Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001
I'm looking to build a new PC soonish and for some reason i want one of the Samsung M.2 drives in it. I also want SLI. Would i need the 5830 or would the 5820 be sufficient (wrt pcie lanes) ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001

Alereon posted:

Why are you not getting a 4790K?

I don't think theres a good Z97 motherboard that supported bootable M.2 and SLI ?

edit: my understanding is what BurritoJustice said, theres only the ASRock board supports it.

The Lord Bude posted:

There is no legitimate reason to be buying Haswell-E for typical home use or gaming. Get a 4790K if you want to be spendy, but even that is overkill for a gaming machine and you should probably just get a 4690K. Both have more than enough PCIe lanes for an M.2 Drive and a couple of graphics cards.

It's also extremely unlikely that you need SLI unless you have a 4k screen. You can get outstanding performance even at 2560x1440 with a single, top end graphics card like the 780ti. Getting multiple cheaper cards is almost never a good idea - tons of games don't support SLI properly, and half the time it will cause glitches or stuttering or all sorts of fuckups on new games before they get patched/new drivers come out.

Given the option i'd rather buy a 4790K but without proper M.2 support i'd rather not.
My intent is to buy a 4k monitor as well.

I think the obvious question is 'why ?' and the best answer i can give is i _really_ want the M.2 functionality. A poor answer admittedly, and given it'll cost an extra 700 quid (550 with the 5820) i'm debating getting a 4790K and a Samsung 850.

thanks for the replies.

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001
Cheers for all the responses and extra info. I'm moving towards the 4790K system with an 850 Pro (assuming they ever come out in the UK) though the Mini Haswell-E System or my original plan aren't ruled out as yet. Now to see if Nvidia are announcing their 800/900 series cards soon.