Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:
I upgraded myself to the i5-2500K yesterday, and the change in performance (From a wee Pentium E5400, mind) has been amazing. I can capture video from games with near no loss in FPS, can virtualize and emulate like a motherfucker, and everything is extremely responsive.

My old motherboard and processor caused my memory to unfortunately under-preform, and, though I'm using the same memory, that issue has vanished. Surprisingly enough, Windows did not need to be reinstalled after switching to the new motherboard, for which I am pleased. It also allowed me to utilize an older HDD that my old motherboard had disagreed with (It refused to continue booting past BIOS with it connected) The upgrade did break the Hackintosh aspect of the system, but this was expected and I didn't mind greatly.

I was/am a tad irritated with the small stock cooler, but, again, this was expected ahead of time, and when I feel like spending money again, I'll grab an aftermarket cooler before trying any overclocking. All in all, I am very pleased with my purchase, and was able to push my system to right where it needed to be. (An i7 would surely go to waste in my box)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU