Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I use my computer primarily for gaming, entertainment, and writing. I've been planning on upgrading my CPU from the Sandy Bridge i7 I have now. Is it worth waiting for Haswell or should I just grab an Ivy Bridge right now? Getting a new motherboard would also be a big pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
It's a 2700K. So I guess I'll just stick with it then.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

movax posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't be thinking about upgrading for a long while, unless you absolutely need every single last drop of performance / have a lot of money to burn.

Ah okay, gotta look into overclocking then. Never done it before.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

HalloKitty posted:

If you want to bump it modestly, you literally head into the BIOS, find the setting that turbos all cores under load, and set the turbo multiplier to something like 42. 4.2GHz would be trivial for a 2700K. Keep going if you want to play, by all means, but basically with that, boom, you've upgraded to the CPU you wanted.

You'd definitely want to upgrade from the crappy stock Intel cooler, though. (Assuming that's what you have).

I have a Coolermaster V8 cooler, so I should be fine. I'll try that today when I get home from work.

Factory Factory posted:

What on earth is making your chip feel slow anyway?

Sometimes a little Norton thing pops up that says "High CPU Usage: Shogun 2" or whatever. Also the chip is apparently bringing my Windows Experience score down by like .2 or something. Yes I know those are probably stupid reasons to want to upgrade. :shobon:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

davebo posted:

Get rid of Norton.

So Norton isn't the industry leader or whatever? What's a better antivirus program?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Agreed posted:

Oh, Asus. :allears: I have to say it did make for the least worrisome install ever, hard to accidentally static stuff when it's underneath a big drat polymer jacket, and I feel it might help ensure the stability of the motherboard (especially in transport) given the gigantic three pound cooling setup bolted onto it, having all those extra areas it's quite snugly connected to on the mobo. And I'll take the 2-3ºC passive, 4-6ºC active cooling boost it gives for god knows what reason.

Thermal Armor :black101:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I finally attempted overclocking my Sandy Bridge i7 2600K. I changed the multiplier in the BIOS to 42. CoreTemp says my CPU temp is fine, so no issues there. Everything seems faster, but System still shows a 3.4 GHZ processor. Is there any other way to check how fast my CPU is really running now?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Core Temp gives me between 40-42 C which as far as I know is safe. CPU-Z shows 1648 MHz for the most part but flicks to 4327 or so when the processor is under load - booting Shogun 2 for example. Does that all sound about right?

e: oh and also the voltage hovers around 0.9-1.3.

Martello fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 3, 2013

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Hmmm. I was just running Shogun 2, and I wasn't paying attention to Core Temp but now that I look at it, the Max for all four cores is 98. Is that too high?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

HalloKitty posted:

I doubt it's hitting 98 at normal voltages and a light 4.2GHz overclock.
You're no doubt looking at TJ. Max, which is the maximum specified temperature by Intel for the CPU, it doesn't change.

Unless your cooler is full of dust, has a failed fan, or is half falling off, a moderate OC at reasonable voltages should not yield 98°C.

Also, yes, anything that uses simply the name of the CPU will show the original GHz value, because it doesn't actually query for the current speed, it's just pulling out a stored string. Such as system info in Windows.

It's definitely actually hitting 98. I ran Windows Experience Index because it maxes CPU load (as far as I can tell). Core Temp said 98 plus or minus on all cores during the operation. I checked my CoolerMaster V8 cooler. The fan is running fine, and I sprayed it out with canned air. The cooler seems to be sagging a little, presumably just from its own weight and hanging on the board for so long. Because I'm dumb and don't fear electrocution I kept the case open and actually held the cooler tight against the board and the chip to make sure it was making contact. The temperature still hit 98. I have a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 lying around, should I try swapping that in and see if it fixes it? Any other suggestions?

Ihmemies posted:

Jesus what's wrong with ASUS?! I'm considering buying a Haswell platform, but god drat they have a lot of models. For Z87 chipset alone they have:
- Sabretooth
- A
- C
- Deluxe
- Deluxe/Dual
- Expert
- K
- Plus
- Pro

That's 9 models! How I'm supposed to make an informed choice from that bunch? Do they even have some comparison spreadsheets available?

Sabretooth. It looks the coolest. That's why I bought it, at least. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

beejay posted:

It would certainly be worth it to swap in the Hyper 212. If you are still seeing weird temperatures, give us a screenshot (maybe in the overclocking thread?)

Ooh, didn't see that thread. Sorry, I'll post over there once I install the Hyper when I get home from work today.