Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Alereon posted:

Broadwell, the 14nm shrink of Haswell, has been delayed for at least one quarter due to yield issues with the 14nm process. Originally it was planned for initial production late this year for a launch in 2014, but now may be pushed back until late 2014 or even 2015. Note that Broadwell is a "tick", meaning it will be offered in as a multi-chip module that is soldered onto motherboards, not a socketed processor ("tocks get socks"). The Haswell refresh next year should tie us over until Skylake in 2015.

Wikipedia (yeah I know) is telling me there will be a variant "Broadwell-D" that is socket 1150. Has this been debunked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
I guess it won't be too bad. We already do this already with k processor: z87 board and non-k : h87 board. We only want the illusion of choice, but we just make the same picks anyways.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

DrDork posted:

I guess that goes back to "how hard is it to simply not include the iGPU" when making the chip. Clearly the addition/subtraction of a few megs of L3 cache isn't a big deal, and what specific iGPU goes into chips varies quite a bit, as well, so there's already some precedent. It does seem silly, though; if you're going to make a "gamer oriented chip," why waste even $1 on an iGPU that your entire market demographic is going to disable the moment they get it? Then again, they did the same thing with Devil Canyon, so who knows.

For the desktop market, Intel really only fabs three chips, dual core mobile, quad core mobile, and 8 core enterprise. The desktop market just receives the "waste" of these production lines. This could mean some faulty cache, being too leaky, or having some cores being non-operational.

The worse dual core mobile bins become the celerons, pentiums, and i3s. The worse quad core mobile bins become i5s and i7s. Lastly, the worse binned server chips become the HEDT chips.

Therefore, in the end, it doesn't cost Intel anything to include the iGPU on the mainstream desktop chips because they are already there as a result of those chips being originally fabbed for mobile.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

sincx posted:

Skylake-E when? Any hope for mid-2016?

Broadwell-E is supposedly out Q1 2016, they're not going to release Skylake-E 3 months later!

Original Skylake-E release was Q4 2016 but I think they released a new roadmap somewhere showing Q1 2017.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
It would be interesting if Kaby Lake-X had significantly higher clock speed than Kaby Lake-S/K mainstream CPUs, like 5+GHz.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

ufarn posted:

I've got a 6yo i5-760, and it looks like there aren't a lot of great replacements for my setup.

I'm generally reluctant to get into OC, but in particular because longevity is clearly a very important factor for my CPU, so what are my options realistically? It looks like the new netcode update for Overwatch means my CPU can't keep up, no matter which setting I'm using, which sucks.

I have that same CPU. What new Overwatch netcode are you referring to? The 60 tic rate? I was just playing as early as yesterday with no issues at all. 1440p, high/ultra settings, 60 min fps. I don't think your CPU is a bottleneck at all, if anything, it is your video card.

Lolcano Eruption fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 10, 2016

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since the parts thread doesn't seem to be helpful in this, I guess I'll try my luck here. If I were to get DDR4-2666 low-CAS sticks for my 5820K, can I run it at 2133 or 2400MHz with very tight timings?

Yeah but you'll probably find the same RAM sold at a lower speed with tighter timings already with almost the exact same cost. CPU-Z will tell you what timings you can get at each speed.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

ufarn posted:

Anyone venture a guess how big a game improvement I'd get if I replaced my i5-760 with an X3470?

I'm mainly playing Overwatch which is extremely bottlenecked by my CPU, and I imagine the hyperthreading alone might help a lot - as well for recording or streaming.

I don't know what the OC potential is, but my 760 only managed to clock to ~3.5 GHz (170 BCLK), if I'm reading CPU-Z correctly.

I've been waiting eons to replace my CPU, but if Z390 is going to have what those specs indicate, I might as well spend ~€40 for an interim CPU.

Won't increase your FPS at all for Overwatch. Will have less of an FPS drop when playing when recording/streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
https://videocardz.com/72775/intel-preps-dual-core-i3-7360x-for-x299-but-why
hosed up if true