Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ryokurin posted:

Maybe I'm missing it, but where? I've seen limited 2gb pairs for $50 on sale in the past week or so, but I could have swore that this was the normal price this summer. Most I see is still in the $70-80 range for 4gb. Even the deal I got from newegg went up to $60 the next week.

Newegg is showing 1x4GB chips fro 50 bucks a pop most with free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ICE&PageSize=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It would not save you money to buy a new processor.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/04/intel_uncloaks_nextgen_braswell_atom_64bit_android_kitkat_kernel/
Wasn't there some talk of the 14nm processes being pushed out to 2015? Intel is claiming they are still on track here. Or did I misremember?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't think using that thing would be worth it unless you are on a strict poor person budget. I was there for many years, so from that perspective the 6 dollar upgrade for 25 percent cpu performance that you're probably getting is worth it, but if you have a bit of spending money, then you can get huge performance gains from the cheapest of modern Intel chips and boards. Keep in mind that any new stuff you buy will be more reliable and covered by warranty. Not to mention that the thing probably sucks up 5 times the juice of a modern chip.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

what F^2 said, jitter is a real phenomenon but it isn't very significant for digital audio in 99% of cases.

But really I'm posting this because those random noises you hear when starting up a high CPU task? May not be what you think. CPUs get their power from switch-mode regulators. Switchers have magnetic coil inductors, which can mechanically flex a teeny little bit as the electric current flowing through them changes. And that current is changing; modern CPUs tend to rapidly switch between lots of current and none when they're not fully loaded. These switching events may sometimes happen at audible frequencies...

In other words sometimes it is possible to hear noises emanating from components on your motherboard rather than your speakers, if the room's quiet and there's nothing else masking the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc
Certain nVidia 970's were doing that pretty bad.

edit: oh yeah, lol'ing at the jitter worry.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Seems like an overclocked 2500k is great for most things right now, it's generally the motherboard lacking new technology, DDR4, USB3, SATA, and PCI Lanes!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Hyper 212's work so well for their price!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

I had mine up to 4.6 with one.

We've been talking about CPU throttling games, my favorite is World of Tanks! I had a wacky crash or something one day and didn't load the right BIOS profile. My 2550k (2500k sans igpu) was at stock clocks and I was blown away! Game was running so terribly I thought my computer was broken! Cranked it back up and it runs great!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can orient both the cooler and the fans in any direction.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You're assuming a perfectly distributed load. You can't just parallelize a game into equal threads like you can with 3d and video.

Here's an example game's threads:

Main thread
AI
Physics
Sound

So it is 4 different threads, but they are not equal. Another job might be decompressing files or talking to the network. They're just not all going to be going at full speed all the time. Having 2c/4 might allow you to squeeze in a smaller job without needing the power of an entire extra core. Like another said, the "small improvement" that the difference gives you is enough to tip the scale from unplayable to playable.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 14, 2016

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What he means here is have your sticks either in Slot 1 & 3 or 2 & 4. 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 are single-channel.

I can't ever keep this straight. Is that always true? Assuming a DDR3/4 board with 4 slots.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What a crazy straw man argument. Why did you type all that? Yes, some people here have been unreasonably on one side of that silly argument or the other. On the whole though, I think we have a pretty nuanced view of the pressures, both profit and physics wise.

Hope you feel better.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Blorange posted:

The only use case for fast, single threaded processing has been consumer gaming. Everyone else in the market either wants efficiency for battery life or efficiency so they can pay less to cool their datacenters.

What about Solidworks?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's interesting, the consoles have 8 cores, but even the new scorpio in the xbox is otherwise anemic in the horsepower department in terms of single threaded performance. 2.3ghz not jaguar , not ryzen isn't impressive. (Though it is running GDDR5 RAM)
On the other hand the graphics are what, ten times more powerful?

I guess what I really want to know is when I can get graphics memory for my pc's processor.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

Does anyone remember that article that showed that RAM frequency was important for frametime consistency on Intel CPUs from the last few years? I think it at least covered Sandy bridge through haswell, and basically demolished the old "ram frequency doesn't matter at all" mantra that was common for a long time. Was written about one or two years ago iirc

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

This? We need things like reddit bots to post poo poo that people always ask for! This is 50 percent of my posts for the last year!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
RAM is not worth upgrading. Increasing your turbo boost (overclocking) certainly is.

My opinion on RAM comes from my experience going from 1600 to 2133 with my 2500k. If my processor is not OC'd up to 4.5ghz where it should be it seems like the computer is broken. I tried the faster RAM speed, my motherboard only got it stable at 1866 and honestly I can't tell the difference. It is SO lost in the noise of SSD's, graphics card upgrades and the aforementioned overclock.

I play games like Rocket League, World of Tanks, DOOM, X-COM 2 and they all run great at over 100fps at 1440p. (except x-com 2, duh).

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I attempted to go two up, but my six year old board wasn't having it. It's not going to be a big noticable jump even if you get results like the digital foundry article. Maybe certain specific titles, and it's a lot of money for single digit performance increases. I think I made clear that I was offering anecdotal evidence as well.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
No

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's always risk. Your system is always vulnerable to hacks and exploits. This is just one more. If you are this worried, you shouldn't have any personal information on your computer ever, patched or not.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

OK but what about the regular SNES Classics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcV9uIY5i4

You can execute arbitrary code in Super Mario World.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Could hackers use this code to issue a vigilante update to make the system not vulnerable? I guess, the better question is, can AMD fix any of this with a patch?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ryzen makes enough sense on the Mac since the main issue we have around here is single thread performance. An apple designed arm chip would require a lot of new code or a lot of fancy, relatively slow virtualization.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://hothardware.com/news/intel-coffee-lake-mobile-desktop-optane-core-i9

The next revolutionary release of Intel processors. 6 core in a laptop is cool. One of the chips turbos up to 4.8ghz.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12607/intel-expands-8th-gen-core-core-i9-on-mobile-iris-plus-desktop-chipsets-and-vpro

Here's a better article.

Is this update crushing the Intel fan boy, or just such a bunch of nothing that no one cares?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Shut the gently caress up you idiots. Go hate gently caress each other in private messages. You both talk like you miss your therapists.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that Elon guy can't make money at all, sheesh!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

lol if you think "has made lots of money" correlates well to "is actually smart, or ethical"

Who said anything about ethical? Keep telling yourself that you're the smart one and Elon is the stupid one, that'll get you far.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Everyone has dumb ideas! All the time! What makes this guy successful though? Some kind of intelligence, right? It's not ALL luck!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Telsa is going to be vying with Uber for the most unprofitable company in the history of the world pretty soon

This got started because someone said something to the effect of "...Keller realized Musk is a loving idiot..."

What's your point? Amazon ran a deficit for years, so maybe he's more of a Bezos, except, he's beating Bezos (and ULA, and Russia) with his rocket company. So I guess I'll make the claim that god head Elon will turn Tesla into the most important car company in the history of man. Do you agree that Musk is a loving idiot, or is it that not all of his businesses are profitable?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Nor does it have to do with his intelligence.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ha! Now do the same style take down for Intel!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This just makes my 2550k's relative performance that much higher!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My system recently wouldn't sleep on it's own or stay asleep. I found some neat commands that let me disable certain devices ability to wake the system. Apparently my mouse was twitching when I wasn't around.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Has Intel over-segmented its' technology into a confusing nightmare? AVX is a powerful tool, no? Does AMD or ARM offer simpler or easier ways to target performance advantages? Also, maybe I don't understand what this means.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

We still really don’t need USB-C on desktops. I’m sorry if this upsets some of you. Have they even sorted out how to make a front panel connector?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409&pagenumber=475&perpage=40#post485007374

They exist, but are on few boards and cases.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

i might've been using the wrong unit. I undervolt by 90mv. that might be .09 for you.

Believe it or not 90 mv is .09 volts for everyone.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Here's a decent look at a custom loop vs a high end air cooler. https://youtu.be/vw4HONEkj4s

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I was like oh neat!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2018/06/27/amd-threadripper-32-core-processor-price-leak-shock-low-cost-will-worry-intel/

I followed the links and it is to himself then to wccftech so it's like ok what is this guys job?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

What part do you not understand?

He's confused because you are wrong. They are very much high end laptops by multiple measures. It doesn't mean that it isn't some lovely design if they truly are overheating that easily, but these things are NICE.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I believe that is a BIOS setting that you switch before install. I made that mistake myself, although being on AMD all I miss is the quick boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
For certain tasks the threading can be very advantageous, but for our purposes, the higher single threaded bandwidth is probably going to give better high end performance.