Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
We are literally going to run out of atoms to shave off the transistors in the next 5 years because Intel is being a complacent, anti-competitive monopoly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

One of the reasons for that is it's so little-used that none of the parts have really achieved economies of scale. If it gets popular costs will come down, though by how much is an open question.

Has there been any reason for Thunderbolt to become popular that has legs? All I've seen for it are monitor hookups for big Macs and serious business peripherals that have firewire, usb 3 or straight up pci-e connected models available as well.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
When I last rebuilt my PC I found that the cooler for the CPU had come loose and was sort of dangling off to the side of the chip. It worked like this for months, possibly even years.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The only purchase of new hardware I can justify is some kind of Xeon-ready motherboard, with associated memory, SSD, graphics hardware, and OS that I can put an 8 core and 16 GB in now while holding onto the dream of a 20-core and 128 GB 2 years from now. What should I be keeping an eye on as far as workstation processors, workstation sockets and such? I don't know if the near future is in the 1151 or the 2011-v3, or if I should expect an entirely new socket to come around in 6 months that will "obsolete" anything available right now.

To put in a really specific question: In Photoshop, using brushes with what Adobe presents as bristle simulators, if I go too high on the pixel density I get really bad, 1+ second input lag between the stroke on the tablet and the stroke on the screen. Is that a CPU bottleneck? GPU? I was in here asking stupid questions about the hardware bottlenecks for ray-tracing renderers a few months ago and now I guess I'm on to the bottlenecks for 2D paintbrush simulators.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

Also, which 8 core CPUs are you looking at? If you spend all this money and then go with an E5-2620v4 for ~$420, you're going to have 8 Broadwell cores at 2.1 GHz, which isn't appreciably more computing power than 4 Skylake cores at 4.0GHz in a cheaper consumer i7-6700K. Fast Xeon 8-cores like the E5-2667v4 cost ~$2000.

I was just throwing out an example with the number 8. I'll probably need to make an intermediate step up from my old Sandy Bridge and anything you could call a workstation, especially if there's no chance of the processor socket at the center of everything lasting long enough to upgrade in phases. That 6700K will probably be the way I go. I really already knew that.

Thanks for bringing up the 3647, though. I had been trying to look for news on the new socket after someone here mentioned seeing one, but I couldn't find the post and I had no luck searching for the new socket number.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Boiled Water posted:

Ahh. Even faster than with a video card?

It turns out once you step outside real-time rendering, there's a whole lot of video data processing that has to be done by a CPU and is completely unaffected by GPU hardware acceleration.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but what's wrong with that RAID config? It's like RAID10, but instead of mirrors, it's arrays with parity. It's aptly called RAID50, too.

I think the problem was that it was 05. not 50. If even one of the top level controllers failed, everything was dead. That was what they were afraid had happened before they called actual professionals to fix it.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

The moral of the story is that hard drives are horrible horrible things.

I have started looking into what it would take to replace all my storage with SSDs. Alas, it's still too expensive right now.

iirc the raid setup was all ssds

he really put that whole thing together the one and only way that would make catastrophic failure even possible

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Xae posted:

But if you get to 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ won't that mean you're right back to 28nm???

no, the calculations are done with the fab size before it's incremented

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

I still hate the drat connectors on usb.

I have a MIDI keyboard with a USB-B connector and I can make it disconnect from the computer while still in the socket by blowing on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

I think even if flying cars magically became practical from a technical perspective, I wouldn't trust the average driver to handle one safely; humans have enough trouble keeping track of everything going on in 2 dimensions.

i saw it pointed out somewhere that what we want when we say we want flying cars is basically a helicopter

so we've had them for decades. they're just expensive and dangerous