Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Man, even after the whole mess with Kaby Lake vcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually like Gigabyte's motherboards though, what is supposed to be wrong with them?

Just my experience with my Z170X-Gaming 5, but the board itself is fine, the BIOS updates often aren't.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Is there much benefit to delidding a 6700K, or is it mainly limited to Kaby/Coffee Lake?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So the consumer Coffee Lake boards are just recently starting to trickle into channel, but evidently still won't be available in volume until April. The B360, H310, and H370.

So were the rumors of Z390 boards just bullshit?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Palladium posted:

I can go back to my old 4790K from my 8700K and it will make zero difference in gaming besides offline 31 bots CS:GO which is far and away the most ST intensive gaming load I can think of.

I really didn't need a CPU upgrade but I was so loving bored with the desktop CPU landscape.

This is pretty much where I’m at. I have this irrational desire to upgrade my 6700K, but there’s no legitimate reason to do so. Not until 6+ cores get more heavily leveraged in gaming anyway.

That said, if Intel does roll out a mainstream 8C/16T chip soon, that might do the trick.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
*Intel announced 10nm not shipping in volume until 2019 (if ever)*
*sees lots of posts in the Intel thread, assumes interesting discussion of Intel’s fortunes has ensued*
*”Oh...”*

I’m not looking forward to when Tesla actually reports their financials next week. :ohdear:

Has anything been confirmed about exactly *why* Intel’s 10nm process is so boned compared to the rest of the industry? Global Foundries and TSMC seem rather confident of hitting 7nm, while Intel is 3+ years past their target date and still sweating the ramp for 10nm.

E: I get that Intel’s 10nm is not directly equivalent to that of other fabs, but it’s still a pretty bad look.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So, given Intel’s never ending 10nm woes, this brings up a couple points I’ve been curious about for a while. And being as I’m most definitely not a CPU architect, I apologize in advance if these are overly moronic.

One thing I’ve been very curious about the past few years is if the x86 architecture is mostly ‘finished’ as far as major improvements goes - i.e., are we done with Sandy Bridge-style massive generational improvements? People have harped on Intel for not innovating due to AMD being non competitive prior to Ryzen, but I’ve wondered moreso if all the low hanging fruit has been picked and there’s simply not much left in the way of improvements that could be made to the x86 architecture, specifically in the ~100w TDP mainstream desktop space - which is why we keep getting the incremental 5% gains year after year but nothing more.

Secondly, is there a reason Intel doens’t go ahead and roll out a new architecture on 14nm instead of just increasing clocks and cores on the existing Skylake architecture? Since, unless I’m missing something, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake are architecturally identical to Skylake, ignoring changes to the iGPU (as evidenced by identical IPC clock-for-clock).

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm rooting for Atom's time to shine. Skylake was their new architecture on 14nm, broadwell was the first!

Right, but they haven’t made an architectural change since Skylake. Like presumably they have Ice Lake or whatever penciled in for 10nm, why not just say ‘gently caress it’ and roll it out now on 14nm, akin to Nvidia rolling out Maxwell while they were still stuck on 28nm?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

feedmegin posted:

I wonder if they chose that specific price for a reason :corsair:

$386 would have been more fair while still hitting the nostalgia.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Obviously this question involves a fair amount of speculation, but:
How long do you all think a quad-core i7 (e.g., my 6700K) will remain viable as a high-end gaming CPU in the face of the escalating core wars?

The rumors of 8-core Coffee Lake chips are pretty tempting (or, Zen 2 if they can get the clock speeds up a bit more), but I’m back and forth on if it would be beneficial or not. Not that my 6700K is showing its age at all, but with a new console generation around the corner it is a little tempting to pick up an 8-core chip and know I’m set for 5+ years. And, I could always find something to do with the 6700K elsewhere.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Combat Pretzel posted:

AMD should extend the sweepstakes indefinitely then.

Seriously. They need to clear inventory for the 2990X and other Ryzen+ TR models anyway.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Knifegrab posted:

I am going to be upgrading my mother board and CPU, my GFX and other things are still pretty solid so this is only a partial upgrade. So I have two questions:

1) Are we on the precipice of any big technology releases that I should just wait for in terms of intel processors?

2) If not, what is the best high performance CPU that is not crazy insane but good for intense gaming? I am willing to break the bank within reason.

Word is that Intel has 8-core mainstream chips (I.e. using the more affordable ‘Z’ platform) coming very soon, though nothing has been officially announced. They’re supposedly coming around fall so I’d at least wait til then unless you need a system now.

The current top dog for gaming is Intel’s 8700K, which has 6 cores and 12 threads (versus the rumored Intel chips mentioned above which would have 8 cores and 16 threads). Currently runs around $350, plus $150ish for a motherboard. Also be ready to get gouged on DDR4 RAM.

AMD’s 2600X and 2700X are also very good, though for purely gaming they’re slightly behind the 8700K.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nobody knows how Intel will play it. They could ditch the 6C6Ts and make 6C12T the i5s while the 8C16C become i7s, they could make the i5s be 8C8T, or they could just introduce the 8C16T over the top of the stack as i9s.

The 6Cs will probably come down modestly but the 8Cs are probably going to be more expensive. Intel tends not to alter its price points (instead, they introduce new hardware at the same price point) which kinda suggests they'll go with the i9 option to me.

Yeah, I'm guessing the existing price structure will be maintained and the 8C/16T chips will be slotted in a tier above (and, like you said, probably branded as an i9 chip).

The 7820X has been going for ~$465 since March or so, I'm guessing the mainstream 8C chip will land around there too.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Any rough idea on how the 8C/8T i7 would compare to the current 6C/12T i7? I.e., does the addition of two cores even out the loss of four threads?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Chuu posted:

Any rumors on i9-9900K pricing? Is it really going to become the new "i7" or is it going to sit at ~$1000 like the current i9?

Looking to upgrade from an i5-2500, would be willing to wait, but paying that much of a premium just doesn't seem to be worth it compared to a 6c6t next gen or 6c12t current gen part.

Best guess right now is the i9 9900K will be ~$450. Nothing’s been confirmed though.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Welp, sold. Hitting 5 GHz 24/7 on 8 cores without having to buy special tools/thermal compounds or void my warranty was the final nudge I needed to upgrade my 6700K.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

axeil posted:

No :negative:

I'm on a stock cooler and I worry about stability as my system tends to run hot in general.

I’d invest in a nice CPU cooler now and look into overclocking. Assuming you’ll upgrade to a 9600K, 9700K or 9900K down the line, you’ll need a cooler anyway as they don’t include them anymore.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
What you really want is the 9950X.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
For gaming at 4K 60 Hz*, I have little to no incentive to upgrade my 6700K, correct? I’m tempted to pick up a 9900K just for fun, but I really doubt I’d see real world benefits. I do mess around with VMs but rarely more than one at a time.

I’m sure the 6700K will become less tenable in a few years, but I’m trying to follow the sensible advice of ‘only upgrade when you have a need’.

*Assuming I ever get my GPU RMA debacle ironed out.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Cygni posted:

Cannon Lake is never launching on desktop, so you might be waitin' a while!

tbh, its getting to the point that I don't think we will ever see Ice Lake either.

I remember a few months ago Ashraf Eassa was suggesting Intel should scrap 10nm and move on to 7nm, is there any credence to that or was it just conjecture?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Did Intel not sample the 9700K to anyone, or is interest in reviewing it really that low versus the 9900K?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Laslow posted:

Newegg was good before Amazon was so dominant. They’re running on inertia right now.

They even get dunked on by Microcenter, a physical store in 2018. Think about that for a minute.

Pretty much this. They were good in the early aughts when we all started building PCs, some people just stuck with them in the decade and a half since, rather than moving on to Amazon.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

mystes posted:

It was nice how much faster computers used to get when you upgraded.

Right, but it’s also nice now being legitimately able to ride out a platform purchase for 5 years if you want.

That said what I usually want are fun new builds so I find reasons to upgrade anyway.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Meanwhile I’m trying to undervolt my 9900K to run it as cool as possible. From what I can tell Gigabyte is notorious for overvolting out of the box, and at stock (4.7 GHz) my Gigabyte board was supplying ~1.25 V to the CPU at load. After tweaking I’m able to run closer to 1.16 V under load with dynamic voltage (or 1.15 if I stick to static), with load gaming temps in the mid 60s and stress testing AVX workloads in the mid to high 70s.

I’m using an NH-D15 for cooling, so I accept that I may get better results if I went with a 280 or 360mm AIO, but trying to hit 5.0 GHz (with no AVX offset) resulted in temps in the low 90s, which I’m not really comfortable with for 24/7 use.

For my use, 8C/16T at 4.7 GHz isn’t holding me back at all so I don’t see the need for the extra heat and electricity.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Combat Pretzel posted:

Mirrors the 32C TR2 pricing, doesn't it? I wholly expect AMD to screw them with the 32C TR3.

Steve also mentioned in the Gamers Nexus video that the Asus W-3175X motherboard is estimated to cost around ~$1700, with retail availability currently unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Cygni posted:

IceLake/Sunny Cove officially launching. Naming is dropping a zero off, and becoming the "10 series". Intel is also going to be adding the graphics config to the end of the name itself for mobile, so parts are things like "Core i7-1068G7" or "Core i3-1005G1"

AT with the big overview article: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14514/examining-intels-ice-lake-microarchitecture-and-sunny-cove

And some actual testing in a development laptop: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14664/testing-intel-ice-lake-10nm/

Seems like the IPC is fantastic, the integrated graphics a huge step forward, and the memory controller great... but 10nm is hurting the max frequency pretty badly vs Whiskey Lake, so single threaded performance and performance per watt is only 3.5% or so over Whiskey Lake.

Here’s looking forward to this architecture on 7nm, I guess.