Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Maybe a dumb question but are there any kind of notification systems you can be running for when 9700/9900k's drop? In a spot where I need one but all the rumors are saying the supply is going to be abysmal and I can't wait months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Some idiot dropped my PC while moving and I can't convince myself to buy another 8700k with it being so close to 9700.

It's me, I'm the idiot

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

mcbexx posted:

Dafuq? The uptick is not necessarily over yet.

They're back down to $379 on Amazon.

Having to check for 9700's, 2080 Ti's and Z390's every time you wake up sucks. (Yes I'm one of the idiots buying a 2080 Ti)

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
If going deaf is the price I have to pay to play Action Quake 2 at 6,429 FPS then I'll gladly pay it.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

BurritoJustice posted:

Gigabyte confirmed to me that there will be no PLX motherboards from them this generation, looks like the Z390 Godlike is the only remaining hope for loads of PCIE with a 9900K and that's not known for sure yet. I want two 8x/16x for GPUs, 4x for thunderbolt, and hopefully minimum two accessible 1x for various other poo poo.

I want a modern version of the Z270X Gaming 9, just loving everything on a motherboard.

Newegg price leak for Z390 Godlike is $857 :monocle:

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
How do Intel releases generally go down, suddenly Amazon/Newegg list them at the same prearranged time?

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Some Gigabyte z390's are available on newegg from third party vendors.

texting my ex posted:

I just realized my new CPU (8600k) came with some games, a "starter pack". I don't see any code to redeem on the box though, where is it?

They sent mine to my email I used to order when I bought my 8700k from Amazon.

Hold The Ashes fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 7, 2018

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Did that lady just say esports is bigger than real sports?

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Can't even say AMD's name, just 'the other guys'.

hobbesmaster posted:

YOY revenue growth is bigger but esports are “only” a billion dollar industry

That’s a couple NFL teams

:sad:

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Laws of physics broken confirmed!

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Edit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005404P9I

Seems to be Amazon's that you can just set up notify

Paul MaudDib posted:

BH went live at midnight and is still letting you preorder, which may mean they have a massive backlog.

Preordered a 9900k at $529 from them just now, will update when I hear something. :hfive:

Hold The Ashes fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 8, 2018

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

I'm seeing a lot of gently caress ups on the listings, such as the ASUS Prime-A using pictures of the z370 version with details/specs of the 370 too. Only noticed it because the real Z390 Prime A looks like absolute dog poo poo compared to 370.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Newegg has all the Gigabyte boards in stock now (themselves, not third party vendors).

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Newegg has the majority of boards in stock now.

Time to get me a Taichi.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

redeyes posted:

I got 'hacked' 6 months ago and they locked my account and guess what, they will not unlock it ever. I even tried signing up under a different email, address, locked again since I used my actual CC number.

I can't order from newegg anymore at all! I did call customer service.. 10 loving times. They are completely incompetent and even their reps cannot fix anything. Talk about a company going to pure poo poo.

If you're using any moderately popular CC brand you can use their virtual CC number system which will let you get around that by giving you randomized CC numbers/name that only lasts for a specific window of time.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
In defense of Intel it sounds more like they just expected the typical wink wink nudge nudge kind of benchmarks that both companies do for their dumb press announcements and instead of doing that Principled Technologies just killed a hooker in the next room. We've all been there.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

Rabid Snake posted:

Yikes I haven�t. Ive seen stuff not reported but not misrepresented

Conveniently leaving out anything that makes your product look bad is misrepresenting though. AMD was doing the same poo poo in the ten years they were completely irrelevant (in high end systems), the only difference is everybody knew it was bullshit and nobody really cared because they were fighting out of their league and people don't like dog piling on David when he's fighting Goliath.

You can tell that guy was expecting some real poo poo to come his way and Steve just wins him over with professionalism

Unrelated: Kind of lovely that Newegg's opening price for 9900k was $580. Not even Amazon went over $530.

Hold The Ashes fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 10, 2018

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvQN-fpjv90

Latest Intel doom and gloom. I personally haven't owned an AMD CPU since K6-2 days. Not out of fanboyism for Intel, I just grew up and wasn't able to take advantage of the brief times they were better for gaming (lol), but a lot of this news lately is just sheer hopes and dreams type stuff. Nebulous rumors of "partners not happy" to rampant speculation to connecting it to AMD's wishful thinking forecasts, it's just terrible and is the one big gripe I have with GN about it.

And to be my own contrarian, I actually hope AMD can capitalize on this and be a real, long lasting rival this time instead of shooting themselves in the foot every time they've gotten to this point. Hell I even hope they can become the dominant leader just to get Intel back in shape but seeing otherwise good tech journalism do this is disappointing.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
My complaint isn't that they aren't giving pro-Intel news, it is specifically about using the "rumors of partners being unhappy" to justify or connect an otherwise unsubstantiated or unbelievable claim to lend it unwarranted credence.

It's got some specific journalism catch phrase name that I can't remember. But it seems Steve even knows it's bullshit which is why he repeatedly says stuff like "we have to stay in the real world now", but that just begs the question of "why are you even doing it to begin with?"

Again, not saying they're hackfrauds, just as you said it's virtually impossible to report something good about Intel right now, which just makes it weirder that they'd report something, complain about reporting it because it isn't realistic, then continue on using it in their conclusions as if it were actually real.

Maybe I actually am a secret intel fanboy and just never knew it. Not my waifu!

Hold The Ashes posted:

Unrelated: Kind of lovely that Newegg's opening price for 9900k was $580. Not even Amazon went over $530.

https://youtu.be/5LnvCDbInDM?t=515

Paul calling out newegg.

Rumors from affiliates is that he's just copying my posts. which is why he's gonna start reporting poo poo

Hold The Ashes fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 14, 2018

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

OEMs are mainly unhappy with Intel not supplying as many CPUs as they're used to, which has been documented over the past month over their 14nm volume shortages. Not sure what else you're extrapolating from that weekly.

I'm not extrapolating anything, it's laid out pretty bare in front of you and is classic wishful thinking journalism.

It's 'technically' two separate news stories; AMD wanting people to think they're at equal parity with Intel and can get 30% of the market by the end of this quarter, which is laughable. Steve even says it's stretching reality. But then he says they "certainly can happen in the next months", which is still laughable. Me winning the powerball is something that could certainly happen too. I shouldn't need to tell you that neither of those are going to happen. From Q1 of 2017 to right now, for all the many, many problems Intel has handwrapped the opportunity for AMD to capitalize on it, they've managed to gain back less than 1% of desktop market share.

The next story is OEMs grumbling about not having enough precious Intel chips, which isn't added right after the first story out of sheer coincidence, and is meant to reinforce his previous belief that AMD is "certainly capable of" literal, unprecedented meteoric rise. I shouldn't need to tell you that approximately zero of these OEMs are in actual danger of dropping Intel for AMD. Virtually every sentence he says is pure conjecture such as "Notebook OEMs are stuck waiting on Whiskey and Amber Lake and may become very interested in AMD's Raven Ridge".

As other researchers are saying, if Intel had the single worst quarter they've had since 2000's and AMD had the single greatest quarter they've had, at the same exact time, AMD would still not even come close to 30% market share.

I don't even buy AMD and I still want them to succeed, but making up ridiculous horse poo poo and then half assedly supporting it while pretending you aren't like GN did in that weekly is just horrific journalism.

Hold The Ashes fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 14, 2018

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

tell me about the milkman conspiracy

edit seriously in the same loving video steve also spends 15 seconds on how that was wishful loving thinking on amd's part, this isn't hard

He says it's wishful thinking in this quarter. He immediately says it's a certain possibility in the months after it. You know, seconds after what you're saying you managed to hear. It isn't hard.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you seem to have a habit of reading way more into what's being said than what's actually been said and not just in this topic so i think i'll just leave it at that

Don't worry nobody noticed you suddenly reverting to no punctuation or capitalization after your ADD flared up and couldn't let you focus on the two seconds after someone said something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i love me some good projection but i don't think this is the place or time for that on your part

*furiously replies struggling to reach that vaunted 10 page of posts*

"If I can just ninja edit enough posts I'll be able to avoid someone wondering why I just said listening to something someone said two seconds after what I lost my poo poo over is reading too much into things"