Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I know this thread doesn't see much action lately, but this may be of interest to some of you:

Aqua Computer over in Germany has come up with a 3D printable delidding tool for Skylake: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/auqa-computer-skylake-delid-spacer,30806.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That is also a factor. I know the experiment you're talking about, where someone delidded an Ivy Bridge, repasted it, and did tests without the glue and a paper shim to simulate glue.

EDIT: Found it: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34053183&postcount=570

I am not going to say this is still a problem for Skylake, as I haven't seen anyone find the same result, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised either.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Exactly this from what I have read. However they also aren't using the best thermal paste either so delidding and applying some better stuff seems to provide nearly as good results as soldering it would.

Though this is also part of the reason I will probably be LGA2011-X For the foreseeable future as I don't need an iGPU and use all the cores and PCI-E lanes more often then most.

Related to that, the above test showed that the Intel TIM was superior to NT-H1, which is one of the better pastes out there.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 30, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
FIVR is rumored to be coming back post-Skylake.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 3, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eames posted:

Vendors are now reacting to the 18-month timebomb errata. None of them are allowed to mention the component or company, Synology even had to pull a statement because they mentioned Intel.

Pfsense/Netgate vowed to replace all affected units within 3 years of purchase which seems fair.

https://blog.pfsense.org/?p=2297

Still, having a ticking timebomb as a firewall which is often a single point of failure feels bad.

edit: better link:

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-atom-c2000-series-bug-quiet/

....christ, and I was just looking at getting a replacement NAS for the D525-based one I've got whirring along right behind me. I dodged a loving bullet, huh?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

That _has_ to be a paper launch..... right? I mean surely they won't have silicon boxed up and ready to go as soon as Computex kicks off?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Uh.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/04/intel_i77700_heat_spike_problems/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://wccftech.com/intel-arbitrarily-breaks-coffee-lake-compatibility-z270-force-users-buy-new-z370-motherboards/

WCCFT article, salt now so you're not salty later.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
"Self," says I, "Maybe you should pop your head in the Intel thread to see if they have a better idea than the rest of the internet as to when general Ice Lake or next-gen graphics availability is before you pull the trigger on that 2019 LG Gram. Sure wouldn't do to stick your brother on old graphics on his birthday present."

edit: page snipe yooooo.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 30, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's okay, guys, I still think Intel's..... okay! I mean, like as not, Thunderbolt is still an Intel-only thing until USB 4, and that's not gonna show up until something 2022 at the earliest. I'm probably buying an LG Gram with Ice Lake for my brother still, when those show up.

Speaking of Thunderbolt in the intervening period: I, for one, am very glad to see that Intel is doing slightly less stupid things with regards to not hanging Thunderbolt exclusively off the PCH.

Though their testing methodology with Gen11 graphics raises some eyebrow-raising questions.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 28, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeyAG-CMKCs

This little hardware demo from Intel looks interesting, and ASUS is already in on something like it, since they just announced a remarkably-similar (but missing the second hinge) ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo.

I do think that the Intel demo would be more usable, though, and I gotta say, as I have moved over to ultrawide monitors, I've started stacking dual monitors vertically instead of horizontally too, so I think it's a good move.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

stevewm posted:

Was many years ago.. early Pentium days, before the introduction of the extra 12v connector. Machines from the very late 90s and into 2002 or so.

If you where hell bent on reusing the power supply, you could remove the pins and rearrange them into the standard ATX pin out. But further complicating things, they didn't always use the same colors as ATX either.

It went both ways too. You had to get a Dell power supply if yours died because regular ATX would fry your board!

Yeah, which was why you did the thing and bought a $2 ATX-to-Dell ATX adapter and saved yourself the headaches diagnosing dead Dell power supplies.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I blame those new Sugandese fabs that Intel spun up to increase 14nm capacity.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

So they can hit that "prices starting at $999" marketing point.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, same as how the "starting at $X" base models of some cars/trucks are so stripped and underfeatured that nobody actually wants or buys one.

except that I wouldn't even *mind* the 4 GB model, because on any other device, I'd just pop them out, throw them unceremoniously into the cardboard box labeled "RAM" that I keep in The IT Drawer That Never Gets Sorted, and then repopulate with memory that didn't cost me an arm and a loving leg!

But no, this poo poo's soldered, so it's "buy the 32 GB now or get hosed".

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

D. Ebdrup posted:

Asus might be the only company who still make motherboards which aren't garishly LED'ed, so there must be a lot of people who're buying the ones that could make a rainbow feel envious.

.....poo poo. I may have just had the decision for my next motherboard made for me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
2011-ish is the year I switched off spinning rust and onto an SSD and never looked back. I was one of the lucky motherfuckers that got an OCZ Vertex 3s that did NOT exhibit any of the controller problems that others were having.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I might have had enough money to get a small SSD, but not THAT much money, duder. It was only a 120GB model, after all, and I had to get it on deep discount from Newegg during Black Friday.

And then they shipped me $400 of DoA parts, then tried to claim their "Iron Guarantee" didn't count during Black Friday, so I swore a fatwa against ever giving them my business again, but at least I got an SSD out of it.

Who knows if I actually had a good sample, though. XP being XP, in retrospect, I'm not sure I would have been able to tell the difference between a malfunctioning controller and one that wasn't. Besides, all my documents folders and crap were mapped to my old boot spinning rust, now relegated to secondary storage, so nuking and paving was relatively painless.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 30, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm sure there are gonna be use cases for RAID 0 forever, but really, it's getting harder and harder to saturate storage these days. Just what kind of consumer workload is going to saturate an NVMe link? At PCIe 4.0?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

shim? psh, just give me some lovely foam feet and the risk of cracking the edges of the die due to terrifying mounting mechanisms

ah the good ol days

Hold on, yup, there it goes, a Socket A PTSD flashback.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
drat that AMD, it's not enough to steal Intel's marketshare, their mindshare, their process lead, their tech lead, and their lunch, but to steal their thread too? Unforgivable!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, any time it's been brought up in the AMD thread, I've been against it, but if you guys are down, what the heck, we can do a grand experiment, and if it all blows up, we can go back to our little corners.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

"Intel is refocusing its product portfolio. Our 10th Gen Intel Core processors with Iris Plus graphics are built on the new Gen11 graphics architecture that nearly doubled graphics performance. We have more in store from our graphics engine that will bring further enhancements to PCs in the future."

That's one bold-rear end statement, but I'm just glad that we can finally put loving HD 620 in the goddamn ground.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PCjr sidecar posted:

Bruh, AMD is shipping a 280W 7nm part today.

Yes, but it's a 280W 64-core/128-thread part. You know, where you can socket a pair of those into a board and achieve nuclear fusionthe kind of density that Intel cannot presently hope to achieve, at the cost of heat.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 12, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
...why are Atoms still a thing?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eames posted:

Some recommended reading regarding the Atom:

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-atom-c2000-series-bug-quiet/

I've experienced those failures with a NAS and a Firewall. The general recommendation was to replace the device with newer Apollo Lake (N3350, J3355, J3455, N4200) CPUs.

well.

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/cpus/intel-revises-apollo-lake-degradation-failure-warning/1/

I'm surprised companies like Synology even bother anymore, considering the flood of RMAs they have to handle.

Goddamnit, I specifically opted to spend a little more and grab the DS918+ with the Celeron J3455 so I wouldn't have to deal with this poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Finally, some actually tangible ux: Destiny 2 on the i5 Pro 7: https://youtu.be/wmxpR_tTy3k

It looks shockingly playable for integrated graphics.

edit: Whoops, I meant to post this in the laptop thread.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 25, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

so HFT is just but coin mining but real?

As I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong:

You know how in the stock market, things that are traded fluctuate over the course of a day, right? HFT seeks to take advantage of those fluctuations rather than large market swings, by algorithmically buying when the stock/security/currency exchange/whatever drops by a few cents, then selling it when it bounces back a few cents higher.

In short, making money through volume trading off the inherent background noise, rather than out of insight or information.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

sorry, I'm pretty new to the scene so I don't have a good basis for what is or isn't reliable information. I can take it down if it's just misleading or fake.

WCCFT is the tech equivalent of a tabloid. Stories are either fake, made up, thrown against the wall like jell-o to see what sticks, are stolen from another source, or, on more than one occasion, are an endlessly looping ouroboros of sourcing. ("Tom's Hardware says WCCFT..." "WCCFT says Tom's Hardware...")

By all means, link WCCFT, if only to see how hilariously bad their reporting is, but if you do so, just be aware that you should be cracking a fresh can of Morton's every time. Salt now, so you aren't salty later when it turns out to be completely made up.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 2, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://blogs.intel.com/technology/2019/11/ipas-november-2019-intel-platform-update-ipu/

quote:

Intel is heavily invested in both industry collaboration and in conducting security research into our own products. As a result, while we are addressing 77 vulnerabilities this month, 67 were discovered internally through our own testing, validation and analysis. We believe that assigning CVE ID’s and publicly documenting internally found vulnerabilities helps our customers to accurately assess risk, prioritize, and deploy updates. By the time you are reading this blog post, mitigations for many of these issues will have already been propagated throughout the ecosystem through the IPU process. At the same time, the external researchers who reported the remaining issues to us have all been good partners in working with us on coordinated vulnerability disclosure (CVD).

Intel plz. I remember when six or more CVEs in A YEAR was unusual, but 77 in a month?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 13, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....I think Intel was better off not shooting themselves in the foot when they were still ignoring AMD. This performance anxiety they've suddenly contracted a case of is gonna be ugly for the next few years.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
merp

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 25, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Originally linked that, but I kind of felt like it was preaching to the choir. Ain't nobody here under the delusion that Intel somehow looks good doing this, right?

....RIGHT?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If it's something like a whole wafer, chances are that something went wrong between masks, so it may not have even made it all the way through production.

Nor would you want to display perfectly good silicon, imagine someone smashing and grabbing that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

Did AMD ever stop making lovely Bulldozer APUs for office shitboxes? Like the A8s and stuff.

It’s embarrassing for Intel to go back but they’re right that a certain segment just cares about cost and does fine with older chips on older nodes.

There exists (existed?) some very late Bulldozer parts that fit into socket AM4, but they were all Athlon branded, and I don't think we've seen hide nor hair of them since Zen launched proper.

The entire remainder of Bulldozer silicon is in consoles these days.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SourKraut posted:

I’m pretty sure Frys won’t exist after this holiday season.

Some of them have got stock now!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
GF is owned by a wealth fund, of course they don't understand the importance of investing large sums to chase new processes. They just see that the IBM money dried up, and that they weren't going to make a profit by chasing 7nm when they can just sit back and vend 14nm to people who are still on 20nm and 32nm for pure profit.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 8, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have been saying for years that not having iGPUs from either camp that can routinely do what a 750ti can is a goddamn travesty. Maybe we'll finally see that in the next two or three years.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It absolutely shouldn't. For comparison's sake, a 750ti was capable of 1.4 TFLOPs single precision.

Right now, at THIS VERY MOMENT, Ice Lake G7 clocks in somewhere between 1.0 and 1.1 TFLOPs, depending on cooling and configuration.

I don't know why you guys think this is some kind of unattainable goal that needs voodoo and HBM and chiplets and new memory. It's there! It's right loving there! It's so close!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And I quote Paul:

Paul MaudDib posted:

LPDDR4 is a hell of a drug.

If AMD can use it to realize what they're claiming is "59% improved performance" on their new APUs that are still using Vega-and-not-RDNA cores rewarmed, why in god's name shouldn't Intel get in on that poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Arzachel posted:

Raven Ridge officially supported up to ddr4 2933 which is about 23GB/s, lpddr4x 4266 does about 34GB/s or 50% more, making it real obvious where the 59% performance increase comes from.

A 750ti does 86GB/s.

And yet one is benched as being capable of about 10% fewer FLOPS than the other. Gee. It's almost like IPC and transistor count between a 28nm process and a 10nm process actually *means* something.