Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You should really ask the maker of the plugin/Adobe, lots of stuff in Photoshop is not well multithreaded but that can all go out the window depending on plugins and such, it'd really suck to spend a bunch and get no returns out of it.

Getting ahold of someone who is equipped to answer this would be really time consuming.

Just open up the process monitor and gpu-z, crank up the pixel density to 11, and see how many cores it uses / whether gpu is used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Weird to see content providers still implementing DRM schemes with limited functionality. Except for physical media (which can't really ever be locked down anyway) pirates stopped cracking this poo poo years ago, these days they just hook up a $20 HDMI splitter to the output. It strips off HDCP and they just capture the output with a capture card.

Even if future output protocols are locked down better (lol plz, there will always be $20 Chinese splitters that stole a DRM key from some other product in the same factory), you can always just take a future-HDCP monitor and disassemble it to get at the raw bits being sent to the display panel.

All the DRM does is stop casual downloading of videos direct from Netflix by the everyday user. Something that never existed and will never exist because there isn't really a point if you can just stream the content anyway.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

You'd think he'd know enough to spend the 30 seconds needed to look at CPU usage of his workflow before buying all this poo poo. Especially something that he knows is GPU-accelerated anyway.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

I think people claiming Ryzen has similar IPC to Intel are looking at cherry-picked benchmarks, or things that don't fully scale with CPU speed (ie games).

Looking at http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1853?vs=1729
It seems like the 6900k and 1800x are basically tied at stock clocks. Except the former is clocked 400mhz lower, which means Broadwell-E​ has about a 15% IPC advantage. Looking at the same benchmarks using the 1700x indicates that these scores roughly scale with frequency.

Ryzen will reliably OC to 4ghz (+11%) versus broadwell E at 4.3ghz (+34%). So at max OC Intel is about 20% faster.

If skylake-x gets a 5% avg IPC gain over Broadwell-E, and clocks at 4.5ghz it will be 35% faster than Ryzen. That makes the Skylake 6 core ($390) competitive against the 1700 non-X ($330). Especially when you consider that if total speed is equal then lower core count CPUs are strictly superior for single threaded applications. X299 boards cost more than Ryzen ones, but the former has HEDT features; Ryzen is a mainstream platform.

I don't really get the rips on the 7740k and the NVMe raid stuff. They're lame but...they are extras; if they didn't exist at all what complaint would you have? Just ignore them.

Like, Ryzen is cool, I think stitching dies together is cool and novel, and I'm super glad AMD has forced Intel to lower prices, but I don't see a reason to declare Intel dead because their competitor finally released a product that would have been state of the art in the year 2012.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

:holymoley: those thermals

Did anyone see my tube of toothpaste, I know I left it over by the Skylake-X assembly line somewhere

What does this chart even mean? Of course the core is going to be hotter than the coolant. How does this compare to [any other CPU]?

I guess just showing the temps relative to a 6950x at the same frequency wasn't sensationalist​ enough. It isn't surprising that if you push a thermally limited (solder or not) chip to its limit it is going to reach the thermal limit.

The board frying a CPU because it wasn't unplugged long enough is a waaaaay bigger issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

TheJeffers posted:

Lesser Skylake-X is only "gimped" relative to greater Skylake-X. Ryzen CPUs can't perform AVX-512 operations at all so you still have twice the theoretical AVX throughput of Zen (1x fused 256-bit op per however many cycles) from AVX/AVX2/AVX-512 on Skylake-X even on Core i7s. I believe AVX-512 is not just about throughput but also being nicer to code for for certain things, so there's still value in even a lesser implementation of it for some, I imagine.

It isn't gimped at all. Every skylake x cpu has the same full throughput AVX512 (64 single-precision FLOPs per cycle per core). Exactly double that of Haswell/Broadwell/consumer skylake. Tons of people have tested them on various boards. It's kind of concerning that every reviewer who commented about this got it wrong because I can't actually find any information from Intel to suggest that the i7 SKUs would be any different (how would they be anyway? They're all based on the same die)

https://communities.intel.com/thread/116484