Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

This makes me wonder just how much of a difference my two most recent computers are. C2D e6750 @ ....3.5ghz? I can't even remember. Compared to my 2600k @ 4.5ghz.

Hell, how does my 2600k compare to whatever the latest processors are?

I was actually just doing some cursory research on this and was amazed that 3 years hasn't really pushed the envelope TOO far for CPUs. I mean yeah sure Haswell is superior to Sandy Bridge, but you could still have a perfectly awesome computing experience on high-end Sandy Bridge hardware you bought back then. The only semi-daily use thing that really pushes my CPU to the limit and would cost me a few seconds is RAW photo processing work in Lightroom, but that's not my daily job or anything.

HalloKitty posted:

You've learnt all there is anyone can tell you, really. Read as much as you can about doing it.

You may gently caress up the chip. But if you don't, you'll get good gains.

Don't pretend the risk is small; because even if it is, you could still fall into the inevitable failure rate. If you can't afford to replace the chip, don't consider it.

Delidding is so absurdly easy if you know someone with a vise. I took my brand new i5 to my garage, chucked it in the vise with some duct tape on the edges for cushioning, whacked the IHS off, and left my garage in about 45 seconds total.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ignoarints posted:

I have a vice but the surface is just way too rough (I would think) to get a good wide grip on a small chip. It's a beast (pressed control arm bushings with that thing) but I'm trying to find a cheap vice with a flat surface. Glad to hear it's so easy, the videos ive seen seem to suggest the same thing. I keep imagining slipping and crushing all the pins with the wood everytime I see a video though

There aren't pins on Haswell, the pins are in the socket now, so that's one less thing to worry about. I suppose you could shear off SOMETHING down there but it's pretty easy if you just set the wood block against it snugly.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ignoarints posted:

I can't believe I didn't notice something like that when I put it in. Good news though. drat, I might just do this today.

edit: nm couldnt source that CLU stuff locally. not even easy to find online

I got mine off amazon.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ignoarints posted:

I'd hope for more 4.6 4.7. Seems reasonable based on what other people have gotten. Some have gotten 4.8+ but with a better cooler than I have.

So yes

I have a delidded CLP'ed watercooled 4670K that won't stabilize past 4.5ghz. I haven't jacked the volts crazy but temps on non synthetics like x264 reach mid 60s and synthetics go high 70s so that's about where I'm stopping. It's really luck of the draw more than temp controlling.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ignoarints posted:

What's your voltage at? I was stable for 30 minutes or so at 4.5 but the temperatures kept spiking above 80* and I stopped it. That's at 1.29 volts. From the guides I've read I'm probably going to see what I can get at 1.35 volts before calling it quits. Also I read people having some luck stabilizing by lowering the uncore (assuming it was overclocked along with the multiplier) and increasing vring voltage. My uncore is at 4.2 GHz as it is and from what I understand that's already a bit high. I have some wiggle room, but hopefully the processor can do it at all.

Either way, I'll find out, picked up the CPU Mutilator today for $13

I'm wondering now if I should replace the paste between the water cooler and chip with the CLU stuff as well. From the delidding guides I've read through people are using good paste for that and the CLU for under the heat spreader, I wonder why that is. Is it just obnoxious to use or something?

The temp deltas between CLP/U and something normal like AS5 are something in the 3-5C range, but I chose to go with ease of use/reassembly/etc and just used AS5 between my IHS and H60 watercooler. I used CLP under the IHS. CLP/U require a really annoying process to remove, which isn't a HUGE deal unless you are someone who is removing/reinstalling coolers... but honestly if you needed to do it ONCE, EVER, it wouldn't be worth it IMO. Your heat isn't keeping you from 4.5+, it's almost certainly just your chip. Are you liquid cooling and seeing temps spike above 80? On what, P95 small or IBT?

My voltages are 2.0V input, 1.29Vcore, and 1.25v cache. I have my uncore at 38x. Your uncore CAN restrict overclocking and dropping it a little to get more out of the core is worth it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ignoarints posted:

Well maybe they improved the tim :Idunno:

or the glue spacing or whatever the culprit really is. Seems like a really obvious and simply fix that people have complained about since day 1

They don't need to improve the TIM or glue because the processors work perfectly well within spec only weird overclockers (like me) are complaining about it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

I for one certainly won't be making the same early adopter mistake I made with DDR3 ram. There's nothing I regret more than blowing 2 grand on Ram.

:O

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't understand why they don't save some money by ditching the integrated gpu from -k processors altogether. Only enthusiasts/gamers have any interest in -k processors anyhow, and there isn't a single one of us on the face of the earth who wouldn't have a real gpu. It's entirely redundant.

Maybe harder/more expensive to have a separate production line?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

deimos posted:

I still use quicksync on an offscreen.

Speaking of quicksync, why can't I enable it in Open Broadcaster Software? I have an i5-4670K. Is there some way I enable the stock video chipset that I don't know about? I went through my BIOS last night and couldn't find anything.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SamDabbers posted:

LucidLogix Virtu support

Don't make things up

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SamDabbers posted:

Some ASUS motherboards (P8Z77-v, for one) have a BIOS option for multi-GPU mode and the caption says "enable this for LucidLogix Virtu." It's a lovely gimmick, but the multi-GPU mode option makes QuickSync work in OBS while your dedicated GPU runs your games.

QuickSync encodes look like poo poo at reasonable bitrates though, so you might want to do this if you're setting this up for live streaming.

I wasn't for anything besides general experimenting. My PC seems like it can handle 720p 30FPS streaming with no big deal in the tests I've done, though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

Yea, I can't see a good reason to upgrade my i5-2500k. 99% of the time I'm GPU or limited by my storage.

With SATA Express not being included with Broadwell, what's the point in upgrading? I'm waiting for Skylake.

Basically if you are pushing your CPU to 100% for things like scientific data crunching, photo manipulation/importing/exporting (like you were a pro wedding photographer doing huge bulk stuff all day), video encoding, I can see the need, but I'm hoping to be able to use this i5-4series for a long-rear end time. Even the 2series stuff is just barely worse, I'd have to be super worried about saving every precious minute of my day to NEED to upgrade to a Haswell. It's pretty awesome.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So is there any word on whether or not the new CPUs will work on the previous generation of motherboard?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

New CPUs won't work in Z87, only old Haswells. Everything LGA1150 will work in Z97, up until and including Broadwell. Skylake is going to be LGA1151 or something I believe.

Is it possible with a BIOS upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

For purposes of the system building OP: Haswell refresh DOES or DOES NOT require a 9-series chipset board?