Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Factory Factory posted:

Rumor has it that Intel will stop producing LGA-based processors with the release of Broadwell, leaving all solutions across all TDPs as soldered BGA SoCs. As in, no more sockets, no more buying a motherboard and installing a separate CPU.

If this is true, it's hard to imagine who would really be affected. CPU upgrades without motherboard upgrades are already not especially cost-effective for those who would consider them, and so relatively rare.

This will either make motherboards really expensive as 17 different variations have to be produced for different market segments, or it will simply make high-feature enthusiast motherboards obsolete because the market is too small for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Yudo posted:

Under load it drinks deeper than Ivy and manages to get even hotter as a result. Using 12w on idle is awesome and all, but pulling 115w (at 70c) under load is not so much.

I'm not suggesting Haswell is a bad chip, rather that Intel has made tradeoffs. Lowering static usage is a big deal as most CPUs spend their days doing naught, however dynamic usage is higher vs. Ivy.

Well, I'll be sure to get around to complaining about that when my computer usage changes from "sits around running uTorrent in the background all day and maybe gaming for an hour" to "BORDERLANDS 2 ALL DAY EVERY DAY".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

canyoneer posted:

I for one wish that they would have continued the Pentium branding, and called the Pentium 2 a "Sexium" instead. :haw:

Sadly, they probably would have gone Hexium, as all English speakers tend to when using Roman numbers as prefixes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Alereon posted:

Anandtech is reporting that all Core-based Intel CPUs have a memory controller defect that prevents using unbuffered DIMMs larger than 8GB, according to a company called "I'M Intelligent Memory". They're talking about this because they've developed a technology that works around this issue and allows DIMMs with their special sauce to function on Intel CPUs. The actual bug seems to be that that the memory controller can't talk to 8Gbit dies, I'M's tech pairs two 4Gbit dies in a way that will work (so a 16GB DIMM would have 32 4Gbit dies).

How many systems that need 8gb+ dimms are running unbuffered ram? Seems like the only systems running that much memory would be servers.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

gary oldmans diary posted:

When I think of advertising I usully think of marketing meant to attract me to where I can (see the product description and) buy the product, not the product description at the commercial site itself. Though obviously nothing commercial is untouched by marketing.

Marketing includes anything related to the labeling or packaging of the product, so using the codename in its listing on an online store would definitely violate the rule.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

canyoneer posted:

"Worth" is a loaded question.
Think about how teeny the individual die is. 200-300 sq mm each for Haswell stuff. And the wafers are 300mm across, a total surface area of 70,000 sq mm. Since it's a circle, you can't be fully efficient with the rectangular dice filling all available space, but you're still talking probably 200 dice on each wafer. The yield is probably not 100% there either, but if you're selling 80% of those that's a retail value in five figures, yeah.
How much they spent in materials, labor and equipment to get it there is some number less than retail value, but still pretty big.
So if you were an employee goofing off and dropped a FOUP, you probably smashed wafers worth many times the amount of your annual salary. :v:

edit:
Those wafer moving robot arms are not as cool as they could be. I want them to have big white gloves on like in the cartoon factories.

I always wondered, why do they make the wafers circles instead of squares anyway?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

canyoneer posted:

I remember buying a Western Digital Raptor and feeling really cool that I could go from cold boot to usable desktop in ~8 seconds.

Now with an SSD and faster BIOS, it's like 3 seconds :pcgaming:
I've been doing my best to get my money's worth of productivity from that extra 5 seconds I save in the 2 or 3 times a month I restart my PC.

The SSD is the thing that pushed me from never rebooting for updates to rebooting within 3 days of the updates installing.

MS really needs to figure out how to do in-place updates though. It's basically the one enhancement I desire from Windows. I'm happy with everything else. If they spent a whole release figuring that out, I would reach computer nirvana.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's practically impossible, because there's no way to entirely track all pointer references to the DLLs being updated, and on top of that, if active data structures and locations of global static variables mismatch between the active DLL and the one to be switched in (which will be 99.9% the case), all affected apps will crash.

I know the practical problems with it, it's more of an *i wish* than anything else. I just feel like OS development at this point is just an endless churn of UI redesigns and bugfixes, and the only real enhancement that would be meaningful to me is impossible.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

WhyteRyce posted:

A crazy murdering drugged out ex patriot said it was giving him a bad name

I didn't know he was in the NFL :D
The word is "expatriate". Coming from the Latin root word "pater" meaning "father" as in "fatherland". I would imagine most expatriates were never patriotic.

This has been your pedantic language update for the day.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Riso posted:

Wasn't Intels lead eroded by corporate espionage? Samsung is kinda known for that.

You know, I kind of don't even give a poo poo if it was. All these companies do dubious-rear end things to get on top and for us, the consumers, competition is good, even if the corporations are being unethical toward each other to create that competition.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

wipeout posted:

Curious why you would do this?

Maybe he only boots the PC up when he has to do fairly long-running heavy workload jobs and the CPU trying to throttle up and down at perceived dips in activity hurts his performance on those jobs? No idea what kinda job that would be, but in my OS class we definitely fooled the CPU's throttling quite a lot by deliberately writing programs that just churned away doing whatever and then blipped to 0 utilization for a few MS and then went back to heavy work. In those situations, the CPU's throttling more than doubled how long it actually took to get back to working at full capacity.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I used to have this video card:

Not only were their boxes hilarious, their Taiwanese support team was perplexing to interact with (but friendly). When I had to RMA the card he just kept asking me "Are golden finger broken?". It took 10 minutes of:
me: What?
Him: Golden finger. Are golden finger broken?

before I realized he meant the AGP connector. I was like, what does this

have to do with video cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

:aaaaa: Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea for anything you can just plug in?

Because hypothetically, for some narrow range of applications, virtual address translation might be too slow and bottleneck the connected device. In reality, this is not likely outside of very specific scenarios for which you would probably buy specialty hardware anyway.