Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
What's the official launch date? I already see the CPUs/Motherboards in online stores here in Slovenia but CPUs are not in stock yet.
Also is there a date on where online review sites can start publishing their reviews? If i remember correctly i saw some site mention to come back for reviews after 31 December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

I'm waiting for reviews but i've got around 550€ ready to replace my old C2D with one of these new SB CPUs with new MB/RAM.
i2600k looks like it's going to be around 300€ here which doesn't really seem worth it though, compared to 200€ i2500k.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

movax posted:

I think everyone should seriously consider the "splurge" for getting the Intel solution; your torrents will thank you.

Do you have any links to reviews or proof for this? I have some cheap Attansic onboard gigabit card on my old C2D motherboard but i've never had any issue with torrenting. But i'm currently only on some 20Mbit connection and i'll be switching to cheaper 100Mbit which might change it, so Iim interested if there's any gains for paying 30$ for an Intel NIC.

Mayne fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 3, 2011

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Alereon posted:

It's more accurate to say that Asrock is a company that Asus spun off to make products for the low-end market. I don't think Asus and Asrock share any personnel or designs or anything like that. They're just like any other low-end motherboard company, not great but not absolute trash like Jetway/PC Chips/etc.

They're not really that low end, their motherboards have been getting praises for the performance/features they bring for a cheaper price compared to Asus/MSI/Gigabyte.
They're cheaper but not bad quality as you'd expect.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Intel Core i7 2600K 4x3.40 GHz So 1155 BOX
Asus P8P67 Pro P67 Sockel 1155 ATX DDR3
G.Skill 4GB KIT RipJaws PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL9 RL
Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Sound Card

Is what i'm getting. Once i get some extra cash i'll get a SSD and a new GFX card but gtx285 will have to do until then.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Lucid software lets P67 mobos access QuickSync video

Very promising for all the p67 owners, hope it doesn't cost too much. I usually use x264 for my encodes but for something like a smartphone this would be perfect.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

In 2 years a midrange card will almost certainly poo poo all over GTX570 SLI.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Oh god i ordered 2x of that exact same kit and for P8P67 Pro too. It better work or i'll be pissed.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Received the package today, opened it and goddamn, they sent me i7-2600 instead of 2600k. Now to wait another week for proper CPU to arrive :argh:

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

spanko posted:

You have to update the bios on the Asus P8P67 boards from a FAT32 file system, that's why it tells you the file is invalid. Best way to do it is to put the bios file on a USB drive, load up the EFI bios, select EZ flash, then navigate to the thumb drive and select the file.

Everyone is complaining about cold booting issues with these boards and I'm having the same problem with my P8P67 Pro, even with the 1053 bios. The update solved the other stability issues though. I've done two 12 hour sets of Prime95 at 4.2ghz so I'm happy. I might try higher when a new, less flaky bios gets released just to see how high I can go.
For boot issues:

Clear RTC RAM procedure

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5–10 seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1-2.

3. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
4. Hold down the "Del" key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data.

This should fix it.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Tried some quick overclocking, this is what i got.

I'm no OC expert but i think voltage and everything looks okay, right?

Any idea though what would cause 10 degrees temperature difference betweeen cores 1 and 2?

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

I have P8P67PRO which has 2x Intel 6gbit and 2x Marvell 6gbit but i use 6 SATA2 drives. I can use the 2x ESATA in the back to plug in the rest of drives if i buy ESATA to SATA cables right?

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Did you get a Rev3 P8P67Pro? If not :ughh:

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

What's the difference between Intel and other integrated NICs anyway? I always see people wanting Intel NIC or claiming they're the best but no one ever says why.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

It has the same onboard Intel NIC as my ASUS board and it's possible to adjust Jumbo packet size to 4088 or 9014 bytes on mine. Maybe you need to install the Intel drivers if you're using the ones Windows installs by default.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Jesus what's wrong with ASUS?! I'm considering buying a Haswell platform, but god drat they have a lot of models. For Z87 chipset alone they have:
- Sabretooth
- A
- C
- Deluxe
- Deluxe/Dual
- Expert
- K
- Plus
- Pro

That's 9 models! How I'm supposed to make an informed choice from that bunch? Do they even have some comparison spreadsheets available?

Edit: drat motherboard business is completely out of control. Looked at Gigabyte's offerings and they have no less than 15 different models for the same chipset! GA-Z87N-WIFI, GA-Z87P-D3, GA-Z87-D3HP, GA-Z87X-D3H, GA-Z87M-HD3, GA-Z87X-OC, GA-Z87MX-D3H, GA-Z87-HD3, GA-Z87X-UD4H, G1.Sniper 5, GA-Z87M-D3H, GA-Z87X-OC Force, GA-Z87X-UD5H, G1.Sniper M5, GA-Z87X-UD3H

I'm starting to understand why people buy market PC's or Mac's instead.

Go for Pro or better.

Here's more detailed info: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039930755#post1039930755

Mayne fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 3, 2013

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

If you're streaming and have a Nvidia card it's much better to just use the card to encode, you get almost no performance loss.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Fajita Fiesta posted:

There are no good hardware encoders for low bitrate stuff they all poo poo out garbage quality video at that level, x264 beats the pants off them.

x264 at 3500kbps which is the maximum Twitch allows looks almost as terrible as Nvenc if you're streaming at 1080p, but it is less blocky in motion.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Only for Twitch partners, not for everyone.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

computer parts posted:

No, onboard audio's been a decent thing for longer than that. At least back in 2008 it was enough of a justification to not buy a dedicated sound card.

The ALC892 on my P8P67PRO board was still quite bad compared to the Xonar DG card i bought for 30$. The newer ALC1150 that have EMI shielding on good boards are really good though, more than enough for most people.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

DrDork posted:

Not sure what sort of games you're playing where a 4590 won't be sufficient, especially since if you built a "cheap" box I'm assuming you didn't bother to pair it with a 980Ti. TW3 recommends a "minimum" of a i5-2500, and I can tell you that my 2500k is not what's constraining my FPS at high/ultra + 1440p, so methinks your 4590 will be fine--sure it's 20% slower than the 4970k, but unless you've got a GPU to match, it's probably not gonna matter much.

Ugh. Why can't someone just take an Intel NIC and put some fancy red paint on it and call it a "high end gaming solution!" It'd be better than 95% of these custom-rolled chipsets.

ASUS does.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Here's a good video comparing 6700k, 5820K and 5960X in multiple games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocwwaVGUFtk

And the article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-is-the-fastest-gaming-cpu

Mayne fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 13, 2016

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

LLSix posted:

Is DDR4 better in any real world application than DDR3? Most of the tests I've seen come out a wash with any advantage DDR4 has balanced by DDR3 being better in some other area.

It is, here's an example of DDR3 vs DDR4, DDR4 wins at every test: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/70775-intel-skylake-ddr3-vs-ddr4-comparison-4.html

A lot of comparisons make mistake of comparing DDR3 and DDR4 with same speed which benefits DDR3 because something like DDR3 2133mhz is fast but DDR4 2133mhz is not something you should be buying. Get 3000Mhz or 3200Mhz DDR4.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

E: double post

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

6700k is compared on Techpowerup.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Same. Have Fractal Design Define XL for my workstation and Define 5 for my NAS. Quiet, well built cases without all the RGB that I don't care about.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

My 6600k needed 1.35V for 4.2ghz, replaced it with 6700k that needs 1.28V for 4.5ghz.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

McDeth posted:

So I want to build a PC around an i7 8086K with a solid Windows Server 2016 compatible motherboard. This is the second time I'm doing this build and previously I used an ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E motherboard. The board itself is ok but the drivers are less than stellar when used with Windows Server.

What options are out there for me?

What kind of issues are you having? Like someone else said, drivers are same as for Windows10. You basically install Intel chipset drivers, intel LAN drivers and that should be it. I've never had any issues on my i7-6770k with ASUS motherboard.

What will the server be used for though? I really don't think i7 8086K is a good buy for running a server unless you already have it, much better to go AMD route with more cores for usual physical host server tasks like running different VMs.

I've been running a Windows Server2016 Datacenter on AMD ryzen 1700 (8c/16t) with 64gb ram on some gigabyte "gaming" motherboard as a VM host / NAS / Plex server since the start of the year with zero issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISl-QQ5lWI4