Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Carecat posted:

Do you think they will have fixed it in architecture for the next Intel chips? Doesn't sound like they can get the performance back.

I read that existing designs in the pipeline will be affected too, apparently only a totally new CPU design with the intent to avoid the flaw will do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Some games are starting to touch 100% usage on my 6600k now (namely Far Cry 5 and AS:O) and over the next year or so it's going to happen more and more frequently. Now I don't really want to spend a whole lot overhauling my system, so is it worth upgrading to a 6700k, or should I just wait until Cannon/Ice Lake? (whichever is coming after coffee lake)

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 13, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

spasticColon posted:

I'm still praying to the CPU gods for a 8c/8t Core i5. :pray:

That would be the budget king for ages to come, a bit like how the i5 2500k was. I can't see it happening for a while yet. Intel wants people to buy their i7s.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The only difference I noticed going from a 2500k to a 6600k was framerates in World of Warcraft's Dalaran city being much higher. I generally saw less dips overall, especially in raids. It's weird, WoW doesn't really use much CPU but it got the biggest improvements. Perhaps the new memory had something to do with it, I went from 1600mhz to 2666mhz when I upgraded my CPU and board.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

What's the backstory to Jim Keller?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Guy designed DEC Alpha, then reassembled his team and designed AMD Athlon, then coauthored the x86-64 spec, then was a VP at a company. Apple acquired him, and he designed a couple ARM processors for them. Then he came back to AMD and designed Zen, before leaving to Tesla to design [presumably] a bunch of deep learning poo poo for them. And now he's been acquired by Intel.

The guy has personally designed about 5 of the 10 last groundbreaking compute architectures over the last 20 years.

So he really is a lone tech samurai wandering the lands

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Palladium posted:

https://i.imgur.com/cOXSCVg.png

Check out the Dec 2017 numbers from Mindfactory, 8700K supply was a non issue by then yet 7700Ks still sold at half the volume of 8700Ks for absolutely no good reason.

Part of the reason is that you could replace 6x00s with 7x00s on a lot of boards, so guys wanted to replace their 6600ks with 7700ks when they saw that four threads were starting to not cut it on some games basically. So they got an upgrade and didn't need to replace their board.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

My motherboard is solidly on the way out (stalling at 99 post code probably 40% of the time, and for some reason my audio playback is popping and catching no matter what DAC I used). Whats the current best guess for 9900K Z390 release? I really need an upgrade.

End of October is a common guess, I'm waiting for the 9 series to release too.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

He's right, there are only two games that bottleneck my 6600k at 4k and they're both trash ports (mhw, as:o)

Every other game hits 100% usage on the 1080ti long before the cpu can reach 60-70%

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I'm guessing I can just plop my existing DDR4 2666mhz memory sticks in the new z390 mobos?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

That's just a sign of stagnation imo

It's only when amd came out with ryzen that intel finally started to produce cpus that drastically improve on previous iterations

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

vv Yeah, I just thought it was fun to stop and think about it for a moment

Don't get me wrong at all! It was great that my 2500k lasted for so long. Nobody wants to feel like they have to upgrade every year and a half. On one side you had stagnation, on the other side you had software developers making the most of it. Whatever's had to work on a 7600k also worked just fine on a 2500k. Four cores became a thing around Crysis' time, now ten years later you can do some seriously impressive poo poo with it, like 64 player vehicular battles on Battlefield.

Hopefully now with the focus back on hex and octo physical cores we should see an explosion in impressive looking poo poo, here's hoping so anyway. Hyperthreading is nice but it just isn't a good enough replacement and is a security nightmare.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

If I wanted to upgrade my 6600K is it just worth saving a lot of money and simply putting a 6700k in there? Starting to hit 100% usage in a few games.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

Overclocking that 6600K will gain you far more in games than throwing money at a 6700K.

It's currently at 4.6ghz. I've tried 4.7 but it locks up once or twice a day unfortunately.

Cheers guys, looks like I will wait for 9 series as originally planned.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

craig588 posted:

Or play old games that'd run on a Geforce 2.

This but unironically. I have been playing nothing but Soldier of Fortune since it came out again on GOG

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I'm really tempted by ryzen 2700x, I was looking at it recently and some shops do bundles where the the CPU+cooler, memory, motherboard and an SSD combined were just £530. A sole 8700k costs £470, it's a rip off.

Here's an example, on OCUK the 8700k on its own is £470 but you can get a loving shitload more on the AMD side of things

It's not even close. Who the gently caress would buy a 8700k right now? Prices are insane. AMD is absolutely exploiting the situation with these crazy giveaways they're doing.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzshhrIj2EY

:siren:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

one hundred loving degrees lmao

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

fargom posted:

I haven't felt the need to upgrade my 6600k (running with a braindead OC to 4.5ghz) yet, and I really don't see any reason to even consider the 9th gen. The wait continues.

Yeah I have a serious case of the upgrade bug and my stupid lizard brain is constantly nagging me to buy a 2700x but I really can't justify it since only 1 game has hit all 100% on my 6600K at 4K60 (AS:Origins), the rest is bottlenecked by the GPU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Oh god this probably means ryzen gear will go up in price once AMD sees demand go up for them in the wake of Intel struggling to keep supply up

I really hate sitting on the fence like this

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

If they show the GPU utilization as under 100% it's a fair CPU test (this is why a lot of sites do tests at 720p or on lowest settings)

It doesn't really matter what the GPU is as long as it's not bottlenecking the CPU benchmarks

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

il serpente cosmico posted:

Right, but almost all of their tests are GPU bottlenecked

Yeah. That pretty much means they have tested poorly.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

CPUs are loving weird. My 6600K does 4.6ghz at 1.29vcore just fine, but I have to go all the way up to 1.395vcore for stable 4.7ghz.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

At 4k the difference between 6700k and later i7s is virtually nil, the bottleneck at that resolution is GPU-related.

To put things in perspective as well, for gaming at all resolutions, the 6700k is still just as fast as the Ryzen 7 2700x. Don't knock it. It's old but it's still a very fast CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IistubvBOT8

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

pmchem posted:

I can’t actually find hard evidence of that for BF5 at 1440p or above. The posts I’ve seen lacked good evidence and some web benchmarks showed no difference between similar 4/6 cores results. Do you have a detailed report?

Here's my own: my 6600K at 4.7ghz absolutely cannot hold 60fps on some maps. It hits 100% on all cores and chokes to 45-50fps especially on Narvik, Fjell and Rotterdam chokepoints. This is on high at 4k with a 1080ti.

64 player conquest is out of the question if you want locked 60fps with 4 threads.

It NEEDS more than 4 threads.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Ultra settings for pve, lowest usable settings for pvp.

For another example; until a month or two ago in overwatch running below 100% render scale and on low settings would increase the size of the team color outline on players which can help a lot with target recognition. Overwatch also renders a lot of extra “stuff” on higher settings that isn’t actually there; usually it’s just in spawns but sometimes you can see through a plant on low settings but not on high.

Tournaments often (and LANs almost always) enforce uniform graphical settings for this reason. For example epic requires max settings to be used for fortnite tournaments.

The cynic in me feels that Epic mandates max settings because tournaments are streamed a lot of the time, not for gameplay reasons

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

8800gt to this day is the most gorgeous piece of hardware I have ever laid eyes upon

You had to be there, in its day it was astounding

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Celerons :whitewater:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' cold, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

If you want some solid content with unbelievable effort put into benchmarking, Hardware Unboxed with Aussie Steve is always good.

Hardware Unboxed has a criminally low amount of subscribers for its quality, it's crazy

At one point the dude did 300~ benchmarks for a single video

edit: 342 benchmark runs for this particular video - he was banned by EA at one point because they detected so many hardware changes

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 31, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I remember VIA and Creative Labs having finger pointing game as to who was to blame for bad audio

They can both gently caress off forever, I remember a decade ago having an expensive 5.1 surround sound system for my PC and it didn't work properly for years because both both companies refused to play ball and wouldn't give the driver functionality in XP nor Vista

The issue was finally resolved in W7 and a hardware upgrade but by that point I had the sound system for half a decade before I finally had output from the rear speakers

Motherboards having their own decent audio solutions is deserved karma for Creative Labs, bunch of shysters

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

whats a 'bare core'

they play it a lot at the gay bar

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

We can consolidate them by having a third, catch-all thread.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

My employer uses atoms for their label printers.
It's just a small system that's the size of a dvd case tucked in behind the printer itself which isn't much larger than a typical PC base unit.
Atom is mostly about size and efficiency over raw power, it's not going to be simulating next year's weather or anything

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I'm guessing after nearly four years of stability, booting up to an 'overclocking failed' error and having to reduce my 6700K from 4.5ghz to 4.3ghz is just down to attrition/wear & tear on the hardware? Temperatures never really go any higher than 70 under load and it has never crashed during games or general stuff. It's only a boot-up thing.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

What voltage were you shoving through it?

In my old x79's case, the PSU died after roughly 8+ years of use, then the Motherboard died about a year later.

CPU still can clock right back to where I had it, with even a tad less voltage than before on a newish used board of the exact same type.

I'm not sure what caused the issue but taking the cmos battery out and putting it back in fixed the issue. A myriad of settings were changed before (and it ran like that for years without any further changes) but it's all been put back to default and I've not had any further issues since then. I think I will leave it alone like this, it's about due an upgrade anyway. I quite fancy a ryzen 4 series/rtx 3 series system a few months from now.

My guess is that the voltage (which was around 1.32v iirc?) was probably getting too high/low for what it needed to run smoothly, wear & tear got to it. Running memory tests all came back fine.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 18, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

6700k has nowhere been near taxed on any of my games, I play at 4k60 and it's always the gpu doing most of the work. The 6700k is easily managing workloads at 60 frames so far. It's got a few years yet.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I know, that's why I referred to the 60 fps in particular. For a guy like me that's just swell enough, but peeps who game at 120+ fps will obviously need a beefier cpu sooner than I will

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still think the Intel and AMD threads should be collapsed into a single x86 thread.

No, you can't sit with us. Get off the 14nm process first loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

DrDork posted:

That said, I'm still long Intel because betting against them has, historically, been a fool's move--they've got more cash and more engineering know-how that pretty much anyone else out there.

That's never under question, it's how Intel is utilizing them.

very poorly, that's how