Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Searching on google about the roadmap on the high-end side of the CPUs, I stumbled over this article:
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/9/11/intel-desktop-roadmap-i7-3970k-coming-in-q42c-i7-4900-in-q3-2013.aspx

Summary: i7-3970K in Q4 2012 (will prices go down for the existing ones?)
Ivy Bridge-E in Q3 2013
Still on LGA 2011 socket and on X79 chipset.

So, in theory, if one buys a 2011 MB today, they'll be able to upgrade next year around this time to the new CPU if it proves to be a major power boost. While Haswell doesn't look to be able to hold a candle to the extreme versions :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

I'm pretty sure that all current X79 motherboards will be IVB-E capable. I don't expect prices to budge hugely on current LGA2011 i7s, nor would I expect IVB-E to really be that much faster, no more than IVB is faster than SNB. What are you doing that you're considering an LGA2011 setup, anyway?

But regarding Haswell not being able to hold a candle... Remember how when the i7-2600K came out, it matched or beat the i7-980X in a majority of benchmarks? That hasn't stopped being a thing that can happen.

Uh, not doing much, just developing, testing and simulating things. I run usually from 2-5 VMs at a time, and databases, IDEs , application servers and other crap. Oh and some games and video encoding from time to time. Do I need a 2011? Hell no. Do I want it? Of course.

I am not particularly fond with IB and Haswell trying to push so many things onto the chip. While it does help reduce power consumption, this is not my main concern with a PC, since I mainly use desktop(s) computers. I rarely touch a laptop, and when i do, the power of the device is irrelevant for the task. I prefer to have a CPU that is focused on doing whatever is doing as fast as possible, leaving other things (such as graphics) to the dedicated boards/devices.

You are certainly right about the 980X story. I guess time will tell. Quad channel memory sounds appealing though .

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

We're entering an era where all the new engineering students just have smart phones and tablets and never have done any actual work or tinkering around on their own

In my day we didn't have app stores and if you wanted something done you'd just write a drat program yourself to do it :mad:

"Do you pine for the nice days of minix-1.1, when men were men and wrote their own device drivers?" (Torvalds).

And this is what happens when you have essentially a monopoly of a product. It may not be a big deal at the beginning for most people, but I believe it will hurt in the long term, by having fewer options when looking to buy a new machine.
On the other hand, it'll take some time to get there, and lots of things can happen in the meantime.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

THEY CALL HIM BOSS posted:

drat it. It's not really a surprise, though. Which manufacturer is the closest to making motherboards like Intel's? (with regards to decent on-board components, good layout and configuration of headers/jumpers, informative manual, etc.)

Asus boards tend to be quite decent. I mean...usually better than the rest (Gigabyte, ASRock, etc.). They do have their own flaws though, can't defend them to infinity.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

SlayVus posted:

Anyone know where I compare Intel CPUs clock for clock? Like Say when Broadwell-E comes out on consumer side, I want to compare Haswell to Broadwell-e clock for clock.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php have a list of CPUs and their PassMark. No idea how they obtain it, but if they're half decent it should give you an idea how much faster a certain CPU is compared to another one.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

What if I want to have 20+ VMs all running some instance of a free MMO trying to mine gold/currency/items?

Then you know what you need and you don't have to ask for confirmation in this thread.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
If anyone in :canada: was in the market for an i7-6850K CPU, Newegg has it on sale for $700. While still an outrageous price, its better than the non-sale one. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117647

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Hopefully the MB makers will be more prepared than they were with Ryzen.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
According to this apparently 2066 socket is identical to 2011 socket. So, can I hope that my Noctua that's been cooling my SB-E (2011 socket) since 2012 will be reusable on the new platform without any modifications? I don't think that i still have my cooler's receipt, since it's been so long.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

craig588 posted:

The 2011 conversion kit was really cheap too if you didn't remember where you bought it. I think I paid 11 dollars for it. I don't think they're planning to make much money off conversion kit sales even if you do end up needing to buy one.

Oh, I know where i bought it from, i just don't have the receipt. But, i wasn't even aware that they offered the conversion kit for sale. At $11 (hell even at $20), i wouldn't even bother looking for proof that I bought the cooler earlier (though, now looking at Noctua's website, they do say that writing your name/email on a piece of paper and taking a picture of it with the cooler is a good enough proof). But, since they say that 2011 is identical to 2066, i may not even have to do anything, just pop it in.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

priznat posted:

I do like that no one cares even in the Intel thread to mention the discontinuation of Itanium that was announced recently.

Rest in piss, Itanium. Owned by amd64. (A rare win)

Wasn't itanium only kept for the last decade because HP wanted them to? Itanium died the second AMD announced amd64 back in 2000, it was just on life support since then.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

eames posted:

Yeah that's the only explanation. Same deal with monitors, keyboards, mice... any gaming related computer component really. I simply refuse to buy this blingy stuff figuring that it'll eventually stop because there can't be that many teenagers with the disposable income for these higher end parts. It'd make sense to me if the low end budget parts had (dirt cheap) colorful LEDs and the higher end stuff looked more subdued, like Asus' old workstation mainboards, but it's the other way around. :psyduck:

I thought that the 16:9 aspect ratio fad (hell, anything but the trusty 4:3) would just simply go away when normal people (you know, those who actually use computers to program stuff) would just simply start realize how lovely they are and stop buying them. That was more than 10 years ago. I was wrong, they never realized how lovely they are, and they even went now and made 21:9 monsters. And they upped the price to the relatively acceptable 16:10 monitor to astronomic levels, if you can even find any.

LEDs on the motherboard? gently caress that, nobody looks there. 16:9 on the monitor? Now I'm pissed.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

On the other hand, triple-monitor 27" surround setups :shrug:

now that 4K 60 Hz gameplay is plausible, you should pretty much be able to keep a triple-monitor 1440p setup above like 45 fps (which is Gsync territory). Single or dual 1180 Tis will probably do a good job. And now you have a 165 Hz refresh rate, if you can drive it.

The only resolution where 16:9 would very remotely tolerable would be 4k (or the bastardization of it that it is). 1440 is well below that barrier.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Tom's Hardware just published a review The Skylake-X Mess Explored: Thermal Paste And Runaway Power. Some interesting tidbits:

1) Skylake-X at its stock settings can barely be cooled during normal operation.
2) There’s barely any room for enthusiasts to overclock.
3) Although we're using some of the highest-end and most expensive cooling hardware available, we still measure up to a whopping 71 Kelvin difference between the cores' reported temperature and the heat spreader's top

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Sturdy little beasts, aren't they.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Is it really acting like a ferocious competitor when the opposition is just tripping over themselves on purpose and calling it a performance

Count your blessings. Take whatever you can get.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I feel like the addition of built-in wireless is cool but I still don't see a reason to upgrade from Sandy Bridge.

Threadripper?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
My only experience with a Gigabyte motherboard was back in 2003-2004 era. I had a Geforce 2 video card and the new MB+CPU+RAM I just bought would just not lit up. A friend brought me his video card (a Geforce 4) and everything worked perfectly.

Conclusion: they hosed up on their voltages, or in some way or another did not meet the specs required by the older video card. A new videocard worked fine. I've used that motherboard (after having to buy a GF 4) for a few years, but to be honest there was nothing much about it. The dual-bios thingy was a nice reassuring feature, but I never had to use it, unlike the "flash BIOS from the USB slot" of my asus MB.

Another anecdote: I bought a few years back a 3ware hardware RAID card ($400, hardware RAID 5 ... eh). I put it in my ASUS motherboard, everything was peachy. I've read on forums that gigabyte motherboards were not able to run that card since they did not supply the required current (voltages?) to the PCI-E cards that 3ware needed. Actually, the only way to run those cards was either on a server-level motherboard or on ASUS ones. Therefore, YMMV. I, for one, would never ever touch an Gigabyte motherboard again.

But I do have a Gigabyte 970 GPU running now in my PC, bought a long time ago, and is running smoothly and never had a problem with it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
The BIOS flash button of my motherboard saved my bacon a few times. And it also allowed me to patch my BIOS to make my MB support booting off nvme drive. I would not buy a MB without that button if I could help it. And they were the first that I know of that had that little nice dongle for the case power cables. So much nicer to work with. ASUS is the go-to mb vendor. But I never had to contact support though, so no idea how they behave there.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 2, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

SuperTeeJay posted:

An Overclockers UK staffer has described their stock levels of 'K' Coffee Lakes as "practically zero".

Welp. I thought I'd outgrown mashing F5.

What does "practically zero" mean? You have some but you can't sell them because you promised your brother in law and your dog and your neighbor you'd get them one of these fancy cpus?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

hitze posted:

Welp bought my motherboard so now to play the game of trying to get a god drat 8700k

Are there any reviews out there yet? Tech sites? Or did you just buy it ... because? Then again, thank you for your enthusiasm, if it burns down houses I'll know to stay away from it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I'll probably be going too from a 3930K to an 8700K. Not really willing to throw money at the HEDT platforms anymore, even if gaming is a secondary/tertiary usage for me.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Goonerousity posted:

I just happened to buy a 6500k with 16GB of DDR4 and a Z270 motherboard about one day before Intel launched their new CPU/chipset, efficiently wasting money.

It's still ok fast. On FreeBSD, using a RAID5 software ZFS/array with 3x 128gb ssds, with -j8 and ccache, the kernel compiles in about 2 minutes.

Heh. With the latest and greatest CPU you may be able to cut that time in half. Compiling on tmpfs even more so (Linus got his kernel compiled in a bunch of seconds some time ago on tmpfs). Then again ... isn't 2 minutes enough? In my days it would take me 40min to 1 hour for the drat thing.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Walked posted:

Someone talk me out of buying a 7900X. I know I dont need it but for some reason I want it way more than I reasonably should.

(I do a lot of compiling Go and Virtual Machines / docker, so there's some justification, but I cant say my 5820k is exactly a slouch).

According to the reviews that I have seen a 7820x is a much better value than 7900x. A bit slower but quite a lot cheaper. But if you can keep the same platform (MB maybe?) and only buy the CPU then obviously a 69XXK becomes very attractive.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-S-H-C...wYAAOSwKoRZYBb3

Use a vice. Takes bout 10 seconds.

I had to trim mine a little with a razor blade but i talked to the guy who sells em on reddit and he said mine was just warped and shouldn't have gone out.

Do they come with instructions on how to delid, or they pretty much assume that you know what you're doing?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Meh, Linus toadies gloat about how Linux won because it's everywhere so I won't fault a man for rubbing some stuff back in their face

While I'm sure that now MINIX is indeed extremely used (most intel MBs), I kinda doubt that is the most widely used OS. QNX held that crown for quite a few decades and while Linux has taken some of the work old QNX did in certain areas, there are still a shitload of little chips deployed all over the world that control all kinds of machinery. Linux, even if you count Android as Linux (nah), still is nowhere near that kind of usage.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

This new system is rapidly turning into a bit of a money pit. :psyduck:

Welcome to the club. As you have discovered, the lessons are not free.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Those more than hundred million dollars sure doesn't pay for competent coders.

It barely pays for a yacht, what programmers?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Kraznich should go to jail with the Equifax C-suite.

Surely you mean:

Get $10m bonus, like the Equifax C-suite.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

drat those prices. I guess not that surprising but $999 for the 100watt without any ram or storage, and with only space for M.2 slots - yikes

Is not a lot for what you get though. The total bill will be around $1500 for a full computer, a quite capable one at that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

movax posted:

The most frustrating thing about this whole debacle is how amazingly lovely the handling has been. There’s no clear information on what’s affected (you’d think someone would make an info graphic), there’s no easy tool that indicates whether you are patched or not (PowerShell scripts are probably too hard for your average user), tech “journalists” continue to prove they aren’t worthy of respect, and some of the patches make the problem worse.

And the internal disclosure was months and months ago. I guess arguably Apple has done the smoothest job so far, but they’ve been loving up in other ways.

I know the priority was to handle the largest customers, but I don’t know enough about Web app land to comment on how badly AWS/etc got hosed besides performance losses (I.e., side effects).

e: oh but don’t worry, both bugs got cute logos for websites to use in their articles. loving chodes

Linux (Fedora 27, 4.11) was smooth sailing as well. A lot of people worked fantastically hard to make it happen, but i didn't even noticed. And for my workload i don't see any performance penalty (didn't run actual benchmarks though). I didn't boot windows in months, I'm scared of what will be there when I actually will.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
My x299 motherboard has posted a new BIOS version with the following description

quote:

- Update Intel Micro code for security vulnerabilities
It was posted on Feb 1st. Is this the good fix or should I wait a while to see if they recall this one as well?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Cygni posted:

As was leaked earlier in that document that showed the new X399 compatibility, the bizarro Kaby Lake X CPUs (7640X and 7740X) are officially end of life.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12701/intel-announces-eol-plan-for-kaby-lakex-processors

They never had a chance. Poor little ones.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Cygni posted:

Also in Intel news, Optane DIMMs have arrived in a limited basis, branded "Optane DC Persistent Memory". Up to 512gb/module with ECC, only being shipped to "select partners" this year, with wide availability next year (likely with Cascade Lake?)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12828/intel-launches-optane-dimms-up-to-512gb-apache-pass-is-here

I eagerly await on a new set of vulnerabilities where programs are going to be able to read the password that was stored in "persistent memory" last month.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Intel isn't exactly new to this game and I would expect there to be a background routine that overwrites on free asynchronously.
Nobody is "new to this game". Every big corporation out there is perfectly capable of employing strong security-minded people. However, as the history shows us, they don't. Or they do, but they pay them to shut up (no idea, just guessing). Why? Because they don't care. Nobody gives a flying gently caress about anything until a vulnerability is found and there's bad press about it. At which point, in my opinion, is too late. They only care about the next quarter and the bonus that follows if targets are met. Everything else is irrelevant. Microsoft only started taking security seriously when the very existence of the company was in danger.

But hey, I can't wait to use Optane DIMMs too. To have persistent memory at RAM speeds ... yeah, sign me up.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

movax posted:

I don’t really do the YouTube, why does he suck?

Raid 0 over 4 raid 5s? Or some bullshit like that. And then one drive died and he lost everything on that server. Or the othe rtime he spent 24 hours to build a computer. That didn't boot .

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Xae posted:

His setup was 5% less than optimal.

His setup was catastrophic. Could it have been worse? Sure, I guess . 100 drives in Raid 0. Could it have been not-catastrophic? Not with Linus. 5% less optimal would have meant to have a half-an-hour downtime. He went above and beyond the call of duty on that one.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Schiavona posted:

How hard is it not to bang an employee, Jesus.

As we can see ... impossible.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Buying anything other than the Z370/Z390 is shortsighted for any build that isn't a momputer that will absolutely under no circumstances ever be gamed on or remotely contemplated for an upgrade.

If your thought process is "I'm going to buy an 8700 but..." then just stop and buy the Z370. You're already buying at least $300 of processor+mobo. Put in an extra two hours at Burger King and spend the extra $20 so you can run XMP speeds today, and throw in a cheap upgrade in 3 years without having to buy a used mobo and tear your rig apart to install it. It's the cheapest insurance you will ever get in PC building.

I'm sorry, but the concept of "future-proofing" in computers has been (time and time again) demonstrated to be a fools errand. Yes, there are generations in which one could potentially upgrade the CPU and not the MB, or the MB and not the CPU , or just throw a bit of RAM in there, etc. Overall, however, people do not do that. Me included, I upgrade rarely enough that by the time I want a new CPU I have to go the full monty with a MB and new RAM. Just last year I upgraded from my almost 10 year old CPU to the brand new shining x299 platform. It works great, the i9 is amazing. Can I upgrade to the new CPU in 2 years? Hahahahaha, of course not, what are you talking about?

Buy the PC you need today, not the one you will not need tomorrow. When tomorrow comes and you realize that you need a better/faster/whatever computer, odds are you wouldnt have been able to upgrade from the old one anyway, and even if you would have, the cost would have not been justified at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Hold The Ashes posted:

Newegg price leak for Z390 Godlike is $857 :monocle:

Holy mother ... Wtf are they selling for 857? Will it make coffee in the morning? Walk the dog? Beat the kids?