Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's not my primary gaming machine obviously, but I find you can play a surprising amount games on any halfway modern integrated graphics with settings turned down. I've even been using my small Surface Pro 7 for WoW from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure people posting on HN have any advance knowledge. Seems like a rather pedestrian crowd.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 21, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Another thing about USB that I hate is that they keep changing all the old names with every revision, so manufacturers can sell the same old USB 3.0 port as the new hotness.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say the issue is less the backwards compatibility, more the way marketing tries to obfuscate differences by constantly renaming everything. Also, IEEE 1394 (called FireWire by some brands) is very much a dead standard.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BobHoward posted:

I'll put it this way: do you use any cloud hosted service? (like, say, the Something Awful forums?) Then you have been relying on Intel VT-d not having exploitable flaws, because major cloud hosting service providers rely on VT-d (among other things) to isolate instances from each other.

All those CPU bugs of the past few years tell us that no, cloud instances aren't properly isolated from each other.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah yes, all the other totally secure Intel features were hacked (including their super secure Management Engine), but VT-d is clearly impenetrable.

DrDork posted:

True, but the point remains that unless you're living under a technological rock, you're already assuming those risks with basically anything else you're doing. To worry about the security concerns of physically connected devices via IOMMU by comparison is, perhaps, worrying about the wrong things.

Worrying about the security of devices directly connected to your PC is absolutely something you should do. It's not superfluous, like double-spacing. Even regular USB devices can do a ton of harm.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Feeling pretty good about getting Comet Lake instead of holding out for Rocket Lake

Seems like they had a... failure to launch

You still got a bad space heater CPU in the end.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe don't buy Intel.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does Paul actually know what they're talking about? All existing evidence points to "no", so I'm curious whether that post is accurate at all.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doesn't seem that way.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I really want to play with these racists, but can't stand to hear the actual words!

What is the target market for this? Seems entirely useless.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

my z490 mobo has 2 display outputs hdmi and DP. Im running a 10700k. Can I power 2 monitors at once? Assuming yes, but I dont deal with onboard enough to know

It can.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

extremely good news. Not having a gpu might end up being fairly tolerable.

I used one of those Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny systems with two 4k screens for a while, 6th generation CPU, the iGPU really wasn't powerful enough to run that satisfactorily. A video running on the second screen would noticeably lag when doing things on the first screen.

But maybe the experience is better with newer CPUs and a full desktop-TDP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I get to see into the procurement side of things in my work and it's interesting that A. we're still buying up hundreds of workstations to meet scaling-up demand, B. Intel is still the brand to go to for these kinds of orders (I've never seen an AMD system in our offices) and C. at this point, the machines being bought are enterprise/prebuilt 10th gen i5's. That's a six-core/12-thread part that still turbos up to 3.2 GHz even with the T-model low-TDP variant. It's honestly a lot of CPU to be doling out for driving spreadsheets, and it's interesting to think about what the second-hand market is going to be like in a few years.

Intel being able to deliver more units than AMD thanks to their older process alone should give them a leg up over AMD, even when Intel's CPUs are worse. There's also a ton of inertia with these things.