Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wouldn’t gently caress with nitrogen unless I was in a very well ventilated room. Nitrogen leaks are kind of terrifying, all you end up noticing is that you can’t catch your breath.

Is the 10th gen i9 going to be worth upgrading from a 9th gen i7? I know that the i7 will be set for ages but that whole 10 cores/20 threads thing is tempting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

AMD seems perfectly content to offer choices in the low-mid range, they have been that way since the 6950. It's where the money is at.

They’ve done some absolutely moronic cards like the 295x2 for the high end. You can still get mileage out of a GeForce 970 now, not so much with the 295x2 because it turns out going and making a built in dual GPU nearly a decade after dual GPU basically died in the crib is a terrible idea.

The last AMD card I bought was a low-end one. I don’t think I’ve bought one of their high end ones since the Radeon 9800.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

Microcenter has 9900Ks for $299.99 May be possible to get best buy to price match if you don't have one in your area, some people report success with a couple tries.

This is really tempting me as an alternative to migrating my 9700k to a new motherboard this week.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Updating to an 11th gen from a 10900kf probably won’t be worth it, right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you already have an i9-10900KF, very very likely to not be worth it

I do, I was gonna keep my 9700k but my brother needed a new computer so I did a full rebuild and gave him my old one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

It wouldn’t have been worth it from a 9700K either.

Going to be a nice upgrade option for those coming from Kaby or older, or Zen 1.

I do like going from 8c/8t to 10c/20t. It doesn’t make a real difference but it’s at least a number I can see that went up big time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SuperTeeJay posted:

main benefits were seeing more cores/threads in HWMonitor

Why are you acting like there is any other reason to upgrade your CPU though?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m gonna have to do a cinebench before and after I put the water cooling in next weekend, I wonder if that’s gonna make a difference with the boost.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cygni posted:

Rocket Lake coming in a month.

It is going to be so god drat tempting to upgrade and I hate that I’m even considering it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cygni posted:

If these end up being the real prices, then as expected, the i9s are truly "premium" products that are well off the price/performance arc for gaming. Firmly in the "dont buy unless you already have a 3090" spectrum.

On the other hand, the 11700KF is price targeted directly at the feature comparable 5800X (8/16 with overclocking and no integrated graphics). The 5800x is $450 at Microcenter/BestBuy when in stock.

The early leaked benchmarks have record single core scores but strangely gimped multi core scores, and Intel has apparently told reviewers that a BIOS fix is incoming and numbers aren't final. So take the leaks (even with retail parts) with a grain of salt.

I’m wondering how the 11700KF stacks up against the 10900KF for gaming if the single core stuff is that much better.

E:like in theoretical performance, I know either one will blow away any extant game right now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

shrike82 posted:

seems bad

Time for geothermal cooling. :getin:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m gonna have to manually OC my 10900KF to get the most out of it, aren’t I? I just went from a 212 evo cooler to a MSI Coreliquid 240 and it’s keeping my temps way down but my cinebench score only went up by about 80 points.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Also you’re gonna need a new motherboard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Man, my 10900kf is so loving inconsistent on benchmarks and I can’t figure out why. It’s never cracking 80 degrees but it’ll swing by like 1500 points either way on cinebench r23 and I can’t figure out why.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cygni posted:

Normally its not a problem with K-skus because motherboards throw the Intel power suggestions in the garbage as soon as it detects one, but it might be enforcing the Intel TDP limits? Normally that sort of run to run variance is a sign that something is either triggering a cut in clocks, or a background process is doing something screwy and sapping performance.

I usually kill everything but the benchmarking and monitoring software (always something lightweight like GPU-Z or Coretemp) but I feel like I must be missing something in the background. The clock speeds are showing 5.1GHz without any drops if I run something that displays those. It’s gotta be some kind of software thing. I may just purge my boot drive and reinstall Windows in case I have something lurking there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Basically any RGB in my computer can be disabled by unplugging it. Not the small lights on the motherboard, I guess; but I might be able to disable them at a BIOS level. Never had a reason to bother checking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

spunkshui posted:

Id be cool if intel made something interesting for us to talk about lol

Besides mistakes, you mean?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

Steve isn't pulling any punches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiuvQPL_qs

e: lmao it's well deserved, it's worse than the 10900k in almost every benchmark and even when it ends up on top it's more expensive than the 5900x which just spanks it six ways from sunday

:lmao: At least now I won’t be tempted to upgrade for no reason.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What kind of bricks does falcon northwest use for the DRX? You can get desktops i9’s in those and have been able to for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Honestly I ended up sticking with Intel instead of going AMD on my last build by basically complete accident (I was gonna migrate my old CPU opted against it at the last second… mostly because I bought the wrong motherboard when I was rushing and then just said gently caress it and gave my brother my old computer). I have really, really liked the 10900KF though. Good thermals, OC’d like a dream. I was disappointed the 11900 was basically a step down in every way, I was hoping Intel would still be good in the “more money than sense” market.