Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

HalloKitty posted:

I don't believe it's even barely adequate; I've always said that the stock cooler should never be used with a 4790K. Plenty of examples of people out there saying it throttles with it, bone stock. Just throwing away performance.

Yeah but it's free :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Combat Pretzel posted:

That is implied in all of this.

Except the quad cores are very likely outperforming your 6 core?

I know the i5-6600k I want to upgrade to blows my current Phenom II X6 1090t out of the water, for instance.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Paul MaudDib posted:

He mentioned he's got a 5820K, so it's not like he's running AMD. A 5820K will blow away a 6700K let alone a 6600K in anything productivity-related, and it does just fine in games too particularly if you OC.

Skylake's IPC improvements over Haswell/Broadwell just aren't that big, especially when you're talking about DDR4-based quad-channel Haswell-E taking memory improvements out of the equation.

I missed his processor type so I assumed AMD, whoops

I don't see the need for that processor to be upgraded for a loooong time

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

redeyes posted:

140w cpus are no joke overclocked to 4Ghz:

This is using a Coolermaster Hyper 612 which is a drat large air cooler with 6 heat pipes. Never thought I'd say this, but water cooling might have been a better idea.

Thought about trying the Noctua NH-D15? In benchmarks it's super close to water cooling if not better than half the AIO coolers

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

HalloKitty posted:

It would be my first port of call (well, the NH-D15S, so you don't block the top slot on your 2011 board) before I went to custom water cooling loop crazy town.

Yeah, I plan on getting a board that has a 1x slot to be blocked by the cooler with a 16x under it for this very reason. The cooler is loving massive but goddamn it's good.

redeyes posted:

That was the next cooler on my list actually.. for double the price.

It's slightly cheaper than most AIO water solutions. If you want high end you have to pay for it, unfortunately

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

feedmegin posted:

I do this poo poo for a living so a little less snark, thanks.

You're being a dick, too. Who gives a poo poo if you do it for a living.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

LiquidRain posted:

I wanted a PCIe sound card. :saddowns:

Any particular reason?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Palladium posted:

Looking at AMD's track record since Phenom, hyping Zen this early is never a good sign.

I'm still on my Phenom II X6, mostly since the next chips that came out had a worse IPC and then following that were barely better :psyduck:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

LiquidRain posted:

I can't believe hardware decoding is still as much of a mess as it was when it first started arriving with the GeForce 9400 GT. The only program I trust to use it as much as it can is Windows Media Player. :downs:

MPC-HC does a pretty good job these days.

VLC is still lovely with it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Don Lapre posted:

The sony exclusives like zero dawn and last of us are worth putting the others aside

But the joke of a racing sim that everyone loves called Forza is worth it.

Trust me.