Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Intel prohibiting benchmarks and comparisons on their newest microcode release fixing various of the security issues?

https://perens.com/2018/08/22/new-intel-microcode-license-restriction-is-not-acceptable/
i'm.....not.....owned...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the inspiron 7375 isn't garbage, but the driver support for it is

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

save for extreme cases (such as using an atom or AM1-based CPU) higher resolutions don't have an appreciable time taxing CPUs, as simply pumping out that much in pixels is a function of GPU bandwidth alone

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Palladium posted:

When it comes to energy conservation what really ilks me is CFL lights are still sold because people are still loving buying them just because they are $1 cheaper than the LED counterpart sitting right next to it that uses 40% less energy and at least 5x the lifespan.
some people really do just want piss lights

but don't LED bulbs come in piss light colors too? :shrug:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I don't really know how they think they're going to keep competitive with AMD at this point when I can get another 2 cores and HT for the same money.
but 5ghz

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

mcbexx posted:

How is "gamer marketing" still so off the mark and cringeworthy after eSports and streaming have been a thing for years now?

Maybe it's my age showing and teenagers totally dig the style and aesthetic, but the fact that even the audience at these launch events couldn't be less enthusiastic most of the time should clue the marketing teams in that they are doing a horrible, horrible job at addressing their core demographic.

There's press only at the venue I presume, but you're live streaming this. Geez.

Oh that's it already? As kids say these days, "lol".
embarrassing marketing is how you know they're really trying

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure the board makers *hate* mITX. They take a ton of time to engineer over ATX style boards, and it makes up so little of the market share I highly doubt they ever make a profit on doing it, but feel they HAVE to, because all the other companies and reviewers will laugh at them if they don't.
And then there's Asrock

Kind of bet they're pretty sad they're unable to fit Threadripper in mini-itx

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

OEMs are mainly unhappy with Intel not supplying as many CPUs as they're used to, which has been documented over the past month over their 14nm volume shortages. Not sure what else you're extrapolating from that weekly.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

tell me about the milkman conspiracy

edit seriously in the same loving video steve also spends 15 seconds on how that was wishful loving thinking on amd's part, this isn't hard

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 14, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hold The Ashes posted:

He says it's wishful thinking in this quarter. He immediately says it's a certain possibility in the months after it. You know, seconds after what you're saying you managed to hear. It isn't hard.
you seem to have a habit of reading way more into what's being said than what's actually been said and not just in this topic so i think i'll just leave it at that

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

edit: don't want to be responsible for the next mass shooting

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hold The Ashes posted:

*furiously replies struggling to reach that vaunted 10 page of posts*

"If I can just ninja edit enough posts I'll be able to avoid someone wondering why I just said listening to something someone said two seconds after what I lost my poo poo over is reading too much into things"
you're providing way too much headspace and time into what people are doing while figuratively jerking off at not-work and at this point i long stopped finding it hilarious and actually legitimately worry

have you tried calmly sitting down and maybe asking your general provider about this

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Oh did a /g/ threadshitter get an account, nice
"i got permaban from 4chan, i shall go to the site that birthed it maybe my posting career may have better luck there :kiddo:"

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 15, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Oh man that power climb

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Winks posted:

I swear one of the reviews had a stock turbo table and the 9700k's all core was 100 MHz less than the 9900k. Then add in ~30% for hyperthreading doesn't ~160 going to ~220 seem like right where it should be for a test like that?
Last time this kind of HT powerclimb nonsense happened was all the way back in the Prescott days

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

8086ks are binned 8700s.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:captainpop:

Oh boy good luck z370 owners with VRMs not specced for above 140w draw

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

140w nominal power consumption probably isn't going to kill a high-end z370 board which are already specced for that anyway.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Winks posted:

We shouldn't have complained about the toothpaste :saddowns:
They likely did it because toothpaste would have melted the CPU regardless and this is just out of necessity.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

il serpente cosmico posted:

I was expecting the change to a soldiered TIM to make up for the additional power and heat the two additional cores were putting out. I also thought it'd overclock decently well, since delidded coffee lakes have much better thermals than stock ones.

It's more that they're putting the default boost clocks right at the remaining headroom they had

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sininu posted:

Oh, I did not know they made chips for Apple. Any danger of Apple buying them out?
Given that it's only a low double digit percentage of their output at best, no. TSMC has a ton of customers, especially now that they're the leading process fab.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eames posted:

I think the non-K SKUs will be interesting this time around, seeing how overclocking is becoming less and less useful and factory/turbo clocks are pretty aggressive already.

Somebody (:iiam:) leaked Icelake Geekbench scores on the day after the 10nm media rumors... doubled L2 cache, 50% larger L1D cache, >10% IPC increase. :salt:

https://translate.google.com/transl...t-text=&act=url
Sustained turbo could also have been improved so it'd be more like 8% actual next iteration of Core + 7% better turbo.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 24, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

replacement boards are no longer being made except for specific business-only contracts

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

forbidden dialectics posted:

Would it help to know the waterblock is held down by a 5 year old EK "Naked Ivy" kit with nylon spacers I just sort of eyeballed to make up the difference in z-height?

:fap:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:stonklol:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Well yeah the guy who will make Skynet real is going to do that

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sincx posted:

I miss AsRock's crazy boards.
They still make insanely dense boards, they're just really small boards for the sockets.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

movax posted:

If I was less lazy I'd post here friendship with 2600K ending, now 3960X is my new friend.

so many threads, so much RAM
...which 3960X? :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

That new liquid cooler Gamers Nexus just reviewed should be up to the task

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15758/intels-10th-gen-comet-lake-desktop

quote:

Users wanting the 10-core 5.3 GHz will need to purchase the new top Core i9-10900K processor, which has a unit price of $488, and keep it under 70 ºC to enable Intel’s new Thermal Velocity Boost. Not only that, despite the 125 W TDP listed on the box, Intel states that the turbo power recommendation is 250 W – the motherboard manufacturers we’ve spoken to have prepared for 320-350 W from their own testing, in order to maintain that top turbo for as long as possible.
:supaburn:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The 4+1 core Lakefield is the only new Atom-based core design so far, right? That lineup has been rather quiet lately, with the most recent releases being slightly upclocked processors showing up in 2019.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

There are all sorts of plausible sounding theories from all sorts of places so the real answer is probably just hell dimension
from what i've been reading on semiengineering and the like the problem was very likely that intel banked on the wrong materials to use at the metal layers and tsmc used the correct ones

Cygni posted:

Heres the mask breakdown for Comet Lake, looks like only 2 distinct masks this time (a soldered 10 core and a 6 core with TIM) vs 4 with Coffee Lake R.

https://twitter.com/momomo_us/status/1258705650869137409
Intel finally doing core harvesting on non-4 core SKUs, nice

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 9, 2020

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVBlCfb72M&t=215s nice loving copy! *honk honk*

Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: cock speed

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 21, 2020

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is it? Really? Do I need to hunt for specific modules with fabled B-die or some poo poo like that? I'd rather not. The fastest ECC UDIMMs I see are rated 2666MHz. The 3200MHz ones are typicall RDIMM. Guess what I can't use.

they're selling second-hand EUDIMM 3200 modules

https://www.amazon.com/2x32GB-DDR4-3200-PC4-25600-Unbuffered-Memory/dp/B084D9ZHR5/

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

isn't there a Mac Pro that runs with a Ryzen/Threadripper CPU? I could almost swear LTT did one a while back
it's a hackintosh

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17308/the-intel-w680-chipset-overview-ecc-for-alder-lake-workstations

They're speculating that all 12th gen Core CPUs will support (unbuffered) ECC with W680 instead of just the lower-rung SKUs, which is really interesting. If this means Xeon E is dead it could only really be a good thing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DoombatINC posted:

I was super lucky that the open box UHD drive I got for my HTPC had an unencrypted firmware revision that I was able to flash with something aftermarket so I can use an MKV converter to hook into the back of VLC for realtime decryption; this is a totally reasonable amount of abstraction to go from "I bought a movie on blu-ray" to "I am watching a movie on blu-ray"
Yeah I really love that piracy is better service than actually playing these things when it comes to blu-rays on PC.

It's all moot now that most people don't give a single gently caress about compression and believe streaming services will last forever, but people with these drives are among the last consumers of physical media and by doing poo poo like this they're leaving money on the table. A rounding error's worth of money, admittedly, but an "ideal" market would take advantage of even small bits of practically effortless revenue here and there.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Welp mystery solved. Builder plugged in a loaner 12100 to flash the board to 13. Gen, and promptly forgot about it :3:
free cpu!!!!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

redeyes posted:

Just to finish off this mystery. It was actually a defective 13700k. Well slap my rear end and call me sally because that is unexpected.
are you one of those people with electronics-destroying EMP fields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RIP Optane, killed by falling registered ram prices and dumping memory into fast sequential NAND