Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Seeing the i3 variants not being overclockable is tremendously disappointing. I was looking at building a cheap pc for running dolphin and pcsx2 emulators (they only use 2 cores). Having a ~$100 4.5ghz cpu would have rocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Still a bloody thousand dollars for an 8-core cpu! The future sucks.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Boiled Water posted:

Not being able to utilize eight cores for sweet fps sucks even more.

Well it looks like vulkan/dx12 might be changing that. Still at the whim of terrible game programmers, but the potential is there.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

japtor posted:

Asked in the part picking thread here but got no replies so trying here. tl;dr version: is i5-6500 w/stock cooler ok in a small case (Ncase M1)? And is 450W fine for pretty much any GPU I'd pair it with? Not that I plan to get a high end GPU or anything, but just want to future proof it enough in case.

Yep, the i5-6500 is only 65watt, so you're fine for power and unlikely to have any problems with heat. The new nvidia cards sip power (just 120watt for the 1060), which makes powering and cooling them easier too.

Worse comes to worse, you can always pick up a new cooler for the cpu if you find it gets too hot.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Malcolm XML posted:

Also the TIM thing is a stealth way of forcing you to void your warranty and also saves intel a few bucks since soldering dies is quite complex

It's still inexcusable on a $600+ part. Unless coffee lake is amazeballs I'm going with the next version of Zen.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The new cache layout and inter-core connects on skylake-x really don't agree with some games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DrDork posted:

But I thought they were re-architected for l33t performance, unlike AMD's glued together cores?

Yeah it's funny, if the software is smart enough to stay within a single 4-core unit on Zen, it'll run far better than on sky-x. Be interesting to see who makes the first 8-core monolithic module.