Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I am disappointed in the current* state of Intel integrated graphics. I wasn't expecting miracles with this laptop (Kaby Lake i5 , UHD 620), but I thought some older stuff would play decently. Diablo 3 doesn't hit a consistent 30fps even at 720p. And I hover around 20 with Titan Quest AE at minimum details 1080p. Were my expectations unreasonable?

(*this is a 1.5 year old laptop)

e:it has 8gigs of memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arzachel posted:

I bet that's a single stick so it's running in single channel mode.

It is. It has a spare slot. That would help significantly?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DrDork posted:

While sometimes you won't get all that much of a benefit (Civ6, for example), this guy saw improvements of anywhere between 10% and 30% across a range of games. If the base stick is also replaceable (vs soldered on), he saw improvements of up to 80% by dropping in faster RAM.

https://mattgadient.com/faster-gaming-on-intel-uhd-620-kaby-lake-r-by-upgrading-ram/

I mean, it's not going to turn it into something that can compete with even a 1050, but turning 30FPS into 40FPS is a nice bump for $30.

I'll be happy if it gets me 30fps @ 1080p in D3. As is, it'll get there sometimes, but with regular massive lag spikes (in the performance sense).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Like I said, atm I can’t even do 720p at a stable 30.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nomyth posted:

Apple A## cores running away with raw perf/watt is still astounding

is there a simple layman's explanation for how they do this?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

As someone that was just about to buy a Qi charger, what's wrong with the tech?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Talking out of my rear end, but I think it might even take Sony a few years to demonstrate the potential of the technology. Ratchet is likely only scratching the surface of what's possible (I hope anyway).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Even just modelling around standard 550mb/s read write SSDs will be a significant improvement. The day platter drives are left for dead in a ditch can't come soon enough. Laughably obsolete 1950s tech that has long overstayed its welcome.

I mean, it's just a question of money, no? I think the current $100 ~ 1TB conversion is a tipping point in the transition.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That Intel jingle was everywhere back then. Hardly see or remember any of their ads nowadays.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

11400 is $190 out of the gate. Could be good value down the road?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gtRRMd2_UI

:chloe:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

is it silly to dislike RGB for environmental reasons? it's probably barely a blip...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This'll probably end up a hypothetical question, but is there a chance of a reasonably cheap processor upgrade that would give me a "meaningful" FPS boost? I have a 6400 with a GTX 970. Changing settings often doesn't make much of a performance difference. I hover around 60 in a lot of games, but dips are frequent. Would just like a near locked 60 at 1080p.

I know nothing about buying old CPUs or their price patterns.

This is a small form factor pc with a limited PSU (330W) so that might be another limiting factor.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

LRADIKAL posted:

6400 what? What motherboard? How much memory? How much are you willing to spend?

It's an alienware prebuilt. 8GB of 2133Mhz ram, dual channel.

I don't know how much this might cost, that's why I'm asking. But I don't think I want to spend more than a 100 dollars.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I don't want to be spending $200 on a six year old cpu.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Apparently the Alienware bios won't even accept a 7700k.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

do i understand correctly, that the new intel cpus should be price competitive with AMD's (i'm looking at the $200-300 tier), but motherboard costs are likely to more than make up for any savings?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

thanks for the effort reply

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

In a similar vein Microcenter has the 11600K for $230.

I'm more looking to see what's the best I can get within my budget, than am that concerned about future power, unless there's reason to believe prices will drop quickly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Speaking as a guy who bought a 5600X two weeks ago, I'm glad Alder Lake is very good.

Well I'm glad I held off, if only to see if there's a price drop.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You think AMD might respond immediately with a price cut?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hardware Unboxed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWsMYHHC6j4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Seems DDR4 is fine

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

Looks like Microcenter has the 12600k for $320, 5600X for $290, the 11600k for $230, and the 10400 for $180. They really are crowding that "new middle" tier of the market.

looks like prices already dipped a bit

5600X for $280
11600k for $200
10400 for $160

but the 12600k is also down $20, so maybe it's a sale?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The PC building thread recommends the Z590 for intel builds, but I couldn't get an answer if that's true even if I wouldn't be OCing the 11600k. Any thoughts?

Though an increasingly loud whisper in my head is telling me to just treat myself to a 12600k, or wait for AMD's 2022 offering.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you are getting an i5-11600K, and my post is not an endorsement of that decision:

and you do not intend to overclock it, you might be able to save a few bucks by getting a B560 motherboard instead,

provided that you check the reviews or the specs to be able to tell that the power delivery is good enough to let the thing run at max boost for as long as your cooling can take it (and keeping in mind that even some Z590s can have weak power delivery)

and provided that it has enough I/O for what you need

EDIT: There used to be an issue whereby memory tuning/overclocking was only allowed on a Z-model motherboard, but that is no longer a problem with 11th gen/Rocket Lake, and even the B- and H- model motherboards will allow you to tune your memory, if you wanted to.

Thanks. I'm just not sure how much I can justify spending on this pc.

I was looking at the 11600k because of the $200 Microcenter sale.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rexxed posted:

That's definitely the more sensible option and I'm just kind of waiting to see what AMD does at this point. If I could pick up a 5800X for a discounted price it would be more sensible than splashing out for overpriced new architecture stuff that will be antiquated when there's presumably much faster and cheaper DDR5 in a couple of years. It's nice when the chip makers fight and there's well priced options.

FYI, just in case you have a Microcenter nearby, they have the 5800X for $329.99.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do you think it's worth worrying about the future when buying a CPU today? The 12600k is obviously a very big step up from the 11600k, but looking at game benchmarks the differences don't seem that significant (production performance is a different story, and by all accounts the 12000k smokes the 11600k in that area).

I realize these results don't necessarily tell the whole picture, but they're also focused on CPU-limited scenarios, that might not realistically arise or matter (does an extra 30FPS in CSGO matter when you're already at 260FPS? not to me).

Question is whether that's likely to change in the next 5 or so years. Whether the differences between the two will become more relevant. When you factor in sales and motherboard prices, picking the alder lake cpu could be upwards of $150 more and probably with a worse board.

As a side note, I'm surprised neither HWU or GN test the Assassin's Creed games. I thought they were known CPU hogs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

No, no 11600 yet. I'm looking to build a new pc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DrDork posted:

That said, given that unless you need to buy RIGHT NOW, the price difference between a 11600k and a 12600k is likely to shrink to <$100 after a little bit, it'd be silly to pick the 11600k unless you got a smoking deal.

Nah, but I've started buying parts (only CPU agnostic stuff), and learning about building a pc has given me a bit of that itch. The 11600K was attractive because of the $200 MC deal, and I've seen decent Z590s at decent prices.

sauer kraut posted:

They won't even run on this mixed CPU crap iirc.

You're right. Probably not good benchmark material even if they got them to run.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

Uhhhhh, goddamn

Yeah but I believe it's only one store. Tustin, cause they had a reopening or something. $220 elsewhere.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

nm. i can't read, should go to sleep.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 15, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Would you take a 10700k over a 11600k? Gamer's Nexus had the 11600k ahead in a lot of their gaming benchmarks, and there's the PCIe 4 support (I'm unclear how relevant it'll end up being. DirectStorage will support PCIe 3, iinm). But the 10700k is an 8 core, and probably more OCable.

They're sometimes in a similar price range.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 15, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

If you like gaming, I would consider a 12600k + DDR4 board (the MSI Pro Z690-A that Buildzoid likes, for example) if your budget is in that range. Just goofing with current PC Part Picker prices, the board+CPU prices with the cheapest mobo I would consider are:

$356 - 11600k
$428 - 10700k
$509 - 12600k

$150 increase isn't that huge by raw price, especially diluted as part of a total system (if you are doing that) and with the knowledge that the 12600k will absolutely have a longer usable lifetime when you are starting from today. More cores + better cores + more modern platform + whats bound to be a more popular platform + better in socket upgrade options in the future with the news items about Raptor Lake also supporting DDR4 all make a good argument for the price increase, to me.

No I agree, but an extra $100 would already be pushing it, and the new motherboards are expensive (more than you outlined because I need wifi) and much less likely to get Black Friday sales than the LGA1200 mobos.

Idk, maybe if I'm in a good mood I'll splurge, but as we talked about on the last page, for gaming the 12000k isn't likely to make a big difference, especially without the budget for a high end GPU.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FYI, I managed to get Best Buy to price match the $200 11600K Micro center offer. It took two times. I didn't want to waste CS' time, but the first guy seemed to not understand the Micro center page (he thought the part was out of stock).

But your mileage may definitely vary. And I doubt the Tustin specific sale ($150 10700K) would fly because they asked for my zip code multiple times.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was looking at Hardware Unboxed and Gamer's Nexus benchmarks of the 11600K, and noticed there's a pretty big disparity between the results for the two games that overlapped in their testing.

HU has the 11600K matching the 10600K in F1 2020, whilst the 11-chip is fairly significantly ahead for GN

And in Siege, GN's numbers are again favorable for the 11600K, where it's almost as strong as the 5600X, whilst in HU's testing the 5600X is way ahead

There's a similar pattern in the application benchmarks.

Each YouTube channel uses different pc components in their testing rigs, and different graphical presets for games, but I was surprised at just how consistently the 11600K looked better in GN's benchmarks. Could it be silicon lottery, or more down to differences in testing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

12600K for $270 at Microcenter
:eyepop:

My MC was already low on stock the last few days, so there's no way there'd be any left now. Worth noting it's out of stock in Best Buy and Amazon, so maybe it's not selling that poorly after all.

Also Z690 prices haven't budged.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 23, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Interesting that it's 1.25v compared to 1.35v on existing DDR4 sticks

DDR5 was designed to use lower voltages, no?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I replacing the motherboard I installed just last week. Would it be a bad idea to keep the thermal paste? Just asking since it's still fresh and there's quite a bit of it.

If I'm applying a new layer, can I use lens wipes to clean the surfaces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I hosed up and ended up repasting three times, because I noticed that the cooler was loose, but only by the second attempt did I realize it was because I forgot to screw in the mounting brackets. At least this was before I moved on to do anything else.

A lot of wasted paste, though by the end I was more confident about how much (or little) was actually needed.