Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I won the 1st place prize in the intel serious sam lottery and part of the prize is a 10700k.
Im thinking of doing a custom loop ITX for fun, is there a handy tier list of z490 mobos?
What is the sweet spot for ram speed for intel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Also, what's the general strategy for undervolting and / or increasing efficiency for intel these days? Is cache undervolting recommended? What about downclocking cache to get a better core clock? Or what about overclocking cache? Is undervolting iGPU safe when not using it? Does it even do anything? What about igpu unslice?

VCCIO and system agent, as I understand it, might need voltage bumps when overclocking memory and / or enabling XMP profile on memory. I definitely need to push both a touch for my 6700k/z270 asrock to get my 3200 ram xmp profile stable.

same questions as this goon mostly

my 10700k arrived way sooner than I expected so this build is happening sooner than later. Whats the general overclocking strat these days?
The last time I seriously tried was on a 2500k and that was relatively simple. Adjust the multiplier, raise voltage until stable, repeat.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my z490 mobo has 2 display outputs hdmi and DP. Im running a 10700k. Can I power 2 monitors at once? Assuming yes, but I dont deal with onboard enough to know

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremely good news. Not having a gpu might end up being fairly tolerable.

I think a reasonable use for bleep would be enabling it in games without telling anyone. You are free to be a racist bigot spewing hate but no one else can hear you and you are none the wiser. You just think people are ignoring you except for gameplay vital comms

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 8, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fame Douglas posted:

I used one of those Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny systems with two 4k screens for a while, 6th generation CPU, the iGPU really wasn't powerful enough to run that satisfactorily. A video running on the second screen would noticeably lag when doing things on the first screen.

But maybe the experience is better with newer CPUs and a full desktop-TDP.

I can only hope. Its 2 1440p screens but purely for work, mostly word and excell. 10fps would be totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HalloKitty posted:

Old top-end "for the socket" Intel cpus have painfully inflated prices. There's not much you can do without wasting money unless you find someone locally who's splitting a system for dirt cheap

im about to part out a 7700k system and i can let these parts minus the gpu go for dirt cheap