Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

An Overclockers UK staffer has described their stock levels of 'K' Coffee Lakes as "practically zero".

Welp. I thought I'd outgrown mashing F5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Volguus posted:

What does "practically zero" mean? You have some but you can't sell them because you promised your brother in law and your dog and your neighbor you'd get them one of these fancy cpus?
It turns out that it meant:

30 OEM 8700Ks - all used in built systems or binned and delidded chips that sell for £500-800 (lol)
No retail chips.
No further stock expected until the end of the month.

Other major UK retailers that have gone live with the 8700K were showing 'Available to pre-order' from the start. It appears there are no retail 8700Ks for sale in the UK today and all OEM chips are being sold in systems or at an insane markup.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

repiv posted:

Scan.co.uk listed it as "available to pre-order" when I put my order in, but they just sent me an email with a delivery ETA of tomorrow so :shrug:

we'll see
Mine says the same, but the online order is sitting at 'Awaiting picking' or something and I'm guessing that's where it's going to stay.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

eames posted:

How many goons are sporting Coffee Lake yet? Some retail overclocking results would be interesting.
I’m using the Asrock Extreme4 with my 8700K. A recent review of this board was right to mention that it needs more voltage pumped through it than others for overclocking - I need 1.39v to run at 4.8GHz on all cores and 1.43v to reach 5GHz. It can do 4.7GHz on all cores with 1.28v, staying at about 70c under stress testing with a Noctua NH-D15, so I’ve stuck with that as the tiny performance gains aren’t worth any extra heat.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

priznat posted:

I’m hoping to ride my 8700K to whenever DDR5 capable cpus come out but it might be a bit optimistic :haw:

Mostly because I am a huge nerd cpu powerfiend not because it will not be a viable cpu anymore.
I can't decide between getting an 11x00K and next upgrading when DDR5 matures or getting onboard the first DDR5 generation. Sticking with the 8700K until DDR5 matures would obviously be the most sensible option but this is a hobby and I like building new machines more than once every five years.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I swapped my 8700K to a 9900KF (costing about £100 after flogging the 8700) and the main benefits were seeing more cores/threads in HWMonitor (whoop) and stopping myself spending £600-700 on a new motherboard and 11700K this summer, which I'm sure will also make little or no difference in 1440p gaming.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

If I’m buying a new cpu (and mobo) I’m gonna want a number go up. Any number would be fine, I’m not particular.
Debt go up!

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Fauxtool posted:

What is the sweet spot for ram speed for intel?
The conventional wisdom was not to bother with anything faster than 3200MHz but some more recent benchmarking shows FPS gains at 3600MHz and (to a lesser extent) 4000MHz. I'd go for 3600/C16 or C14 in a new build.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Fauxtool posted:

my 10700k arrived way sooner than I expected so this build is happening sooner than later. Whats the general overclocking strat these days?
The last time I seriously tried was on a 2500k and that was relatively simple. Adjust the multiplier, raise voltage until stable, repeat.
Guides aimed at obtaining the maximum stable overclock will recommend changing all sorts of settings, but getting all cores to run at the highest single core boost or a bit higher is as simple as you say. I'd also change the load line calibration from Auto to a medium setting and then start hitting it with OCCT/Aida64 and Small FFTs in P95 until it stops falling over.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It's strictly for gaming, and occasional streaming. I'm aware it wouldn't be a big upgrade, but if eBay is anything to go by I can flip the CPU for ~$290 and the MB for ~$130
If you have a Z390 or good Z370 mobo, swapping the 8086K for a 9900K/KF/KS will cost little or nothing and the extra cores/threads will scratch the upgrade itch and provide virtually the same gaming performance as a 10 series CPU.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

quote:

The 600 series motherboards will feature a new socket type called LGA1700. The shape of the CPU package has changed, which will render all existing cooling solutions for LGA115X and LGA1200 unfit for the new CPU series.
I'm hoping that means my NH-D15 needs a new mount and not that it needs to be taken out and shot because it doesn't cover the entire CPU.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

repiv posted:

I use the back non-pointy end of the screwdriver that comes with the D15
And don’t forget the necessary incantation: “Motherfucking piece of poo poo…gently caress…bollocks…why did they do this?”.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

For anyone with a Coffee Lake processor and a case of upgraditis, this is my 9900KF (4.9GHz all core) versus my new 12700K on stock. The rest of the system is a 3080 FE, C14/3600 DDR4 and an NVME drive.

By far the most noticeable improvement has been Windows chugging less immediately after boot or when quickly alt-tabbing between a game and other programs.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Enos Cabell posted:

Have any favorites emerged out of the ddr4 Z690 boards? Might be selling off my 9700k mb/cpu and upgrading to a 12700k, but I've got good ddr4 ram and don't feel like shelling out the extra for ddr5 yet.
I can’t fault the TUF Gaming (zero stability issues with the 12700K at stock and 3600/C14 DDR4 in ‘gear 1’) but the choice was largely made for me by launch week availability and the number of models that are incompatible with the big Noctua coolers.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Ihmemies posted:

So 12700K is good for games and applications, yes? Thought about :
- Asus z690 rog strix a ddr4
- noctua n15 black

Use my old 4x8GB ddr3600 cl15 b.die.

Price would be around 1000€, not cheap. But I don't see the value of paying 200€ more for 4 efficiency cores. 50€/pop is not good. I'd pair the cpu with 3080, and replace my old 8700k setup.

Ddr5 doesn't seem to offer anything now either except hundreds of dollars of extra money for no noticeable gain.
Check Noctua’s website for compatibility between its coolers and Z690 boards. Asus released several models this generation that can’t take the big towers.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

The 12700’s 8P+4E is probably better for gaming but the reviews will be out soon enough.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd2V7emO8Es

This new review includes a comprehensive comparison of DDR5 vs fast DDR4 (3600/C14) for gaming. If a person with a 12700K, fast DDR4 and a bad case of upgraditis was considering getting a 13700K, their average frames would increase by about 15% if they stuck with DDR4 or by about 20% if they switched to DDR5. For gaming rigs, this probably puts fast DDR4 in the category of 'Keep but don't buy'.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Air is best for longevity but I'd say watercooling for the usage. I have power limited a 13900K for a gaming rig and the NH-D15 is close to the limit of what it can do while remaining silent.

If you are going to be using all those threads and want the performance, an AIO will soak up heat for longer before spinning up the fans. You'll probably have to replace it in several years but that beats having a noisy case in the meantime.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I picked up an i5 13600k on sale. It's going on a DDR4 board, and the chip's product page claims that it officially supports max. 3200 speed RAM. Is there any point spending more on 3600 speed, or is cheapish XMP 3200 CL16 the best bet? I won't be overclocking the CPU or RAM.
Anything faster than 3200MHz isn't guaranteed to work but it almost certainly will. Motherboard manufacturers publish compatibility lists.

Given that DDR4 is now relatively cheap, I'd suggest 3600MHz/C16 unless you can get something only a bit slower for significantly less.

Mikojan posted:

I recently upgraded my ryzen 3700x to a 13600k. I have a Z690 TUF PLUS motherboard.

It came with the first BIOS version that supported 13th gen but since there are a few BIOS updates out that "update microcode" for the 13th gen

Is it worth trying to flash the BIOS? I've never done this before and I know there is a risk attached.

I studied up the process and I got all steps down only I can't google how to name the USB .bin file. Other manufacturers seem to need the file named after the brand like 'GIGABYTE.bin', is it logical to call is 'ASUS.bin'?

Can I brick it if the file name is wrong?
You don't need to rename the file - unzip the download, copy the content to a USB drive and then use the update tool in BIOS to select the file on the drive.

The usual advice is to leave the BIOS alone unless something is wrong with your PC, but I would update non-mature firmware and you'll have to do it when someone eventually finds a security vulnerability. Unless the PC loses power, the process is very unlikely go wrong.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

My Asus Z690/12700K at stock settings would crash at the very start of the Prime95 small FFT test. It seemingly wasn’t getting enough juice as manually setting the LLC fixed it.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Ya, Meteor Lake won’t fit.

(Although maybe Intel will make a mess of things/try to squeeze every cent out of the existing socket and release another refresh.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Well, the question was about the third series that will be compatible with LGA1700, so 'Now'?