Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

BobHoward posted:

You can almost always get 90% of the performance for way less than 90% of the money. From the manufacturer's point of view the reason for the premium line is to extract fat profits from people with deep pockets who have to have the fastest thing, not to give you a bargain deal on something that'll last forever. This is especially true in this case: for 99% of gamers, regular Haswell is a much better choice than Haswell-E. You can get a 4.0 GHz Haswell for $350 or less and it will be every bit as good as that 5930K for essentially all games for the forseeable future.
This being said, the last few generations of uArch changes have mainly given us greater efficiency. I'm running an i5-750 that still mostly chugs along well. Do we have any rational expectation that the Skylake uArch changes will have tangible benefits (for the mainstream gamer) that will outweigh the necessity of UniDIMM DDR3/DDR4 upgrades, in addition to mobo/CPU, for single GPU setups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

So based on current rumors, unless I plan on stepping up multithread dependency of things I run on my home desktop (which is a strong maybe with SQL/Hadoop stuff if I decide I want to bring work home with me even more), decide I need multiple GPUs (I don't, I'm running a 1440x900 single monitor off a 970 :derp:), or plan on putting tonnes of drives into a new setup (I don't, my old rig becomes a NAS for that), Skylake doesn't necessarily afford me any huge improvements over Haswell or Broadwell; or necessarily even current Lynnfield chip (aside from efficiency, but I'm not running a data centre out of my apartment)? Seems like I can wait for Skylake and hop on the clearance LGA1150 bandwagon perhaps. Thanks for the input.

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 10, 2015

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Is there anything on the horizon to replace Silvermont for SoC storage servers? Newegg.ca is selling octocore Avotons for 20% off and my bonus is burning a hole in my wallet.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Medium and no. Guess the C2750 is good enough for me.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

5. Power efficiency is more valuable than single core performance.

If 3dMark started giving score/W, enthusiasts might finally accept this as the current biggest driver of chip development but until that happens you're just going to have to keep listening to people complain about the gigahertz.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The fan will break in 2-3 months so it won't matter much

Please, elaborate.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

Looool stupid Intel, trying to scale process nodes ahead of the rest of the planet instead of chilling at 22nm node like a sensible company would do.

Stupid Intel trying to innovate in meaningful ways for a much more important market segment than desktop why I never. :argh:

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

All I care about is maximizing vidja while minimizing power consumption, do I just buy an i5-7500 and call it a day? My i5-750 hurfs durf on Dark Souls III so I guess it's time.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

2017: Intel needs to release faster processors with more cores.

2018: Intel shouldn’t have launched more processors.

:goonsay:

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

All of the stuff that's easy to do, like branch prediction

Melting down ITT that nobody has emptyquoted this.

:perfect:

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Palladium posted:

I remembered very clearly that my hand-me-down Celeron 333A thrashed the poo poo out of my K6-2 500MHz in every PC game and was also a ton more stable in Win98.

My big upgrade off a 486 was to a K6-2 500. Even after I threw in an AGP Radeon 7200, Half Life chugged so hard. Good times playing CS b5.2 and TFC at a glorious 12 FPS.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Can’t wait for the one guy trying to dunk on Intel for having net profit and not socializing hyperthreading for the people realizes they also spend $11B/ quarter on plant & equipment because it turns out manufacturing microprocessors is expensive. Or that the primary driver for revenue growth is modems.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Been receiving biweekly delivery pipeline updates since March because Dell’s delays are so bad we have to defer new hire start dates; we don’t have computers to give new employees. It’s real out there, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Just gonna ride this i5-750 / GA-P55M-UD2 into their third decade until this whole thing blows over.