Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train

Yudo posted:

I have an i5 760 that I feel compelled to upgrade but am not sure why. It's old?

I'm better off just getting a new video card. I do a lot of numerical analysis and it would inflate my ego to say that it is computationally so complex that I need an uber-machine, but frankly I solved some linear systems on my dual core atom. Most of the packages I use anyways are bloated shitware--solving a simple mixed model in SAS took 0.1 seconds of CPU time but 5 seconds to generate the report; another case it could not do ML estimation cause it ran out of RAM (which happens when have of your extentions are written in Java, of all things). An SSD and 4 more gigs of ram has solved that little problem.

Would a lower wattage CPU save me money on electricity? Someone give me an excuse to build a new machine, please.

You're overclocking, right? I've got the same processor and it's trivially overclockable to at least 3.6 GHz. There are a few tasks that I wish it could do faster, but those might take up just ten extra minutes a week. I'm not upgrading my desktop to Haswell when it's available. To replace my Sandy Bridge Macbook Air, though, I could consider a Haswell MacBook Air/Pro when those are released, depending on performance and power usage improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU