Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
After a month of waiting for this stupid Gigabyte X99 Designare motherboard to go through the RMA process for not posting, I finally got my first big socket PC built. The 6800k is running at a cool 30 something degrees with the Corsair H110i and I swear that I blinked and missed the Windows installing to the Samsung 950 Pro m.2 drive.

Coming from a 2500k with a Sandisk Extreme ssd this machine feels so much faster. What I particularly enjoyed was the performance of this R9 Nano, with the 2500k it struggled to maintain a core of 850-950mhz, constantly dropping and very rarely hitting 1000. With this setup, it was almost constantly 1000 and barely dropped back. CPU didn't look taxed at all.

This is of course a very preliminary test and I'll need more time to become fully acquainted with the new hardware, but the difference between this and the 2500k is noticeable. Not that Sandy bridge was poor, I love how much that bit of silicone lasted, especially performance from a mid range unlocked chip, but with the cumulative features of the last 5 years, and this hardware being in a totally different price bracket it's a very nice improvement over the aging socket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

It was the next step I was going to try, but I lacked the confidence to make the attempt. Combined with my frustrations I would have most likely boned it up somehow. Gigabyte did mention that it could have been a bios issue, but after a few nights of trying to find any info about the board from forums I was coming up short. Gigabyte had documentation saying the board was compatible with the 6800k which was leading me to believe that there could have been something iffy going on. I should have tried harder to find a solution before waiting a month.

I'm going to have to do another flash for the memory issue I'm having, currently this thing power cycles when a second ram stick is installed in dual channel mode.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Glorious, bless him and his bountiful mane.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Being so used to gotcha journalism, Steve just sitting down for an unfiltered chat is fantastic. Dude seemed really agitated the whole time, and to Steve's credit he's not the type to come off as imposing or intimidating, just a guy who tries to be impartial. Not obfuscating the testing methodology at least is a positive thing by PT, even if the results are misleading to the uninitiated.

For an impromptu interview it's pretty great.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 11, 2018

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

All I can picture is this old man turning the lights on, wiping off the cobwebs with his thermally greased hands, cigarrette hanging from his mouth, turns on the 22nm fab, smoke billowing from the depths, he grunts out a "c'mon Bessie" as he pokes it with his broom and out pops the first run of chips.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Hey fellas, with all the self isolation going on I think I'm developing a fresh case of brain worms, I'm looking at a 1660 v4 ES chip (6900k equivalent) that is reported to be overclockable. Being an engineering sample I understand is a huge risk, but having 2 extra cores over my 6800k could do wonders for some of my workloads in photogrammetry and give me 40pcie lanes instead of the current 28 (which isn't a problem now, but I may end up adding a u.2 drive down the track).

I have a strong sense this is a foolish endeavor but...brain worms.

I keep telling myself to just wait for the 4900x or equivalent and stop horsing around, but it's been years since I've done anything with this machine and I have the itch to muck around.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

It's a QK3S chip, sitting at around $280USD, supposedly it can do 4.2gh at 1.25v which has raised my eyebrow a bit. I've also seen another unit that only does the standard clock speed that was also an engineering sample IIRC. I'm predominately thinking of selling the 6800k if this chip is ok, mostly I'm interested in gaining the two cores without having to upgrade CPU, MB, RAM.

I'm still rather happy with how the 6800k performs for it's age, for my workloads and for gaming it still hangs in there ok unless there's something that really only depends on clock speed, which is why I'm partial for trying to get a chip closer to 6900k performance with those additional cores.

Those v3's look pretty good, but if I can get this model to OC like a few folks have reported over on reddit and overclockers, it might be worth my time, even though Broadwell is such a strange product.

Also, thanks Paul. I appreciate your insight.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

That G-5900 and 5920, 58w and $42, $52, priced to match the 3000G? Do they still shift those parts?

Also interesting that it's 125w or 65w, curious to what they'll really consume, 10 cores at 4.8 has to be thirsty surely.