Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I imagine this will provide a bit of a boost to PC Gaming as soon as these start filtering down into pre-built PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm actually worried a little by the trend that computers are 'fast enough' for most people.

The public sees a lot of benefits from fast processors being available, even if it doesn't relate to how they use their own personal computer. Unfortunately chip fabrication is very expensive and we probably still need to be selling those chips at consumer volumes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SanitysEdge posted:

I wonder how they are going to stop pirates/hackers from unlocking their processor without buying a code.

Yeah, how exactly does this work, legally? Precisely what am I buying when I buy one of these processors? Is there a EULA involved that prohibits me from downloading a free program that unlocks the processor in the same way?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Video encoding, if you're looking for good quality, cannot have very many threads. Frames reference each other in H.264. If you're encoding hundreds of frames at once, they obviously can't effectively do that; you'll have to use another method of threading, like slicing frames into slices and encoding each frame with multiple threads. Sliced threading is inherently lower quality.

Couldn't the GPU be used for a really-fast first pass, since it can look at tons of frames in parallel?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

It's only server/enterprise workloads that could plausibly make use of that extra speed, though. Intel's efficient use of cache means that the benefits of RAM speed have flattened out around DDR3-1333 for three or four generations now.

That and Dwarf Fortress (seriously)

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 3, 2012

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

If I parted it out completely I could easily get 250 for the CPU and over 200 for the Mobo at least

You're probably best parting it out honestly. I never really had any luck buying or selling used desktops.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Most technology purchased by people over about 22 is bought for aspirations of things that actually never happen.

This applies to way too many of my purchases

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-alder-lake-cpus-may-not-work-with-older-games

Apparently there's going to be compatibility breakage with older DRM.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I guess USB isn't that 'universal' anymore now that are several types.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

disc playback as a whole is pretty dead these days I think, outside maybe Redbox.

how is Netflix’s physical library these days? it seems pretty dead and a tough business model when a bunch of content is produced by the streaming providers themselves.

I don't know how true it is but I heard someone say they had streamlined their disc library and gotten rid of a lot of the more obscure stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If you want to see bad brand names, look at any Amazon listing that has 20 nearly-identical listings from different Chinese companies. One of them is like 'Azzsy' or something.