Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Wedesdo posted:

I want the cheapest motherboard with:

* x8/x8 PCIe slots. None of this stupid x16/x4 crap that some manufacturers are doing.
* EFI
* Not poo poo quality.

I wonder if I can get a board like that for $100.

Well, for what it's worth, I was just at Fry's here in San Diego, and they had the Asus P8P67 Evo and Pro in stock. I picked up the Evo for just over $200, but the Pro was priced reasonably below that, around $140 if I remember correctly, so you should probably be able to pick up the base model P8P67 for $100 or just above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Phalex posted:

Ah, cool thanks. I was looking at the Ripjaw, but was afraid its weird Bart Simpson hair would get in the way. Ripjaw is probably overkill anyway, so I can save money for when I inevitably lose my consumer inhibitions and buy a 256 gig SSD.

If you're looking at something else, maybe a bit pricier, but I just installed the Corsair A70 on my P8P67 Evo today. I'm using the Ripjaws, and it fits with just a smidge of clearance over the top of the RAM heatsinks, and keeps my chip nice and cool. I'm currently running my 2600k OC'd to 4.5GHz and ran an hour of Prime95 stress testing and temps never made it above 70 degrees C.

EDIT: And it was only $35 after MIR when I ordered it, so it didn't hit the wallet too bad, either.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

The_Franz posted:

Do any of you P8P67 owners have an issue with it not detecting your USB keyboard during POST? Unless I specifically hold a key down it wrongly detects my keyboard as a USB hub and I get that "NO Keyboard" message during boot. Even if the BIOS doesn't detect it, it still works fine once the OS loads though.

Aside from that, so far so good. I'm stable at 4.2 with the stock cooler and I'm loving it so far. I've tried up to 4.5 and it runs fine and stays under 1.35v, but given that stress testing at 4.2 can put the temperature into the upper 70s I want to get a better cooler before doing any real testing at higher clock speeds.

Do you have legacy device support turned on in your UEFI? I haven't tested it with my P67 board, but I know on older ASUS boards I have had, without it on, it gave all kinds of strange behavior with USB input devices.