Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Is that quad core i5 an error?

Or did they finally give mobile i5 four actual cores? Also shouldn't i5 be cheaper than i7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm still doing fine on 4GB, outside of not being able to play games that require more. The only times I have more than maybe 5 or 6 tabs open in my browser is when I open every bookmarked thread on here, but I just read those in sequence and then close them. I can't even fathom what kind of browsing habits lead to having so many tabs open that you can see maybe half a favicon in each, like I see whenever some of my friends send me a screenshot of their browser window for whatever reason.

I used a laptop with 4GB of ram too til two weeks ago when I got a new one. That low amount of RAM only prevented me from using multiple Windows virtual machines at once, no issues with lots of tabs.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MGSV, Dirt Rally and Rocket League are the most modern games I played and they ran just fine on 4GB. MGSV even ran the best out of those three.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

japtor posted:

Are the mobile i5 quads a new thing or have I just never noticed them before?

They came with Skylake generation, not sure why people refer to them as so common thing.

I'm quite happy about it because now people don't need to get the more expensive i7 model for real quad core.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

go3 posted:

16:10 master race

I still use my almost 10 years old Samsung Syncmaster 226BW daily. Had to replace power supply capacitors year ago, but it's still going strong otherwise.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I thought of an interesting question: Why can't CPU's run at even lower frequencies to save more power? Mine runs at 800 MHz at lowest.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

fishmech posted:

Past a certain point, reducing the operating frequency won't save enough power to be measurable, since the supporting electronics still need a certain amount of power to operate anyway. Modern CPUs will temporarily shut down whole cores in situations where the clock has already hit the minimum, because that way will save power in a more effective way than say, trying to reduce the clock speed to 200 MHz.

Also, depending on the hardware it's connected to, reducing all the CPU cores to too slow a speed might cause problems for communicating with other system components that don't downclock as far, like RAM or the expansion bus cards. This is less of a problem nowadays than it used to be.

Thanks for such good explanation!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I tried undervolting my i7 47620HQ. found out that during stress tests it was totally stable til -80, BUT it kept crashing during light loads like Spotify and web browsing even at -60. How normal is this? All the material I read said that it's good to go if it's completely stable during stress test.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

(Side note but lately I've been feeling that Cinebench is an increasingly irrelevant benchmark. It seems to bear no resemblance to real x264, x265, or Premiere anymore

Uhh, Cinebench is offline 3D renderer from Cinema 4D that uses either ray or path-tracing, not sure which. Video rendering/encoding never had any resemblance to 3D rendering.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

It doesn't match up to Blender's performance either. The 6900K is ahead by 14% and 10% in the two standard benchmarks, while the 1800X is ahead by 9% in Cinebench R15 MT.

So that means Cinebench is skewed ~20-25% from real-world benchmarks.

I misunderstood what you were saying there.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Has anyone heard of anyone's iGPU getting output artifacts? My laptop's HD4600 just did. :s Hopefully it's one off thing.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

TheFluff posted:

I'm not so sure about that. Some games that you'd think for sure would be CPU bound (for example, Factorio) are actually memory bound. You see the same in video processing too - many simple filters (such as resizers, 3x3 convolutions, simple FIR filters, etc) are actually memory bound these days. The CPU's are already too fast and there are too many threads.

How does memory latency affect performance? I read that it gets worse and worse with each DDR generation.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

It's not actually getting worse and worse, it's staying roughly the same but since the numbers are expressed in terms of clock cycles and the frequency is increasing the latency numbers appear to get bigger

Ohh, that's interesting.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Intel integrated graphics doesn't support freesync or adaptive sync, right?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 30, 2018

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Perplx posted:

Also tsmc is ahead because they get that apple money, which makes 75% of their business. If intel had taken apple's offer to make iphone chips they would probably be ahead now.

Oh, I did not know they made chips for Apple. Any danger of Apple buying them out?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Would AMD have access to it too if it came to fruition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Oh my they're finally fixing the checkerboard issue in Chrome! :toot: