Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I should have been more specific. Whatever the latest Ivy Bridge, Intel manufactured Micro-ATX board is. If it exists.
Just curious, but what reasons are there in particular for using an intel manufactured board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I've been purchasing Intel-reference boards for a while now, generally because I feel as though they're a bit more stable for my use. Additionally, it's a "why not just get everything from the manufacturer" kind of thing. I don't really overclock and I don't typically use the massive amount of extras/features that other motherboard manufacturers include (why would I want built-in WiFi on a motherboard?). I also feel like Intel will stick to more standardized specifications when it comes to the design/construction of their motherboards. A lot of Intel applications that integrate with their motherboards also seem to have a better quality than competing products (i.e. ASUS' fan monitoring/voltage manipulation applications).

I suppose it's kind of hard to explain but my thought is if I'm going to go with Intel, I'd rather just choose a motherboard from the same company that's building the processor. It's one company making everything work together in a straight-forward fashion (Intel processor, Intel motherboard with an Intel chipset, Intel USB, Intel Gigabit LAN, etc.)

Maybe I'm just being geriatric and old timey with technology. I haven't had any bad luck with sticking to Intel for as much as possible, but if they're phasing out their motherboard line then I guess I have no choice.
Right, fair enough, I can certainly respect that. Intel's UEFI implementation is excellent, from what I hear.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Has someone just messed up really badly for the first batch or something?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Alereon posted:

Go with a good air cooler, only the crazy massive three-fan watercooling setups actually perform any better
For all-in-one solutions, anyway. A custom watercooling loop is probably much more trouble and money that it'll be worth.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

calcio posted:

And really, a ps2 port still!?
A decent chunk of mechanical keyboards only support N key rollover via PS2, though ones that do so by usb are coming out slowly.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Cicero posted:

Am I the only one who has had a much easier time remembering Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge compared to previous Intel microarchitecture names? It feels like it's way easier to remember a name that's composed of two common words rather than one composed of a single uncommon word. It looks like they're going back to the old naming convention after Ivy Bridge and it saddens me.
They're just taking out the space is all.
Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake, Skymont. I guess they're not technically just two words, but I'll end up remembering them that way.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
My fairly cheap dac gets crackling sounds through toslink input, but it has a usb input option which works fine. Granted I'm on a super cheapo Asrock board from a while ago. The processing happens on your dac either way. Toslink is going to give you a line-level signal. (Some dac manufacturers specifically call out that some toslink transmitters don't work too well at 24/192, which is probably what you're shooting for, but you should probably be fine.)

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

That sounds like a good idea. After trying stock cpu usage was 10%

I bet it's something stupid like flowers.

[edit] When people say Minecraft isn't multithreaded, does that include multi core? 8 core vs 4 core etc... I've never looked into hyperthreads and seen what they do / how they work.

Yeah threads are just computer science speak for 'the bit of the process that changes a lot while it's executing' so multithreading is needed if you want to split that program's work up between more cores as well as If you want to split it up between cores that can handle multiple threads
E: hyperthreading is actually pretty cool and impressive basically you add a bit more stuff to the core so that you can keep the working data of more than one process in there and whenever one process doesn't use all of the core's circuitry or is waiting for something the other process does. And then there's a bunch of clever tricks to make it work faster and more efficiently as well as sometimes just biting the bullet and jamming in more trqnsistors

is that good fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Krailor posted:

I hope they also use this opportunity to clarify their product offerings a little better:

Pentium - 2 cores no hyperthreading
i3 - 2 cores w/hyperthreading
i5 - 4 cores w/ hyperthreading
i7 - 6 cores w/ hyperthreading
Good luck with that; Anandtech is claiming that desktop Kaby Lake has a 2 core pentium with hyperthreading whose only distinction from the i3s is 3mb of cache instead of 4
E: no they're not and I'm not sure why I thought they were. My bad

is that good fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 5, 2016