Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

pcgamesn.com posted:

Gregory Bryant, Intel's head of PC gubbins, said the first Core i7 X-series chips and the 10-core Core i9 will be available next week, with pre-orders for the 'mega-tasking' (bleurgh) 12-, 14-, 16- and 18-core processors also kicking off at the same time.

While the more mainstream, though still pricey, CPUs will be on sale in June, the big chips will be hitting the retailers from August through to October this year. You know, should you want to drop $2,000 on a CPU.

I found AMDs 1 week of pre-orders for Ryzena bit on the nose. Really not sure how I feel about pre-orders starting next week for a CPU you won't get until sometime in October... holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ostensibly there's some benchmarks of the Threadripper 1950X out (3.4GHz). Linear scaling based on clockrate should be 30,7% compared to the 2.6GHz of the 16C/32T Xeon used as reference. On single-threaded, the TR only around 8-17% faster than the 30% slower clocked Xeon. In multi-threaded, the Xeon wipes the floor with the TR. The gently caress knows how turboing influences it all.

Wccftech, so salt etc.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-specs-performance-leak/

So yeah, still 7820X for me it is for now.

Very likely a fake since a R7-1700X will hit around the same score at 3.4GHz.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
So maybe I'm talking poo poo, but could the fact that the Skylake X chips are both not soldered and clocked high be simply due to Ryzen? It seems like ~5 months should be enough time to react and plan on soldering the drat chips, but I don't know enough about how these things are made to say.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Also posted this in the AMD thread, why do we still not have a single CPU thread?

Two threads about AdoredTVs latest video:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/6ppse9/intel_anticompetitive_anticonsumer_antitechnology/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6pppdz/intels_antitrust_practices_since_the_1980s/

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
AdoredTV has a real hateboner for Intel, and I love it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSI6N6RKd5A

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

lovely OEM PC has a low TDP limit set? Well I never.

Let me know when you've finished watching it.

Ok, I know you won't watch it but whatever

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, because I trust the same loving Linux people who kept parroting that AMD's Spectre fix was to flat-out disable the branch predictor with being able to read a technical manual well enough to update microcode.

Those same loving people who just happen to be a completely different group of people? Debian has nothing to do with OpenSUSE other than packaging some of the same software.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

drat are we still buying in to the sensationalism , two weeks later? Imagine if people on Facebook actually cared about computers.

While all of the YouTubers seem relieved that it isn't going to affect their video rendering times, and gamers are satisfied that it won't affect most games, this still discounts a very large group of professionals: software developers.

The infrastructure that their software runs on will be affected, and so will their workstations where they develop it.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

While true, these are also some of the groups least able to "just wait it out" for fixed hardware. If the fixes cumulatively make a substantial performance impact, their only real option is to simply purchase more capacity. That's it. End of story.

I was just responding to the idea that it's sensationalised.

For me at least it made sense to go Ryzen 1700 as as an upgrade last year. More threads was more useful than absolute speed, especially when trying to replicate a complicated server setup locally with virtual machines. The slowest part of web development has always been the database, if I lost performance there I'd notice it right away and I imagine it would be much the same for anyone with a Xeon workstation.

I actually upgraded from an i3-6100 desktop and also a MacBook Pro that work supplied. Both of these were absolutely excruciatingly slow when dealing with larger website databases. I'm talking about pages taking multiple seconds to render where on the production environment they take less than a tenth of a second.

But many people I know work on similar awful hardware, loosing 10-15% of database performance would absolutely loving suck. It's bloody frustrating when you're just trying to iterate on an idea quickly and the page load just drags on forever.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Quick show of hands how many goons are gamers and how many are software devs. What do these Venn diagrams look like?

What does this have to do with anything? Even if there are more gamers here than developers, that doesn't mean anyone is "buying the sensationalism".

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

The objection has mostly been that the majority of people vocally concerned about performance loss are those who admit to primarily gaming or doing office type stuff, or are holding on to ancient hardware, etc. Basically the people least affected are complaining the most.

Everyone here has pretty much acknowledged that the server-side of things took a punch to the face, but those people are generally not the ones complaining about it, oddly enough.

Fair enough, I've not really seen anything about it except here, Ars, and a couple of YouTubers who are mostly saying "it's not a problem for games".

DrDork posted:

Also, if your dev environment is 100x slower than your production one, that's a good argument for a solid upgrade regardless of recent events.

Tell me about it. There's just not enough processing power in a dual core to run a website that relies on a lot of services to be running. Most of my collegues would be better off running Linux of some variety, except there's still some Mac specific software that has it's fingers right up there with a really tight grip.

Thankfuly I think we're starting to see the end of that, as design focused web apps are starting to be feature compatible with desktop design software.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Khorne posted:

I've never found local databases to be a bottleneck, but I also can ssh port forward to dev databases for larger data sets.

Yeah, before work went remote only we used to have an office with a central development server, then it didn't matter as all we needed to run was a web browser, a text editor and sometimes Photoshop.

Currently it's more a combination of legacy code and an architechture revolving around caching that cannot be used while developing. For simple applications it's ok, but when you've got 4 threads and every page relies upon 8 or more virtualised services things are not always so smooth.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Windows 1.0 also runs in dosbox, and is the first version of windows to support snapping windows side by side.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

From the article:

quote:

Update: in a statement, Intel says: We have been working with these researchers and we have determined the method they describe is similar to previously known side channel exploits. We anticipate that existing software mitigations for previously known side channel exploits, such as the use of side channel resistant cryptography, will be similarly effective against the method described in this paper.

Could it be that these are already patched?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

r/AMD is the reason that I am perceived as unreasonably biased against AMD products. I read+argue against that poo poo all day and I just have no sympathy for those shenanigans here.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reddit is a game of chinese whispers that becomes totally disconnected from the underlying technical fundamentals. And if I try to point that out, I become the wet blanket who hates AMD.

I agree with everything else you said, but you had to spoil it with a load of complete bollocks.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Haha, and that's the tone policing right there. You agree with all of my points, just not with the point that I'm using them to make.

What?

You've explained that you just don't want to get burned again and that's why you're biased to think negatively of AMD, which would be perfectly fine except you then like to make posts where you pretend to be objective and get super offended when someone suggests you might be overly negative. You should not be surprised when people get frustrated by this behaviour.

There is no conspiracy against you, it's your own actions and how you choose to present yourself that cause this.

As I said, I agree with you that r/AMD is garbage, I just disagree with your assertion that therefore anyone who calls you out for your poo poo is an r/AMD nutjob.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

What? No, I argued that r/AMD has repeatedly hyped themselves into a bunch of technically-indefensible positions, and that I try to be the voice of reason here, despite the bleedover between SA and Reddit. I don't like seeing technically-indefensible arguments made here, and I call them out when I see them.

Anyone is more than free to call me out on claims they think are indefensible, most recently on the whole "CTS labs = fake news" thing that I actually turned out to be 100% right on. But people get too upset about the tone, and they miss the whole part where I repeatedly said "serious vunerability, limited impact, will be quickly patched", because they are emotionally invested in "zero vulnerability, zero impact".

That's actually happened quite a lot. Ryzen has not overtaken Kaby's IPC, it does have some persistent memory/opcache stability problems (and/or needs more expensive RAM), CTS actually did find some legit exploits, etc. People just don't like the tone of me pointing those things out.

But by all means, the raison d'etre of this forum is technical poo poo, we're supposed to call it out when something is technically-indefensible on this forum. Go for it, as long as it's a technically-substantiative argument.

Considering the questionable nature of the CTS release I think it was fair to dismiss it until it was verified by a third party. None of us had access to the actual white-paper which is what we would need to verify that the exploits where real ourselves. Your suspicions about the nature of the vulnerability were just that, suspicions.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I was not emotionally invested in there being no impact on AMD, if anything I was more emotionally invested in how poo poo capitalism can be. You're not going to get to the nuance of things if your first reaction to everything is getting defensive that someone disagreed with you.

We all need to have a little more patience. It's more satisfying to give people enough rope to hang themselves than it is to write a rant about what you think they believe and miss the mark.

Edit: why are we arguing about this in the loving Intel thread.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 8, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's completely fair on the CTS thing from an academic perspective, but my train of thought was that nobody would actually report "root access lets you do root things" as an exploit. Intuition: they have a weird disclosure policy. I read into the vulnerabilities exactly what I was supposed to read into the vulnerabilities. AMD confirmed it, everyone who downplayed it was wrong.

As for getting defensive, I also literally pointed out that Intel had had a similar exploit less than 6 months ago. I have no horse in this race. It's literally going to be patched in weeks, I am astonished it's not patched already. CTS Labs were always wrong on the whole "AMD can't patch this" bullshit and I said as much.

You're posting is good for the most part, it's just on occasion you get super odd about it and I don't know why because I'm not in your head.

quote:

My greatest wish of all is that nobody would respond emotionally and just tell me in pure technical terms why I'm a loving idiot for thinking what I am. I really detest the whole "it's paul ignore it" cheerleading. That poo poo actually isn't even supposed to be allowed on SA. If I'm wrong tell me why.

If there's one thing you can be sure of it's that people will get emotional about anything at any time. I'm trying to give up my angry internet guy tendencies, I used to be one of those atheists before the alt-right infested that community. I'd try and be hyper rational about everything, write big long rants and shout at people on twitter.

That's just not a productive way to talk to people, emotions are a critical part of human experience and expecting everyone else to always be on their A-game is unreasonable. At the end of the day it comes down to social skills, some people are really good at making an argument without being a dick about it, you and I not so much.

I guess this does make it about tone? I'm not really sure because nobody has ever explained what they mean by a "tone argument" to me. I'll just point out that there's a reason people like Richard Dawkins and Richard Stallman are basically a joke, they may technically be right, but they're also such a pair of dicks (hah) that everyone has a hard time taking them seriously.

quote:

(I do have a stake in the Spectre/Meltdown incident, as a 5820K owner, but time has proven that it's a non-issue for consumer usage... and most usage except DB and web-front-ends. Which is not something I am personally invested in, lol)

I've got about 40 web servers to look after, all with Intel hardware running. That was quite alarming time for me even if the net effect was negligible, it did cause undue worry and stress.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Lian Li PC-V1000

:chloe:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

If your fans aren't glowing red you're doing it wrong

If your case has a window it is ugly and you should feel bad for liking tacky crap.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

TLDR; dude, bro, did you know capitalism is bad and exploits people???

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Winks posted:

The constant fanboy clashes would be really funny for a little while, then really awful.

When was the last "fanboy clash" though?

I'd like to just check one place for CPU news.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Chuu posted:

I also am involved in some HPC projects, but nothing to do with computational chemistry. taskset/numactl plus some simple shell scripts is definitely the way to go here. One optional additional step, you can set the affinity of kernel threads and the default affinity for threads to specific cores so they arn't booting a random worker thread.

edit: About those images above, I'd love to hear the story of how AMD won the marketing war among the dumb enthusiasts before Zen was a thing.

I don't think they did, you all bought Intel.

Just kidding of course, Bulldozer was bad, and the last AMD CPU I purchased before Ryzen was a 1.2GHz Duron.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Yay... another Hyper-Threading exploit...

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/11/intel-cpus-fall-to-new-hyperthreading-exploit-that-pilfers-crypto-keys/
https://github.com/bbbrumley/portsmash

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

A busy box based user land is “full” Linux. You’re free to waste flash and RAM on a “real” user land if you want. All you need for a full Linux is a mmu.

Please don't be the Linux pedant that everyone hates.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
There's now Pipewire which is a video and audio transport that is compatible with Pulse and jack APIs. It's still in early development, but it looks like it'll make pro audio and video a bunch easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
There are a lot of things people do that benefit from SMT, what the gently caress are you on about with this "not a big deal" nonsense? These days even your web browser can use shitloads of threads.