and are giving us 20 cores per hadoop node for the cost and power of 12 not too long ago. Maybe less power :getin:

That'd be me, but that was an issue with the board not detecting CPU0 in a DP arrangement that worked flawlessly with Haswells, the Broadwells are still giving us headaches.. I would not be surprised if little bugs like this continue going forward, Intel is getting sloppy because they know they need to perpetuate the idea of Moore's law and its very obvious they're running out of ideas, fast.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm not sure what to take from this:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/high-end-skylake-processors-to-get-yet-another-socket.html

I can't figure if that first diagram means the Skylake-X processor will control "up to" 44 PCIe 3.0 lanes on its own total, or if the PCH 'southbridge' it seems to be connected to will control an additional 24 PCIe lanes for things like NVMe drives. If so, I think I've found my upgrade point. Hopefully they make an eight-core Sky-X.

Yes, DP Skylake :hitler: lanes

e: Coffee Lake looks to be another 14nm design (tock #4?)
also yes, it was also a surprise (lol)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Yeah they must really be having yield issues with that L4 cache...

Of course, the most compelling upgrade reason in 3 years and they kill it off. :rolleyes:

japtor posted:

Skylake-X sounds like the usual Xeon EP derived part, so it could be on the CPU...then again there was that big rear end LGA3647 socket shown a while back. It shows Broadwell-E there as "40/28 lanes", how are those laid out, or does it just vary by model/core count?

All E5-26XX v4 have 40 lanes/proc, just like Haswell (v3) if that answers your question.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 21, 2016

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I'm going to end up riding my 2500K into the ground, aren't I.

I mean, I thought that, then I got a big boy job, got bored and went to MicroCenter over lunch on a slow Friday and had one of our techs sleeve my psu cables and watercooling hoses and assembled it. x4 M.2 NVMe and USB 3.1 are nice, I guess?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Eletriarnation posted:

My totally based on nothing guess of what all that means (assuming it's not just made up) is that the -X naming does not designate Extreme Edition, it's just their new term for the HEDT package replacing 2011-3. Kaby Lake-X is going to be a 4-core part because they're not actually making a full server line for Kaby Lake.
Yeah this is definitely not in line what what I've seen.

Although at this rate who knows what will actually drop in the next 6 months let alone 18. Its loving chaos in the midrange server market right now.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, it's a total guess and I have no inside information to that part of the industry so anyone who does could well be shaking their head.
Trust me, we in the embedded market all are. Plus my company isn't big enough to have any sway with them, we just have to go with the flow.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Potato Salad posted:

Particularly with Pascal out, this is solid advice.

I've been doing some benchmarking with 4 TitanX's on one of our dual E5-2680v4 rigs for a customer and...

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Combat Pretzel posted:

I thought the -E series was now -X? Your wish will be granted.

Definitely not. -E will remain big-socket workstation ala Skylake-S for the little sockets.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Paul MaudDib posted:

He's right, they renamed Skylake-E to Skylake-X.

I assumed the -X was going to be the new "extreme edition" enthusiast chip and that they'd keep a -E "workstation" chip that's pretty much the same thing except with ECC and brand it a Xeon. Guess not, but from reviewing my non-confidential sources, it looks like Kaby-E is still on the table? gently caress's sake, Intel.

These days I keep my head buried in -EP stuff as not to get confused.

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

4.5GHz boost clock is impressive, but aren't all Kaby Lake processors going to be limited to 24 PCI-E lanes, or is that just on the lower power packages? (or outdated reporting)

Am I the only one sitting over here with a 2600k (~4.6Ghz, H80 cooler) wondering when I'm going to see something actually worth upgrading for? I built this machine in DEC 2011 for fucks sake.

Who / what can I blame for this?

No? But you'll have to step up to socket3647(?) for more than 24PCIe. Also, blame your fiscally prudent self, I built my 2500k machine in mid '11 and finally got bored this summer and went skylake.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 25, 2016

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Isn't socket3647 intended for their server garbage?

If by that you mean "everything that's faster/more cores/more lanes than Skylake-S," sure?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Combat Pretzel posted:

Who cares about the socket? That changes way too often.

Haha. Like half of this thread self-reports still being on 1150 i5-2500/2600k's. But yeah 5+ years isn't long enough for a socket.

e: for content, finally grabbed a 1070 and bothered to overclock my 6700k for the first time last night. With literally no tweaking other than hitting the option that says, "hey, motherboard, don't throttle the bastard when it's idle, and give it whatever juice you think necessary for it to hit 4.6GHz, thanks" I hit 77th percentile on Fire Strike 3d mark.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 28, 2016

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Otakufag posted:

1- For those of you who have upgraded from a 2500k to a new skylake: can you feel noticeable differences when playing recent games or doing other windows stuff?
2- Should I buy a i5 6600k or a i7 6700? Both end up costing the same as the i5 requires a more expensive mobo+cooling. This is mainly for gaming btw.
3- Maybe I should wait for something better around the corner? Is kaby lake worth waiting for or something else like zen? gently caress

1. I upgraded when I got back into gaming and about the most strenuous thing I do is battlefront at 1080, natch, so not a lot to comment on, there.
2. i767k. 5GHz is effortless even on decent quality air. :getin:
3. I know the argument is always that something better is right around the corner so if you're on the fence, go for it, but Kaby should be hitting general availability around christmas time. Personally, I'd wait now that you're this deep into SkyL's cycle. Obviously, your 25k isn't really harming you at this rate, just hang onto it and see what happens next quarter, you might even be able to grab a bangin' deal on a SkyL when Kaby comes out.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

HalloKitty posted:

I'm pretty sure that a consequence of them being more cautious with Xeons, so they do the desktop runs of the new chips first, to make sure all the bugs are ironed out, before going big.

JFC. That's what I get for believing my Intel rep on availability. We're expecting engineering samples in Q4 though.

HalloKitty posted:

I'm pretty sure that a consequence of them being more cautious with Xeons, so they do the desktop runs of the new chips first, to make sure all the bugs are ironed out, before going big.

This is absolutely the case. Remember, Intel may be making some coin and clout with enthusiasts these days by virtue of not being utter poo poo compared to AMD, but they know where their bread and butter is--the datacenter. Though, if they don't get off their asses and do something new, soon, there are a couple of players who would love to dethrone them, there (ARM)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I've got a couple of DP socket 2011 supermicros lying around if someone wants to throw me a few bones for them.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

priznat posted:

Got an Intel SDK in with LGA 3647 processors :stare:

They are humongous. I'm so used to 2011s I was totally confused when I took the heatsinks off at first..

Yeah its' something else, ain't it? I can't imagine standards like PICMG 1.3 are going to be able to embark them without some creative daugherboards or something.

Paul MaudDib posted:

What were you looking for for these?
When I get home I'll double check the model numbers, I have no idea what they look like price wise on the street, obviously I'll throw in a goon discount.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

LiquidRain posted:

On that subject would it be worth it to run an NVMe SSD on a Z97 board on the south bridge PCIe lanes? (PCIe 2.0)

I hate the layout of my Gryphon Z97 board, stupid mATX board with 4 slots supports SLI and has no m.2 slot, and as a result I can either choose to halve my 1070's bandwidth with the 2nd x16 slot or pretend it doesn't exist and use only 1 of the slots. I wanted a PCIe sound card. :saddowns:

gently caress's sake. No. Not unless you're planning on buying a drive tomorrow and upgrading to a sky/kaby in under 6 months but even then, info on the Samsung 960 is already trickling out.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
My customers in the embedded segment are super stoked about the triple 4k outputs provided by the proc on Sky/Kaby without having to add a dedicated GPU FWIW.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Potato Salad posted:

But will any mobo manufacturer put three hdmi/dp outputs on their poo poo?

We do 1 DP external and 2 DVI-D on the board itself. My Asrock z77 extreme4 had HDMI, VGA and DVI.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Paul MaudDib posted:

DVI-D pretty much needs to die out like VGA did at this point, since again, you can adapt either HDMI or DVI to DVI. I get hypothetically wanting to have HDMI on there since it's the standard connector for consumer equipment but a HDMI<->DVI adapter is like two bucks.

I don't disagree, but we had to do it that way due to compatibility restrictions. We have a chassis with a built-in monitor on the faceplate that has to have DVI, also, I'd be scared of surface mounting a DP connector on the board, its too tall, not enough support.

e: you couldn't believe the hell we've gotten for not having VGA on this Skylake-S board. The very reason we never went to HDMI was that it didn't have a collar/lock on the connector. DP did, so we bit the bullet. PLUS, iirc, there's no way to pull an analog/vga signal out of the HD/P530 graphics on Skylake-S without an offboard BMC or graphics controller, which there was absolutely no room for on the already slam-full PICMG 1.3 board.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 4, 2016

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

blowfish posted:

any old and completely outmoded interconnectVGA and DVI should be actively eradicated, unless you're Dell or Lenovo and making PCs that work in lovely corporations with 15 year old projectors or something.
Doesn't work that way in the military and embedded market, bub.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

canyoneer posted:

:agreed:

There are customers still buying ancient Pentium 3 era processors to put in stuff like a gerzillion dollar scanning electron microscope, ultraspecialized custom equipment or fleets of slot machines because it's still way cheaper to buy the obsolete junk at a premium than to upgrade.

It's funny to hear about what still gets made and sold.

We'll still build Williamette P4 boards for someone that wants to order a min. quantity. Everything else we had to EOL because we just can't get some of the IC's necessary to build 'em.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Picked this bad boy out of the trash at work today. AFIK, world's only dual socket 1366, x16, x8, x8, triple channel ECC DDR3 microATX mobo, complete with EC5549s and 24GB of RAM.

Riser card is not our design, but was also in a "to recycle" chassis. This son' bitch gets HOT in a 2u even with the 3, 102CFM chassis fans screaming.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

SlayVus posted:

Your best bet would probably be to pick up some aftermarket coolers. I think Noctua makes server sinks that would fit that socket design. Those dinky OEM sinks are just really not enough.

Agreed, the stock sinks are loud as all gently caress. Our new OEM supplier on our fully in-house form factor is dynatron, they have a socket2011 low-profile blower that works really well, I need to see if our rep can ship me some 1366 "samples" mwuhahaha.

edit of the edit: eh, this info is too fresh to be that specific about, Intel prob wouldn't like it

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 13, 2016

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Rexxed posted:

I recently put a couple of Hyper 212 EVO coolers on a dual socket 1366 board. The support on the back of the motherboard was permanently affixed (at least the LGA retention bracket was also secured to it so it'd have been really hard to remove and replace both) so I used some M3 10mm standoffs instead of the hyper 212's stock standoffs to get them mounted. The 212 is big but I moved the motherboard from a 1U rackmount case to an ATX case so it worked for my situation.

Good to know, that's the same way the retainers are on mine as well. I'll have to stick with a blower style cooler, though, this board is staying in that 2U because of the 8, 3.5" hot-swaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

priznat posted:

We have one of the Skylake/Purley Intel SDKs at work and got sent the upgrade to Beta CPUs and when I swapped them out I was like what the fuuuuuck because the chips were so huge under the heatsinks. Also the heatsinks snap right on to the CPU and you have to carefully pry them off which is ridiculous.

I thought I had snapped a pic of them but apparently not. They're almost the size of a playing card. Serve the home has a good writeup with pics: https://www.servethehome.com/big-sockets-look-intel-lga-3647/

You're breaking nda, friend, just fyi.