Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Forgive the noob question,

So with cpu multiplier overclocks the norm with sandy bridge, how do different memory speeds come in to play? Will all motherboards recognize the timings on my memory automatically? Is it as simple as "Just get a matching pair of ddr3 1600 dimms"?

Edit: Is it still a bad idea to fill all four slots if you could get two higher capacity ones instead for around the same price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
And all those hardware encode solutions don't work for poo poo for real time applications.

That's a pretty terrible launch for AMD. Were they expecting much higher clockrates? I mean, the 2500k can be OCed by a good 33% on air as well. drat.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I probably missed all this discussion when SNB came out, but, are people not a little miffed that in order to get the unlocked chips you have to also pick up the integrated GPU? 95% of people who intend to overclock are going to have a pcie card anyway. Wouldn't the chip be cheaper, smaller, and potentially cooler without a whole bunch of unused transistors? Can you even run an extra monitor off the IGP if you have a video card?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well that makes sense. I guess I got the impression they were all pointless from the SemiAccurate page. In hindsight I think that dude is just butthurt that nobody cares about linux?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zri1PFQOijw
Isn't each wafer worth 5-6 digits too?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Idf keynote summary looked hella lame. Did I overlook anything?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

necrobobsledder posted:

I can't wait for the ARM v. x86 ISA bugs in my datacenter and having to install ARM tools alongside x86 everywhere.

Haha welcome to my life :smithicide:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

What uses AVX instructions in real-world workloads?

Libyuv, used by hangouts and chrome for software encode/decode will use it if it's available, and fall back to ssse3 or sse2 if necessary.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You might think that, but it's only because you haven't tried using a modern resolution and don't know any better.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Is there anyone who is serious about the quality of their output, which you presumably are if you're making 4k, that is satisfied with gpu or intel hardware offload? Also I can't think of anyone in the world who would be pushed over the edge on a buying decision over a feature like this. It's just not something you hang a generation of products on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They're coming but slowly. Andandtech had an article today (how topical!) on a sharp demo unit that went up at some asian product faire:

27 inches, 7680x4320 pixels by 10x3 bit depth by 120hz framerate.

Yes that is 8 DP cables in parallel lol. I have to imagine this thing will be $50,000 if it's ever released.