Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I understand that intel CPUs with the added "T" are downclocked to stay within a certain TDP range of 35 Watts. So what is the difference between a model with a higher model-number that is downclocked to a CPU with a lower serial number to begin with?
E.g. Let's compare an i3 4130 at 3400Mhz which consumes 54 Watts to a i3 4370T at 3300Mhz consuming 35 Watts (not exactly the same Mhz but close). Which one is faster and why is this so complicated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I think I get it now. Thank you very much for that informative answer, BobHoward!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I know I brought this up earlier but what's the deal with the "t" processors again? The idea of a i7 CPU with a TDP of 35 Watts Intrigues me, but I wonder about the actual advantages and disadvantages of, say the i7-4765T. Somebody said it's basically a Celeron with more cores since it does not clock higher on its own, would that be correct?

\/ Thanks to both of you. That cures me of wanting one of those things.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 27, 2015

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Kaby Lake promises less CPU strain playing 4K videos. Is this something that would be delegated to a modern dedicated graphics card (like Nvidia's 10XX series) if you have it? Or is this a useful feature whether you go with built-in graphics as well as for users with dedicated graphic cards?

e: \/ Thank you, thank you.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 2, 2016

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Its features include "Precision Boost", "SenseMI", "Pure Power" and "Neural Net Prediction". Not quite as good but still very 90's / 2000-ish.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Right now Intel CPUs suck for their lack of performance gains and AMD CPUs suck for not catching up to Intel (and because of their mainboards).

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Those regular i7s seem a bit less desirable now, compared to the i5.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

They really know how to sour this potential purchase. But I value single thread performance over number of cores, so I guess I stick with them.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, if you want to buy something right now the Ryzen 1600 is a fine value.
That's what I wanted to hear, really. Since I'm not interested in overclocking, the 8400 is really attractive (performance, power consumption), but I'm not going to play along and let Intel force me to buy their z-mboards. Besides the 1600 comes with a decent cooler, so that's 30+EUR saved (at least in Europe).

Please don't let me down, Team Red. :ohdear:

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I wonder what the Core i5-8420, Core i3-8120 and Core i3-8320 will get you, compared to the non-xx20 models.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

cool startup feel posted:

Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: Nice Meltdown

The only things not melting are the CPUs.

Because they're slowed by Spectre.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I love how the 8400 is easily in the top 3 in most of these benchmarks when in comes to games(!), power consumption and pure performance (ST, but still).

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Argh, what's that 8 core cpu later this year gonna be??? Are they going to go x+2 cores on everything again, or will they find a stupid way to make this an inconvenient choice somehow? I can't believe intel so easily adds cores when they haven't all these years. I wish we knew already.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

We can't get the better thing soon, because they're aiming for something even better which takes time. Just have patience.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I just replaced my i7 2600 with an R7 2700 and there is no difference doing office work or even with games. I would have kept the old thing if the board didn't die a slow death, but 65W TDP vs 90W TDP is nice regardless.

Connecting the old SSD to the new system was fun: Win 10 booted like nothing had happened.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

L33t_Kefka posted:

Are you looking to sell the old i7-2600?
Sorry, already gave it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Winks posted:

The constant fanboy clashes would be really funny for a little while, then really awful.
With the AMDailures being occupied with running Cincebench all day this will be highly unlikely!

*there is nothing better than running cinebench