Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Paul MaudDib posted:

Got my 5820k up and running - did a quick Handbrake run and it's roughly twice as fast as my 4690K was there :getin:

And actually I'm not even clocking up all the way or hitting full utilization - I'm hanging out at 2.97 GHz (90% frequency) and ~85% utilization. Hmph, must be bottlenecking somewhere, or Handbrake isn't using enough threads, or something...

It's great isn't it? My 6900k is more than 100% quicker on my handbrake runs than my 3570k @ 4.6 was.

I've found the same issue that you report. If you're doing two-pass with a turbo first pass, you will see far less than full CPU utilisation on that pass. I believe some code used in those fast pass settings is not well threaded and so holds up the overall process. On the proper final pass, CPU usage is 100% though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
As someone who just moved from a i5 3570k @ 4.6 to x99 and 6900k @ 4.4, I would say Broadwell-E or HEDT in general is your best bet if you want to buy new. Haswell-E is still good, will save you some cash and can overclock more readily than Broadwell-E.

Nothing in Kaby Lake is going to do anything much for you. It's rumored to just have a few desktop SKUs and its only real improvement is support for Intel's new bonkers storage products (xpoint/optane).
If things follow previous years, which isn't necessarily a given nowadays, Skylake-E would be released around June 2018, which is quite a wait.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Boiled Water posted:

Give it another 7-10 years and they'll have another go at it, preferably with less "the world is ending" narrative.

edit: Also less romance narrative cause god drat.

Edit edit: Back in Intel land I have an m.2 ssd and a PCI-e card with an m.2 slot on it. When I attempt to combine the two with my z87 board (I got for cheap please don't judge me) the ssd does not show up.

Need much more info. Is the storage m.2 SATA or m.2 NVMe?

You'll need 4 free pci-e lanes for NVMe I believe and chances are unless your motherboard has a PLX chip, you're limited to 16 lanes total.

Also the board may not support booting from that device or NVMe devices at all. Z87 is quite old and NVMe rather recent. Motherboard vendor would need to add support post release.
Make sure you're using the most recent motherboard firmware.

You may also need to have the system in EFI mode as opposed to BIOS or legacy mode if the disk is NVMe.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
Heh..so Intel are basically re-releasing last year's CPU but replacing the TIM with solder and bumping the clock up 10%. Yikes. That R&D money really must all be going into what happens after "7nm".

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Paul MaudDib posted:

You already need to use Edge (or the Windows Store app, which runs embedded Edge) to get 1080p. Chrome and FireFox are 720p max

You can also use IE11 to stream at 1920x1080.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Combat Pretzel posted:

Doesn't seem entirely right. Some content only plays in 720p in Edge, some even just in standard definition, but 1080p in the WinStore app. Which suggests something else is going on.

--edit: Weird, I just looked at it closer, it's a HTML+JS WinStore app. So why the gently caress doesn't Edge in itself play everything at maximum, if it's the same runtime? The web interface is more pleasing than what the WinStore one displays.

Well, he's correct. Edge and IE11 are the only supported (Windows) browsers for 1920x1080 and Edge is the only supported browser for 4K.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

Netflix posted:

Resolution:

Google Chrome up to 720p
Internet Explorer up to 1080p
Microsoft Edge up to 4K*
Mozilla Firefox up to 720p
Opera up to 720p
Safari up to 1080p on Mac OS X 10.10.3 or later

*Streaming in 4K requires an HDCP 2.2 compliant connection to a 4K capable display, Intel's 7th generation Core CPU, and the latest Windows updates. Check with the manufacturer of your system to verify specifications.

Obviously not all content in the catalogue is available at 1920x1080. You can use CTRL+Shift+ALT+d to inspect the stream. But yeah, naturally the App should play a title at the same fidelity that the Edge browser does. Sometimes you have to wait a while for the software to detect available bandwidth and increase the resolution of the stream. Perhaps that's all that's happening?

You can also use CTRL+Shift+ALT+s to force the highest bitrate stream available for the title. There is a test title in the catalogue that I use to check bitrates sometimes. I've got it saved to my list but I've no idea how to link to it and it doesn't show up in search results any longer. =(

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
The rumour I read that seems at least plausible was that MacBooks would get an ARM chip to handle certain functions when the laptop is asleep. Like get patches or check messages.
There's already a custom ARM CPU in the current MacBook Pro that controls the touchbar.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Three-Phase posted:

One other question - do any of you folks have a recommendation for a hardware monitor (like temperature, fans, etc.) for use in Windows 10?

HWinfo

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Extremely interesting data published by Silicon Lottery.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
I put FLACs on sdcards. Check mate. :smug:

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Shaocaholica posted:

10th gen still 14nm right?

10th and 11th.
11th will be Rocket Lake, which is supposed to be a new architecture that was originally meant to release on 10nm. It's being back-ported to 14nm. There'll be no 10nm desktop parts from Intel until some time into 2021.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

hiya i'm trying to overclock my reliable old 4690k. i want to do a mild overclock to 4.2ghz, nothing huge, mostly just to help with playing kerbal space program as that game is mostly cpu. trouble is, the overclocking options in my z97 uefi just aren't sticking for some reason. or rather, some are, i upped the voltage to 1.10 as a start and that sticks, but the actual clock speed isn't, it's still at 3.5ghz no matter what i do. i tried using the auto settings built in for different overclocks, that didn't work (tried both my target of 4.2, as well as every other option), i tried manually changing poo poo, that didn't work, i followed a setp-by-step video walkthrough, that didn't work. i haven't tried overclocking a cpu in some 20 years so it's possible (extremely likely) that i'm just a fuckin idiot, but does anyone have any good resources, or any idea why the hell the clock speed won't change but the voltage does no problem?

How are you concluding that the clock speed isn't changing? If you're booting into Windows and finding your CPU is not clocked as expected and aren't running any CPU clock modification software, then you might be getting screwed by Microsoft. As a mitigation against various CPU exploits, Microsoft put out several microcode patches. These DLLs just don't apply the BIOS clock settings. This problem definitely hits Haswell-E and Broadwell-E as it breaks my overclock, but I wasn't aware it affected Haswell too.

To fix this you have to boot into Safe Mode and rename the System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll file so it can't be loaded. Future Windows patches will probably cause this to be undone and you'll have to keep doing this to use an overclock.

Newer systems aren't hit by this, because the CPUs either have mitigations baked into the silicon, or the motherboard vendors include them in the microcode. With these old systems, the motherboard vendor obviously does not go back and make BIOS patches to fix these security bugs, so Microsoft took this step.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the about for my pc displays 4690k 3.5ghz 3.5ghz (it should displays 3.5ghz and then whatever the overclock is after that), the clock speed on task manager never rises above 3.49ghz, and cpu-z displays my clock speed as 3.5 ghz

i'll try the rest of what you said and report back. if i have to keep fuckin with things over time to keep the overclock, that's irritating, but whatever i guess.

Task Manager and CPU-Z are reading fixed info about your CPU specs I believe. Use something like HWINFO to read the actual realtime clock under Windows. Doesn't seem like you need to rename DLLs just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
There are several vendors with > 4800 DDR5 DIMMs announced, but I'm not sure about modules supporting ECC outside of the DIMM itself. I don't keep up with news in workstation/server spaces.