Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Durinia posted:

The -E chips generally come out in the same timeframe as the Xeons with that core. Broadwell Xeons aren't quite here yet (supposedly this quarter). If you're waiting for Skylake-E, it's probably going to be 2017.
The v4 line of Xeons are Broadwell and have been out since June. They're the LGA1150 variety though. I think specifically you mean the E5 Xeons, in which the E5 v4 release is looking imminent.

I think it may not be as good of an indicator in the past, because I'm suspecting that the new E5's aren't going to be compatible with the HEDT X series chipsets and will only work with the workstation/server C series, just like the E3 v4's and v5's being incompatible with the Z and Q chipsets despite using the same sockets. So there's a chance that EX and EP CPU's won't be so functionally identical like before and the releases may not line up so neatly.

Which is probably doing me a favor, because it'll break my habit of buying the Xeon version for $25 more in the hopes that it's a more reliable bin despite that deep in my heart I really know there's no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

Is there any chance that Xeon E5-v4 will be compatible with LGA 2011-v3 or will we be forced onto LGA-2011v4 motherboards? On the desktop broadwell and haswell shared a socket. I do have a C612 motherboard so a potential upgrade to broadwell-e would be nice (although i am fine with Haswell-E).
Extremely good chance, I haven't heard of a new socket in the pipeline. What I was getting at earlier was speculation that Intel may pull a Dick Move and make them incompatible with x99 and only work with C612. Since you've got a C612, you're set either way.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
If an i5 4690k isn't enough for you, go with the 6700k. The higher clockspeed and IPC performance improvements from Skylake will make it push more frames than the 5820k unless you overclock it heavily. And I don't think the 6600k would be enough of an upgrade to be worth your time. Personally, I think you may need to go SLI if possible to get the performance you want. I don't think your current CPU should bottleneck you that significantly. The GTX 980Ti is an amazing card, but trying to hit a constant 144Hz+ with all the settings cranked up may be a tall order for it.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I was curious, so it looked it up. My quad core Haswell Xeon has actually appreciated in value. :staredog:

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I like to think it's a reference to Honda K series engines that were popular in riced-out Civics.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Otakufag posted:

Only for gaming at 1080p 144 refresh and pair with a 1070, should I get a 8400, 2600x or a 8700-non k? I'm afraid the 8400 will bottleneck the next round of Nvidia cards if I decide to upgrade the gpu in a year, also afraid Zen 2 will arrive late / not live up to the hype for a later cpu upgrade, and finally afraid Intel will announce hyperthreading to the I5 lineup making the I7 unnecessary for gaming.
I doubt we'll see HT in i5's any time soon. It's really the only thing that differentiates i5's and i7's. It's only used in Pentium's and i3's to make their dual core SKU's acceptable.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

HT as an i7 thing is a heinous profit center for Intel that AMD is pointedly aiming sharp sticks at. They can continue to get away with it if they price i5 aggressively enough and i7 continues to have significant gaming performance gap with AMD's flagship, but at some point they're going to have to transition to "i7 has more cores".
I think they'd just slide the price of i7's downward a little bit before thinking about it. I don't think it's impossible but it's all dependent on how much distance from AMD they've got, if any, after seeing how each of them comes away with their respective transitions to 7nm, which isn't in the terribly far future, but still a ways off.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Just further proof that Intel’s been out of gas since Sandy Bridge, just like AMD with excavator. Time to call up Jim.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Jot this little nugget down, wall street: It's obviously Itanium 3.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Seems like the hold up for those 9900k's is likely a shortage of dodecahedron packaging.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

In contrast, an Intel Xeon E3-1230 (basically a 2600 that supports ECC) hardly goes for much and LGA 1150 C20x motherboards are pretty much a dime a dozen. Nobody could have predicted how strong the Sandy Bridge series was going to be besides maybe the folks at Intel and AMD. I'm sending my beloved E3-1230 to recycling after it's faithfully served for nearly a decade - it's literally the longest-going computer I ever had now. I just need to downsize is the only reason and a NUC makes more sense to me now than any form of larger PC (including even a mini ITX machine).
I got a C226 motherboard for like $40 to replace a busted Z97 that were going for over twice that. I'm still using a E3-1276v3 and it's got a good high clock speed, so I think I can get another year out of it. Enough time for a Zen 2 Threadripper to be easily available, which is perfect.

I want to see what Intel's answer to it would be as well, but I'm not very hopeful at the moment. :(

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Also not giving an actual time frame for 7nm is a complete tease.
If all indications that 2020 is a very optimistic time-frame at this moment in time are true, how could you possibly blame them? The fact that it looks completely pathetic to the technically inclined is less of a factor than it is to investors. They won't know the difference whether the Core i9 12990K has a Moon Lake 10nm++++ in the box or a Sapphire Rapids 7nm EUV. They just see a new $599 SKU out in time for back to school either way. No need to make even a soft timeline and get knocked for it later by analysts if they stumble on it here and there until an actual release.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Newegg was good before Amazon was so dominant. They’re running on inertia right now.

They even get dunked on by Microcenter, a physical store in 2018. Think about that for a minute.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I still love Newegg for that $200 6800 Ultra I got open box. It had a water block on it, so someone had to have ordered it by mistake and didn’t realize you could just slap a fan on it.

Their close out deals suck now. The prices need to be pretty insane for me to take that kind of risk.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

I looked up old reviews of that card to see what the original retail price was ($400 apparently, though at least one watercooled model was $600) and this comment on Anadtech's review made me laugh:

:allears: Oh you sweet summer child. Note that Nvidia recommended a 480 watt PSU.
It was in fact the $600 BFG watercooled model.

It also had a requirement listed on the box for a 680 watt PSU. Worked fine on my 500W Antec. But I wouldn’t trust a Sparkle or COOLMAX at that rating.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

craig588 posted:

Sparkle used to be a good brand, are they no longer? Are only certain models good? I used to have 2 of them that lasted for about 10 years that I only got rid of because they were so old they were still biased to supplying most of their power on the 5V rail and not the 12V as in modern designs.
My bad, you seem to be right. Pretend I said Diablotek instead. My mental shortlist on poo poo power supplies is definitely inaccurate.

I had a bundled 400W Diablotek that couldn't get a Celeron E1200 with onboard graphics to even get through the initial Windows installation on a bottom of the dumpster budget build back in the day. I think that CPU was a 60 watt chip, lol. That fucker did OC to 3GHz when it had proper power though. A $30 Wolfdale CPU that performed like the $200 model. Intel won't let that kind of poo poo fly these days!

e: on the topic of old Intel crap, it amused me to no end that a $50 Netburst Pentium D 805 I got for my wife went toe to toe with my expensive 1.8GHz Opteron, I only had to OC it to over twice its clock rate at 4GHz to accomplish that. Rest in piss, Netburst!

Laslow fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 12, 2018

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I take it as their implementation of 10nm is turning out to be an abject failure, and if they wait for it to add other new features, they'll get cyberbullied enough by nerds for rehashing Skylake in 2020 that finance guys and corporate IT purchasers will take notice.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
A 4790 will be faster in newer stuff that requires more than 4 threads. At 4GHz, it'll probably be on par with old Sandy's performance at 4.4, since Devil's Canyon has about 10% more IPC.

If you can find a Q, H, or C series for under fifty bucks, go for it. You don't need a Z series since it's got a locked multi, and you can use the same RAM. So fifty bucks would be all you'd pay and that's that.

You can get some C series workstation boards for next to nothing if you can splice your own ATX and CPU HSF wire adapters, since they'd use weird proprietary Dell/Lenovo/HP plugs, because those companies are dicks like that.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-48DY8...61PI:rk:20:pf:0

Get one of these for thirty bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Inch-24...0MB7:rk:10:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pin-to-4P...b4f90:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optip...kcPj:rk:30:pf:0

And then these adapters for 15 total.

It has ATX holes for mounting in a case. And you may need to gently caress around with jury rigging the power button to look okay, but for $45, who cares?

e: I just want to go ahead and admit I did exactly this when my Z97 board died a few months ago, and it works flawlessly, apart from the FRONT I/O PANEL MISSING message on bootup. gently caress paying those used market prices on Z and H series boards, I refused to pay more than fifty bucks for a dead platform and you shouldn't either. My CPU has a locked multi anyway, gently caress it.

Laslow fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 21, 2018

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

Guess they didn't sell those in Australia
:(

drat, prices down there are depressing.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
It’s not easy getting the most value out of the product slate you’ve got for your shareholders without blatantly screwing your customers.

Their affordable consumer options still give people absurd amounts of computing power. Even hex core i5’s are pretty excellent for pretty much any task for mainstream users.

Who is really getting screwed by the SMT premium? Maybe a couple IT purchasers who’s bonus metrics are looking a little dicey this quarter.

If you’re a HEDT enthusiast and you’re complaining, then you really picked the wrong hobby. Or you know, there’s another company that’s selling competitive CPU’s without such a big premium on both SMT and core count. For the first time in a good long while, in fact.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Q_res posted:

Slot 2 was what Pentium II Xeon used.
I had a slotket adapter for that! It was the beginning of my experience with weird Chinese hardware that shouldn’t work by any logic, but does anyway.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
For plain old GigE, the Intel i2xx series is still being produced and pops up here and there on some motherboards.

You could always slap an old x540-t2 in there for 10gigE and be set for the next decade if recent onboard stuff is really as bad as it sounds. They’re (relatively)cheap, and I’ve never had an issue with them, despite my concerns due to the suspiciously low prices that pop up on eBay. Although I just use mine to connect to my internet router, and use the second port to crossover to my wife’s PC directly since I don’t think my router even support 10 GigE. She sends over a ton of backup data to the big hard drive in my computer while also using ICS without any complaints for years now.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Do nvme drives get close to saturating PCIE 3.0 16x? I guess multiple drives is where you want all the lanes you can get.

I got a 1050 ti on 3.0 4x connection that doesn’t take any performance hit at all. I’m sure high end stuff would feel the squeeze though. Either way, PCI-E 4.0 is mostly important for storage, right?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Thanks for going over that for me. I was just wondering why people were making a big deal about PCIE 4.0 on other boards.

I will look in to a ridiculous RAID0 nvme setup when I upgrade to a Zen 2 Threadripper or whatever Intel’s got if they finally play ball on price in the workstation segment, if only for the novelty of BIG HUEG NUMBERS on CrystalDiskMark since it should be cheap enough now that SSD prices are hitting bedrock.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
One they have 20% better IPC than Haswell I’m jumping ship.

Unless I can be 100% certain Intel’s new offerings are safe, but I think their chips might be hosed up fundamentally. They’re always cagey when asked if their newer chips will be fixed completely.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I believe it was the clam-shell gens. GX150 up to maybe the GX600 series. This was Pentium 3-4 days, long while back.

I have a Dell C226 (Haswell) motherboard and it absolutely does not have a standard ATX connector, it’s 8 pins instead of 24.

e: I’m not bothered by this one bit, the motherboard was a replacement and normally that chipset goes for over $100. Since Dell needs to be such a special snowflake, the board’s resale value is like only $40 and I just needed a $4 adapter to make it work.

Laslow fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 27, 2019

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I have to say being an early adopter for an SSD allowed me to use my old Q9450 rig comfortably for way longer than I had any right to be.

Sure, the difference going to a 1276v3 with a GTX 970 was definitely noticeable, but definitely wasn’t nearly as big as you would expect considering the age gap of the Q9450/GTX 580 3GB it replaced.

Now they were a $300 CPU paired with a $600 GPU, so they were top of the line in their day, but still....

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Palladium posted:

While I was stress testing my old 4790K system with a 850 Evo prior to selling it, I was reminded by just how fast it booted from hitting the power button to the Windows desktop: 14 secs. My 8700K needed the same 14 secs to see the POST screen, and another 13 secs to the desktop despite having a EX920 NVMe OS drive.
The DDR4 adds about 10 seconds for some reason I’m too lazy to look up right now.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Nutsak posted:

You might want to see if it's his graphics card bottlenecking his system first. I'm running a 4790k and a 1070 and in theory I need to replace the graphics card to get better FPS in the games I play.
I'm planning on grabbing a 10600k* only because I'll need to replace my motherboard/ram anyway so I may as well get the new socket now, and one of the new 3-series Nvidia cards later.

*which can apparently be overclocked to match the performance of a stock 10900k...
I’m on a 1276v3(basically a 4790) and I’m gonna wait until DDR5 until I replace it since I’m on a 4K monitor and will have to run games in 1080p until nVidia catches up anyway, and I’m not springing for a 3080 Ti, they can eat my rear end.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Will this now force AMD to partner with DC?
The 4950X box could be just covered in gratuitous shots of Dr. Manhattan’s dong.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Microcenter has 9900Ks for $299.99 May be possible to get best buy to price match if you don't have one in your area, some people report success with a couple tries.
That’s tempting. On paper it’s more than twice the CPU as my Haswell Xeon E3. But in practice with an SSD, enough RAM and a decent enough GPU that I’ve got, I wouldn’t get much out of it for what I do. If I need more CPU or the benefits of DDR4(losing ECC though), I’ll just steal my wife’s Skylake-K, heh.

I’m gonna hold out for DDR5 because overpaying for new memory platforms is a tradition of mine.

I’m just not used to having a computer having such a long useful lifespan. Being able to get a CPU that powerful for the same price I got my Q9450 back in the day(probably cheaper with inflation) and going “nice, but pass...” is just absurd to me.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
HEDT is dead as we know it is dead. Intel needs to rework the X chipsets as they were pre-X58. Basically higher end than the Z, but without using a snowflake/server socket to keep the CPU prices competitive. Maybe use it as the beta test platform for bleeding edge stuff like DDR5/PCIE5, just like they did with X48 with DDR3/PCIE2/UEFI.

If they time it right, they could beat AMD to having a DDR5 product to market. At least that’d give them something compelling, even if on paper.

Basically I’m waiting on DDR5 before my next rebuild, and anything to help that get out the door earlier even by a few months, that’d be swell. :v:

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

WRT cloud apple seem pretty happy running other people’s tech in their own data centers and seem like they’d be extremely happy to get every developer to buy a MacBook Pro to connect to Azure or Amazon services. I suppose at this point they really don’t see the value in even thinking of pursuing that space, for all that some of their hardware could hypothetically excel in it.
Yep. Cloud is a race to the bottom and they don’t play that game.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

shrike82 posted:

lol cloud is a major profit center for big tech companies extending to even hardware makers that cater to cloud providers
Sure, especially with the services. But on the hardware side, would you not expect it to be commoditized to the point where it’d be an unattractive proposition given all of the competition?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Apple is pushing more and more into the services game. They aren't a race to the bottom company but their services aren't exactly race to the bottom either last I checked icloud pricing
And maybe that’s their opening. They can charge people gently caress-awful prices for personal backups/sync because it’s so seamless with the iOS and Mac devices that can shove the service signup page into millions of captive faces.

Then it might make economic sense for them to make a buttload of ARM Xserves(AServes?) for themselves to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
The funny thing about AVX512 is that RPCSX3 and Cemu get some mileage out of it and that stuff is kind of my jam. So despite largely being outside of the typical use-case, it’s still a feature that’s firmly in the “nice to have for a few bucks more” category for me. It’s kind of in the $30 or less range personally though. Like if the equivalent i9/Xeon were $30 more than a Ryzen R9/Threadripper without AVX512 or significantly less AVX512 performance, I just might reach for it because I’m an enormous idiot.

Anand says that there’s no such thing as bad products, just bad prices which is what I judge by. So if Alder Lake is a technological embarrassment for being so late for what it ultimately is doesn’t matter to me one iota if it’s priced appropriately. But there’s plenty of time for AMD to match Intel in AVX512 between now and then.